U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 12:20 PM

9,574 posts, read 5,769,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
What do they cut their salads with?
If you want to replicate the Casa Bonita salad at home get a head of iceberg lettuce, find the white parts of the lettuce and ensure at least half make it into the salad. Slice up some unripe tomatoes and put them on the lettuce. Top with a can of Fancy Feast Cat food and you are done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 01:31 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,520,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
As for your knock on Denver's Mexican food scene, what style of Mexican are you after? There a bunch of good hole in the wall places if you are after authentic.
That wasn't a knock, it's just my honest opinion. Would you prefer unilateral praise?

The kind that you get in mexico, outside of the resorts. Or in San Diego if you pick the right places, and at one or two places in the Bay Area, and nowhere else. Think... street tacos, lengua, fresh mariscos, and hand made tortillas and torta buns, among other things. I have found a few decent hole in the wall places in Colorado which were ok about certain dishes, but they don't have table service and are not where people go when they want to "go out".

Admittedly, I rarely eat out anymore anyways because it's usually over-priced, heavy, extremely caloric, loud, crowded and a real hassle with kids anyways. Still, as far as food goes, I'm not going to recommend Colorado for anything other than campfire cooking and/or freshly-hunted elk no matter how many urbanophiles get in a twist about it. If someone wants to know about the handful of exceptionally good places around town (none of which serve mexican to my knowledge), there are already threads about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
If you want to replicate the Casa Bonita salad at home get a head of iceberg lettuce, find the white parts of the lettuce and ensure at least half make it into the salad. Slice up some unripe tomatoes and put them on the lettuce. Top with a can of Fancy Feast Cat food and you are done!
Amusing, but exaggerations don't really help people form accurate expectations.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:42 PM

3,942 posts, read 3,243,244 times
Quote:

The kind that you get in mexico, outside of the resorts. Or in San Diego if you pick the right places, and at one or two places in the Bay Area, and nowhere else. Think... street tacos, lengua, fresh mariscos, and hand made tortillas and torta buns, among other things. I have found a few decent hole in the wall places in Colorado which were ok about certain dishes, but they don't have table service and are not where people go when they want to "go out".
SkyDog- I agree with otterprods on this. I am from Texas and have been extremely disappointed in Mexican food here, including several places in Aurora/off Colfax (whose names escape me) where I would expect to find something better. I lean towards Tex Mex, of course, but I know I won't find that.

But, I would love to hear any of your suggestions. We are always willing to try out new places. Like Otter, I am especially interested in places that are "sit down" dining quality and family friendly.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I lean towards Tex Mex, of course, but I know I won't find that.
yes, Tex-mex is its own thing and is quite good. New Mexican can be very good too, but most places here serve some kind of hybrid of two or more of those styles which is not really good as either.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:

Amusing, but exaggerations don't really help people form accurate expectations.
Considering you haven't been to Casa Bonita, you should probably visit before coming to the conclusion that my description was inaccurate. You may be surprised.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:

Sorry just had to add to this because I saw a picture of the beloved CB salad and it jogged my memory. It also comes with some canned Pinto Beans, shredded cheese, a couple of onion slices, sour cream and a dollop of canned Guacamole. I might make this for dinner tonight! My cat will be super mad though that I stole her Fancy Feast.

To see a beautiful photo of this heavenly salad, here you go:
http://bethpartin.com/wp-content/upl...d-Feb-2011.jpg

Old 12-15-2014, 02:31 PM

13,954 posts, read 20,213,178 times
Default CB is awesome!

As of this very instant in time, Casa Bonita has 666 reviews on the Yelp
Casa Bonita - Lakewood, CO | Yelp

Old 12-15-2014, 02:46 PM

14,115 posts, read 20,826,585 times
I've heard it's complete crap. I have zero interest in going there.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Considering you haven't been to Casa Bonita, you should probably visit before coming to the conclusion that my description was inaccurate. You may be surprised.
I said exaggerated, not inaccurate. Unless there was literally a pile of cat food on it (in which case please cal health dept asap) then your description was exaggerated and not accurate. All I'm really saying is that if it's really that bad (and i'm sure it is) stating the facts will get the point across better than exaggeration.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:12 PM

21,017 posts, read 11,648,200 times
It is truly hard to underestimate the awfulness of the food at Casa Bonita. I thought "oh, how bad can it be?" before I went. And the answer was truly appallingly bad. Not just flavorless, that would be a step up.

But yeah, the kids love it, mine has been hounding me to go again ever since we went the first time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or