U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 02:40 PM

9 posts, read 17,969 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: post removed

Last edited by Yac; 04-28-2015 at 01:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 03:07 PM

12,279 posts, read 8,086,073 times
I wish we would had held my daughter back in Kindergarten but we ended up holding her back for another year of 1st grade mainly because of maturity. Her birthday is in early September and when she started Kindergarten she was the youngest in the school.

She was worried what her classmates would think of her but it turned out to be the best thing. She is thriving and has made a lot of new friends.

Good luck!

Old 12-16-2014, 03:07 PM

3,956 posts, read 3,273,953 times
Have you seen this thread from a couple of weeks ago in the Parenting forum? If not, take a look, it covers most of what you are talking about:

Education question.. should we retain 4 yr old?!

I am in a similar situation as yourself. DD1 has an early Oct Bday too, so she missed the cutoff for K. She had to do an additional year of Pre K and didn't start K until she was almost 6. Unfortunately, we were relocating from out of state when I enrolled her in her Pre K program which was much too play based. She was bored out of her mind and her skills went backwards (BTW, this was a very highly rated preschool program here in Denver). I wish I knew enough to search out Private K. She would have been more challenged. So, first off, you should pat yourself on the back for thinking about doing the private K. Great idea, IMO.

DD2 is a Sept birthday, and she is currently in a great ECE-4 program at a DPS school. As you might be aware, the School Choice forms are now out and due Jan 31st, so I have to decide by then whether to try for another year of ECE or let her go to K. I, personally, think she might benefit from another year of ECE, but I am not sure her teacher thinks it is necessary. My plan is to talk with her teacher and then turn in the form as close to the due date as possible.

Also, I want to say that I cannot imagine any negative feedback from other parents, teachers or administrators about not starting your son until a year later. A ton of people do 2 years of Pre K (or 1 year of private K and then another in public). It is not, in any way, considered "being held back" or "flunking". In fact, I think a lot of educators think parents might be doing it too frequently. I see a lot of benefits from that extra year, but OTOH, I saw my oldest one "waste" a year playing in Pre K again when she could have been doing so much more.

Also consider the following logistics:

1. $$$- yes, I hate to bring it up, but if you are talking about full day DPS K, the cost is about $400 a month versus around $1,000-$1,200 for private (at least where I am in Stapleton).

2. What does your current teacher think? Have you talked with her? If she sees no developmental reason to keep him back, would you still do it?

Ultimately, there is no right or wrong answer here. Really though, take a look at that thread I posted. Lots of good points.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:58 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,903,810 times
I wish I held my son back. Academically he was smart enough to enter the grade he was in, but his maturity lagged behind. It was his problem his entire academic career.

Another thing to remember is that girls mature faster than boys do. At younger ages, the difference in maturity is not nearly as perceptible as it will be later in his school life. The gap will widen between his classmates and him -- especially between the girls and him (and no, I am not talking about romantic relationships later).

It is possible that there will be mature girls in his class that were born in October. Chronologically they will be nearly a year older. Combine that with greater maturity, and the gap may seem more like 2 - 3 years.

With boys, later is almost always better.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:32 PM

384 posts, read 408,960 times
I was an early September kid and I have one. Both of us were NOT held back or "red-shirted." So far it has worked out for both of us I think. It was a little weird being the last kid to get your license, and the last kid to turn 18 (I was already at college), but otherwise I didn't see any real negatives. And I had friends even younger than myself - October, Nov, even a December birthday.

And my child seems to be doing just fine if not better than that at school. Now, she's tall and pretty mature for her age, so that makes a difference.

We asked her preschool teachers, her pediatrician, etc., and everyone thought she should go to Kindergarten.

Other parents with similar aged kids made different decisions, and from what I can tell, that's worked out for them also. Kids are all different, so to me, this needs to be a very personalized decision.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:06 PM

10,905 posts, read 29,393,405 times
It is only December. It is too early to make this decision. Explore your options - but wait a 4.5 year old and a 5 year old are different animals.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:58 PM

3,956 posts, read 3,273,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
It is only December. It is too early to make this decision. Explore your options - but wait a 4.5 year old and a 5 year old are different animals.
Absolutely agree. Here's the problem, though. If you want to get into a decent DPS school, ECE (Pre K) and Kindergarten are assigned via a "lottery" system though the School Choice Office. ECE slots are not guaranteed. Full day Kindergarten is not guaranteed. You must fill out a form sometime between Dec 15th and January 31st. Forms are due Jan 31st. Notifications go out in March. You cannot have 2 forms, so for a 5 year old, you must decide on another year of ECE-4 or Kindergarten, (not both) by no later than Jan 31st.

In Stapleton, for instance, you are guaranteed a slot in one of any of the 5 Elementary schools. You may not get your first choice. You may not get the school across the street, but one that requires driving or bussing (though not far, of course). You may not even get your younger one into the school where their older sibling is. This has been a huge source of dissatisfaction for many parents here. The good thing is they are all great schools, but nonetheless, the logistics can be problematic. I had no idea this was the process when I moved here. Neither did many others, but Buyer beware I suppose.

This does not apply to all DPS schools. I am sure there are many DPS schools where there are good boundaries and if you live in the boundary, you are getting a slot (Steele Elementary in Wash Park, I think).

So, the only thing you can do if you are unsure about whether you want ECE or K is to hedge your bets by reserving a slot in a Private K, paying the deposit, and then deciding in the Spring/early Summer which direction you want to go.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:53 PM

4,853 posts, read 2,980,597 times
I didn't. My son is making straight A's in the talented and gifted classes against the kids you held back.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:34 AM

13,236 posts, read 24,416,312 times
OP, did your child go to preschool?

I have a 3.5 year old in 1/2 day/4x a week preschool at one of our local Jeffco public schools, and even by now I'm not at all worried about him starting Kindergarten in 2 years. He will go to preschool next year as well.

FWIW, I started Kindergarten at the ripe old age of 4 years 10 months back in 1988. I was moved on to a gifted program in 4th grade.

TBH, I would be more concerned about not starting a kid at the regular/accepted time. What if your child was held back a grade/etc? I had a friend graduate high school right after his 19th birthday, while I was still 17 and walking along side him. Just something to think about.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:47 AM

9,595 posts, read 5,800,153 times
A lot of parents "red shirt" their kids nowadays. I think it gives those kids an advantage. I would do it if my kid's birthday was late summer/early fall and if I had concerns regarding their readiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or