Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2014, 12:12 PM

10 posts, read 16,705 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We're moving to Denver after the holidays. My S.O. just accepted a position with a company based in LoDo. I'll likely be working remotely for my current employer until I sort out my own job situation. We're a professional couple without kids (yet) but with a dog (60 lbs., hound) and a cat. We've been eyeing the Highlands as a possible neighborhood - closer toward Sloan Lake than "LoHi". We're interested in walkability and a neighborhood feel. My S.O. will likely be bike commuting to work. I'm a big runner, so proximity to good running paths would be nice (also, does anyone have any running club recs?) In a perfect world, we are looking for a two-bedroom for under $2,000/month.

Do you think the Highlands is a good fit? Are there other neighborhoods that we should be investigating?

I've been scouring padmapper. Are there other apartment rental sites that are good resources?

Everyone keeps going on about how active people in Denver are, but when I was last out there, I ran along the South Platte Trail and did not run into anyone, which was a little dispiriting. Where do people typically run?

Any and all advice is welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 12:34 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default First things first

Download this map
http://www.denvergov.org/denvermaps/...ghborhoods.pdf
so you know what neighborhoods are where.

$2K/month is reasonable.
The dog and cat might be a problem as the vacancy rate is very low (under 2% for single-family houses) and landlords have become very fussy.

If you like Sloan's (apostrophe s is very important to those who live there), then you will like: West Highland, Highland, Berkeley, and some sections of Sunnyside. Also consider Edgewater and the eastern part of Wheat Ridge.
I am very biased. I enjoyed living in Belcaro (Bonnie Brae) for 24 years and now love living in Berkeley.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:00 PM

473 posts, read 848,751 times
Quote:
Everyone keeps going on about how active people in Denver are, but when I was last out there, I ran along the South Platte Trail and did not run into anyone, which was a little dispiriting. Where do people typically run?
Was this during a weekday, and gloomy or overcast? Most weekends especially the trails are packed with joggers, bikers, dogs, bladers, etc. - to the point where you need to be constantly alert NOT to "run into somebody," for real.

I can say for certain it'll be far more populated on a different day. Cherry Creek trail from REI/Confluence Park southeast to Glendale and Aurora is the busiest. South Platte isn't quite as busy from REI southwest to Evans or so, but gets busier south of Hampden where suburban folks pick up the large network of trails in the southwest area, weekends being the most populated.

Hudson Gardens down in Littleton is a nice place to break and meet/chat with folks. It's a restaurant/event center that backs up to the trail and has a cafe open in the summer. And of course Starbucks at REI

Personally a dry and sunny winter morning (with no ice) is my favorite time for a long ride.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:12 PM

10 posts, read 16,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdenver View Post
Was this during a weekday, and gloomy or overcast?
It was an early week day morning at the end of November. It was cold and somewhat overcast, so you may be totally spot on. I was running from RiNo (where we were staying) toward the football stadium and back. I think I saw one other person running.

In Brooklyn, it could be 4 AM and bitterly cold and rainy, and you will still see runners out and about in Prospect Park. I think I was just a little surprised. I'm very involved in my running club in NYC, and the NYC running community is really fantastic, so I was eager to see the Denver running community in action.

We're signed up for a race for when we're out here apartment hunting after Christmas. I'm looking forward to meeting some folks and getting a better feel for the Denver running community/scene.

Thanks so much!

Old 12-18-2014, 01:18 PM

897 posts, read 1,252,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Shoes View Post
It was an early week day morning at the end of November. It was cold and somewhat overcast, so you may be totally spot on. I was running from RiNo (where we were staying) toward the football stadium and back. I think I saw one other person running.

In Brooklyn, it could be 4 AM and bitterly cold and rainy, and you will still see runners out and about in Prospect Park. I think I was just a little surprised. I'm very involved in my running club in NYC, and the NYC running community is really fantastic, so I was eager to see the Denver running community in action.

We're signed up for a race for when we're out here apartment hunting after Christmas. I'm looking forward to meeting some folks and getting a better feel for the Denver running community/scene.

Thanks so much!
Spend a second thinking about the amount of people living in Brooklyn (I lived in BK for 13+ years) vs the amount of people living downtown Denver.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:20 PM

897 posts, read 1,252,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Download this map
http://www.denvergov.org/denvermaps/...ghborhoods.pdf
so you know what neighborhoods are where.

$2K/month is reasonable.
The dog and cat might be a problem as the vacancy rate is very low (under 2% for single-family houses) and landlords have become very fussy.

If you like Sloan's (apostrophe s is very important to those who live there), then you will like: West Highland, Highland, Berkeley, and some sections of Sunnyside. Also consider Edgewater and the eastern part of Wheat Ridge.
I am very biased. I enjoyed living in Belcaro (Bonnie Brae) for 24 years and now love living in Berkeley.
You have to be such a stickler for names? Who cares man, this isn't the first time you mentioned how the "old timers call it xyz vs abc". What's in a name anyway? What's the big difference?

Genuinely curious

Old 12-18-2014, 01:55 PM

473 posts, read 848,751 times
Quote:
I'm very involved in my running club in NYC, and the NYC running community is really fantastic, so I was eager to see the Denver running community in action.
Washington Park has a tons of runners, summer nights it's busy, but not packed. Very large park and paths around the perimeter so don't have to share with cyclists and roller bladers. It's a breeze to bike to from Highlands (via Cherry Creek Trail) - lock up, do a couple laps and bike home. City Park as a huge perimeter too, and closer to RiNo, but not as many people.

I've also seen a big running group during the summers on Tuesdays or Wednesdays around Cheesman Park/Botanic Gardens area. Like 100+ people. I'm a solo workout person but I'm sure you can track it down, in addition to other meet-up type groups. Perhaps somebody know.

A few other unique challenges here, if you want to mix it up in addition to regular city running:

Workouts/climbs at Red Rocks- usually open until 2pm daily.

"Manitou Springs Incline" - It's often crowed but do at it least once. You'll meet lots of people of all levels doing the same challenge from kids to military guys sprinting up loaded down with 70lb packs (Google it for more).

Trail Running in the mountains - after you hike a few trails in the mountains (and being accustomed to altitude) try running them.

You have to drive to those three (can bike to Red Rocks), but you won't be disappointed. I can vouch for Manitou being worth its time.

Last edited by jamesdenver; 12-18-2014 at 02:06 PM..

Old 12-18-2014, 02:26 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Because Accuracy Matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
You have to be such a stickler for names? Who cares man What's in a name anyway? What's the big difference? s
1. The USGS hates apostrophes and tries to remove them from every place name. http://geonames.usgs.gov/apex/f?p=gn...:P3_FID:202849
2. Sloan's Lake is named after farmer Sloan so possessive is accurate. Sloan's Lake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
3. The neighborhood spent over a decade fighter with the Denver Parks Department to have it named: Sloan's Lake. Sloan of Contention | Westword and finally it became

Old 12-20-2014, 02:39 PM

71 posts, read 87,633 times
Sorry to jump in here but my husband, daughter and I will be relocating to Denver from NY state and I was wondering about the running situation too! Thanks everyone for the info. I have seen many running groups on meet up so I think it will be a great place for running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver