Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 08:35 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,473,186 times

Advertisements

So I flew in yesterday with my eyes wide open to evaluate a possible relocation from Atlanta. I'm originally from Chicago and have traveled quite a bit over the years, but not to Denver. I caught the RTD bus from the airport to Union Station. The first thing I noticed was how dirty the streets are along the path from the airport to Union Station. Is there not a law against littering here? or why not put the prison population to work cleaning up the sides of the roads? Just a thought...

I arrive at Union station and pop out of the hole, look around and think, wow!, this is certainly no Chicago! However, I did see a good deal of construction occurring, which is positive. I decide to skip the free 16th st. mall ride and hoof it down the street with my luggage to check things out. As I progress down 16th street from Union Station the situation improves, many more/taller buildings, shops and a really cool atmosphere. By the time I arrive at my hotel, I'm actually impressed! I spent most of the day/night just walking around and your downtown is as lively and cool as any place I've ever been! The people are all really friendly, although I'd call it an eclectic mix.

So the downtown get's a thumbs up from me. Next, I need to venture out into the suburbs to see what's happening there. More info to come...

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 08:49 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,008 times
You should feel right at home. According the State of Georgia website:

Litter & Illegal Dumping In Georgia
You don't have to go far to see that Georgia has a litter and illegal dumping problem. Just drive down one of the state's busier highways and count the areas that are strewn with discarded packaging, scraps from blown-out tires, and lonely old shoes. Or stroll down a back road and look at the old refrigerators and stoves, car batteries, construction materials and other junk people have dumped for others to clean up!

Old 12-14-2014, 09:06 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
So I flew in yesterday with my eyes wide open to evaluate a possible relocation from Atlanta. I'm originally from Chicago and have traveled quite a bit over the years, but not to Denver. I caught the RTD bus from the airport to Union Station. The first thing I noticed was how dirty the streets are along the path from the airport to Union Station. Is there not a law against littering here? or why not put the prison population to work cleaning up the sides of the roads? Just a thought...
That "path" from the airport to Union Station is also known as I-70. I haven't noticed a lot of trash along that "path" but I suppose it's possible on any given day. I've been to a lot of cities in the US and I'd say that Denver is one of the cleanest that I've seen.

Quote:
I arrive at Union station and pop out of the hole, look around and think, wow!, this is certainly no Chicago!
That must have been a relief. Imagine how shocking it would have been to have purchased and airline ticket to Denver only to end up in Chicago.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:10 AM

6 posts, read 12,613 times
You could have picked up some the trash instead of complaining about it. I don't think people in jail left it there to ruin your Denver experience, so why should it be their responsibility to clean it up. Maybe ATL is a better fit for you?

Old 12-14-2014, 09:14 AM

lol, wow, dwell on the negative much? I make one constructive criticism and everyone piles on. Maybe Denver isn't for me after all...

People are in jail for making bad decisions that we tax payers have to support. Having them get out and pick some trash to cover their overhead seems like a reasonable trade off, no? Jeez...

Old 12-14-2014, 09:22 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
Quote:
lol, wow, dwell on the negative much? I make one constructive criticism and everyone piles on. Yeah, maybe Denver isn't for me after all...
A lot of people post here looking for aspects of a different city in Denver and then are disappointed because Denver is Denver, not NYC or Chicago or San Francisco, etc. Then some of them end up moving here anyway and then complain because it's not what they really wanted. Or they try to change Denver to fit what they missed about their old city and that tends to irk people who like Denver just the way it is. It sounds to me like you really like Chicago and are looking for a place like Chicago to call home. Why not just move back to Chicago? Not trying to be harsh, just being honest.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:43 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,094,770 times
Don't let Internet Warriors bother you, and certainly don't confuse them for the typical Denverite.

Although I must say your comment is odd. I've traveled quite a bit, and there aren't too many US cities the same size I'd be able to say are as clean as Denver (litter-wise at least - Denver has some air quality issues). Usually CD visitors who post on here say things like 'I was amazed about how clean Denver was.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It sounds to me like you really like Chicago and are looking for a place like Chicago to call home. Why not just move back to Chicago? Not trying to be harsh, just being honest.
That's certainly a possibility. No city is perfect, not Chicago and certainly not Atlanta. Chicago has terrible weather. I like the snow, but not the eternal dark and gloomy Winter that Chicago offers.

It seems no one noticed the positive things I had to say about Denver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Don't let Internet Warriors bother you, and certainly don't confuse them for the typical Denverite.

Although I must say your comment is odd. I've traveled quite a bit, and there aren't too many US cities the same size I'd be able to say are as clean as Denver (litter-wise at least - Denver has some air quality issues). Usually CD visitors who post on here say things like 'I was amazed about how clean Denver was.
Fair enough, maybe I caught the route on a bad day. I was also going to ask about the haze, but thought it may be my imagination.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:26 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,008 times
The downside is that by leading with a negative comment it overshadowed your positive review of what you've seen so far. If and when you move here remember not to be one of those people who lecture about how you do things "back home." Wouldn't want you to get off on the wrong foot!

I hope you're enjoying a beautiful snowy day in Denver! Let us know which 'burbs you visit, and at least the snow will cover anything like trash on a major highway.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:48 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,546,884 times
Quote:
lol, wow, dwell on the negative much? I make one constructive criticism and everyone piles on. Maybe Denver isn't for me after all...

People are in jail for making bad decisions that we tax payers have to support. Having them get out and pick some trash to cover their overhead seems like a reasonable trade off, no? Jeez...
I was thinking the same thing. People are kinda defensive today. I-70 there is probably the worst introduction to Denver. It's industrial and dirty West of the airport.

Glad you're getting to see some snow today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver