Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 04:14 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,551,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
SkyDog- I agree with otterprods on this. I am from Texas and have been extremely disappointed in Mexican food here, including several places in Aurora/off Colfax (whose names escape me) where I would expect to find something better. I lean towards Tex Mex, of course, but I know I won't find that.

But, I would love to hear any of your suggestions. We are always willing to try out new places. Like Otter, I am especially interested in places that are "sit down" dining quality and family friendly.
Coming from San Diego I have a different taste for Mexican food than what is mostly offered out here. It took me awhile to get used to smothered food. I miss Southern California Carne Asada and the taco shops.

One place that I have come to like recently is Real De Minas.

I have been here for almost 16 years and I have yet to step foot into Casa Bonita.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Not looking for universal praise. Just wondering if I could help point you in the direction of some of the better places I have been.

That said, I hope you understand how ridiculous it sounds to bad mouth a dining scene and then say you hardly ever eat out. How could you possibly know what sort of options are out there? I agree that your exaggerations are not helpful.

Worth a visit......

Street tacos:
Las Margs on Colfax & Marion
La Calle taqueria on Alameda & Tejon

Traditional: Adelita's Cocina Y Cantina
Add Pinche Tacos on Colfax and York across the street from the Three Lions Pub.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:32 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,353,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Coming from San Diego I have a different taste for Mexican food than what is mostly offered out here. It took me awhile to get used to smothered food. I miss Southern California Carne Asada and the taco shops.
I'm still not used to it... 'what is this??... pasta?'
If you're ever headed south, try Rodolfo's Mexican Grill in Monument. It was like a miracle when they opened up a few years back and told me that the owners moved here form SD after working at Alberto's for years and wanted to open their own version of it here. You can definitely get your fix there, and you wont even have to request 'no rice' when you order a burrito. I actually think it's better than Alberto's because it's not a big chain here. Yelp says there's one in Lakewood, but I've never been there and don't know if it's even connected.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
I'm still not used to it... 'what is this??... pasta?'
If you're ever headed south, try Rodolfo's Mexican Grill in Monument. It was like a miracle when they opened up a few years back and told me that the owners moved here form SD after working at Alberto's for years and wanted to open their own version of it here. You can definitely get your fix there, and you wont even have to request 'no rice' when you order a burrito. I actually think it's better than Alberto's because it's not a big chain here. Yelp says there's one in Lakewood, but I've never been there and don't know if it's even connected.
If it is anything like Albertos, Sombreros or Robertos in San Diego I will definitely have to check it out.

There is a place in Aurora called Tata's that is similar also. I have had it a couple of times and it is not bad, but it certainly isn't the best. They have a Colorado burrito which is the equivalent of the California burrito which has carne asada, fries or potatoes, cheese, sour cream and guacamole.

OK, now I am hungry.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
If it is anything like Albertos, Sombreros or Robertos in San Diego I will definitely have to check it out.
Yes it is very much like those, especially Albertos. They have the constant carne asada on the grill, the horchata machine, Coke with real sugar and everything.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:06 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,809,395 times
Appalling food and the whole place smells like chlorine. Puke.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:10 PM

1,311 posts, read 2,002,193 times
Thanks folks I've decided not to go.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:44 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,797,901 times
You guys talking about this Alberto's?
*Alberto's Mexican Food - California Locations - AlbertosWeb.com

Old 12-16-2014, 09:03 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,453,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
Thanks folks I've decided not to go.
Booooooo! Everyone should go once.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Yes, which is actually not as good as it used to be (IMO) because they grew too big. So I guess I should have said that Rodolfos is a lot like the old school Albertos and similar places that I remember from SD in the 80s/90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver