U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 05:44 PM

12,175 posts, read 20,977,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkbill View Post
Let's be real.

Fort Collins metro - 250k
Denver metro - 3.2m
Colorado Springs metro - 670k
Pueblo metro - 160k

It's in the smallest metro area on the front range, and the one that is the furthest from the majority of the population in Denver. If the state fair wants to be relevant it will move closer to Denver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
No it's not remote, but doesn't it make sense to put it more in the center of that urban population? Especially when that center has the 70-80% of that entire population corridor?

The Pueblo CSA is actually about 210,000. That being said in terms of market wise Pueblo/ Canon City/ and Colorado Springs are considered one market. It takes about 30 minutes to get to the Springs and Canon City from Pueblo less then it does from the north side of the Denver metro to the south side and the total population is about 1 million. If Denver wants a fair like this they can start their own there is no need to take the fair Pueblo has plus do you really think political reality will let them? Imagine what the fall out would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 05:51 PM

13,973 posts, read 20,244,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkbill View Post
Let's be real.
Let us.
Not going to leave P-Town in your lifetime.
Not about economics.
About helping a dying part of Colorado.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:11 PM

284 posts, read 618,159 times
The majority of state fairs are held in major metropolitan areas. Sorry, but Pueblo is nothing more than a large town and if the fair is losing money year after year, it's time to try something different. Simple economics.

Is moving the fair to Denver the perfect solution? Who knows. I've always thought the State Fair should be geared towards the rural crowd (agriculture, livestock, etc.) and not the urban crowd, so we'll see where it goes. I think a decent solution would be to alternate between Pueblo and Denver every year for the next 6-8 years and see what type of results are produced.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's Go Here View Post
The majority of state fairs are held in major metropolitan areas. Sorry, but Pueblo is nothing more than a large town and if the fair is losing money year after year, it's time to try something different. Simple economics.

Is moving the fair to Denver the perfect solution? Who knows. I've always thought the State Fair should be geared towards the rural crowd (agriculture, livestock, etc.) and not the urban crowd, so we'll see where it goes. I think a decent solution would be to alternate between Pueblo and Denver every year for the next 6-8 years and see what type of results are produced.
Again the Denver metro area is 5 counties. The 3 county region down here has about 1 million people. Plus going back and forth would never work on both ends as the cost to run the grounds is every year.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:31 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,320,447 times
Colorado needs to take note how the neighboring states (AZ, NM, UT) have their state fair near the capitol or in a big metropolitan city. Enough with the traditional nonsense 'its been in Pueblo for 146 years' and move it to the National Western Center in Denver. It's a financial drain to tax payers and makes more sense economically to move in a centralized location. Denver has light rail that goes from downtown to DIA, the 2016 T-Rex construction of I-70, and the Stock Show expansion. Take advantage of it as it will better serve the front range corridor from Cheyenne to Pueblo. Time to become a world class state.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Colorado needs to take note how the neighboring states (AZ, NM, UT) have their state fair near the capitol or in a big metropolitan city. Enough with the traditional nonsense 'its been in Pueblo for 146 years' and move it to the National Western Center in Denver. It's a financial drain to tax payers and makes more sense economically to move in a centralized location. Denver has light rail that goes from downtown to DIA, the 2016 T-Rex construction of I-70, and the Stock Show expansion. Take advantage of it as it will better serve the front range corridor from Cheyenne to Pueblo. Time to become a world class state.
Moving the fair to Denver makes this a world class state? That had to be the most ridiculous thing I have read on this thread. Nevermind that the fair's historic buildings and feel could never be replicated. In my opinion that is more world class then Denver getting everything simply because it's the state Capital.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:57 AM

2,146 posts, read 1,258,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Moving the fair to Denver makes this a world class state? That had to be the most ridiculous thing I have read on this thread. Nevermind that the fair's historic buildings and feel could never be replicated. In my opinion that is more world class then Denver getting everything simply because it's the state Capital.
The Fair is Pueblo or Pueblo is the State Fair; I agree, the Fair should stay in Pueblo County!!!!!Pueblo has grown so much over the years, I love the River Walk, the history, the food, (ahh, the green chilies.)The Museums, the people that have made Pueblo great over the years. There is a heart and soul and so much to offer in Pueblo!!!

Come on folks, Denver is my home town and I love it; but just as Josseppie says Denver can share; leave the State Fair, where it is!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsDEN View Post
I admit I am a new-comer to the area... been here for less than 20 years...
But, wasn't the Western Stock Show at the Denver Stock Yards
always in a somewhat urban setting -- even in 1906?
Loved the Denver Dry!!! The Denver Tea Room, the windows at Christmas, now that was a department store!!!

Pueblo was a huge steel town; I remember driving through, (seems like we did not stop and linger, back then,)Pueblo was a smoky and dirty town, (to a little kid,) although a huge industry and job market.

Pueblo had to re-invent itself and I think it is a great example for all cities.

"Don't knock it 'till you try it!"

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-16-2015 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 07-16-2015, 06:21 AM

572 posts, read 397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Loved the Denver Dry!!! The Denver Tea Room, the windows at Christmas, now that was a department store!!!

Pueblo was a huge steel town; I remember driving through, (seems like we did not stop and linger, back then,)Pueblo was a smoky and dirty town, (to a little kid,) although a huge industry and job market.

Pueblo had to re-invent itself and I think it is a great example for all cities.

"Don't knock it 'till you try it!"

My point was that the Stock Show was always in a more urban area,
Questioning how this is "awkward" as was claimed

Old 07-16-2015, 10:19 AM

2,671 posts, read 2,320,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
The most ridiculous thing is leaving the state fair in Pueblo and the event becoming more of a financial drain YEAR AFTER YEAR in the future, it makes no economic sense. Move it to Denver and it will attract more attendees.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
The most ridiculous thing is leaving the state fair in Pueblo and the event becoming more of a financial drain YEAR AFTER YEAR in the future, it makes no economic sense. Move it to Denver and it will attract more attendees.
Right because the state is not giving the stock show any money. I think I read its something like 300 plus million and if I remember correctly the stock show said if they did not get this they would have to leave?

It been in the local papers and news.

This is from Fox:

Talks of taking the Colorado State Fair out of Pueblo spark concern | FOX21News.com

And KOAA

Pueblo could lose state fair - KOAA.com | Continuous News | Colorado Springs and Pueblo

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-16-2015 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver