Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 11:00 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
That is the one. I always preferred Roberto's. Also don't confuse Roberto's that are abundant in Las Vegas with the chain in San Diego. Two completely different chains and the quality is quite different. I wish they would expand out here.

I grew up with the Roberto's in Torrey Pines. Great place to stop after surfing or just hanging out at the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 12:17 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Ok, now that we're on the same page, I will admit I was never a big fan of Alberto's. There were better comparable places in the IE IMO.

However, Alberto's is still light years ahead of Casa Bonita.

I'll check with you guys for advice re: San Diego next time I go there.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Ok, now that we're on the same page, I will admit I was never a big fan of Alberto's. There were better comparable places in the IE IMO.

However, Alberto's is still light years ahead of Casa Bonita.

I'll check with you guys for advice re: San Diego next time I go there.
Old Town Mexcian Cafe in Old Town.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:03 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Booooooo! Everyone should go once.
I regretted going 'once'. In fact I wouldn't go back if they payed me $100. For $500 I'd consider it... $1000 if they expected me to actually eat the food.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:35 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Old Town Mexcian Cafe in Old Town.
Really you are going to suggest that tourist trap? My old man liked that place, I thought it was lame.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Really you are going to suggest that tourist trap? My old man liked that place, I thought it was lame.
Tourist trap? I never thought that when I grew up there. There carnitas are awesome. To each their own.

I still prefer the taco shops.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:00 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Tourist trap? I never thought that when I grew up there. There carnitas are awesome. To each their own.

I still prefer the taco shops.
Decades ago Old Town was a nice little gem which didn't seem to have too many tourists and had some neighborhood bars. Now its tourist central and I bet half their business is tourists in peak season. I thought the food there was borderline awful for San Diego, but the setting is nice and so are the fresh tortillas. I think my father liked it only because they would pour stiff drinks.

If someone really wants a sit down meal in San Diego that is as authentic as it can get go to Achiote at the outlets at the border. Their clients are 90% Tijuana residents there just to go shopping so they aren't about to screw the food up. That's a place we could badly use in Denver, but since the clientele would not be the same it would never make it.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:03 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
That's a place we could badly use in Denver, but since the clientele would not be the same it would never make it.
Maybe if they put it on Federal?

Old 12-17-2014, 06:07 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
There is nothing in this episode that exaggerates what Casa Bonita is like. Everyone should see it once.

Casa Bonita - Full Episode - Season 07 - Ep 11 | South Park Studios
I just wanted to add that ever since I have seen this episode I have had a strong desire to go to Casa Bonita and eat Mexican food while watching amazing cave divers. Now that I know it is a real place I am very excited. I honestly am going to have to make it a pilgrimage of sorts before I leave CO, just because of how awesome the episode made Casa Bonita seem. There has to be others like me and they have to have gotten plenty of business soley from the show. CASA BONITA!!!!

Old 12-17-2014, 06:08 PM

As long as I can remember Old Town has always been a tourist place.

If I had my choice I would eat the tacos right off the streets in Tijuana. So good. I haven't been down there in ages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver