U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 12:32 PM

4 posts, read 3,883 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for advice from those who know the area best. I will soon be moving to work on my next step in my medical training. I have narrowed it down to a few cities, Denver being one of them. All the places have great training, and the decision of where to relocate may come down to which city allows me to get closest to my ideal neighborhood.

Ideal Neighborhood:
Crime: must be very safe, my wife and kids need to feel secure when I am gone to work for long shifts and some overnights.
Schools: Good public elementary and middle school. 4 kids, youngest will be an infant when we arrive, oldest will be 13 when I finish. I won't be making enough for private schools.
Size: Minimum 3 bedroom, optimal 4 bedroom, 5 would be GREAT!
Commute: the shorter the better, but maximum 45 mins to the following hospitals: University of Colorado Hospital, Denver Health Medical Center, Denver VA Medical Center, National Jewish Medical and Research Center.
Budget: Buying 200K or Renting 1200/month. (Income around 60K).
Activities: Ample outdoor spaces, also indoor activities when the weather is bad.

So, is there a neighborhood in/near Denver that offers anything near this?

For those wondering, competing cities include: Nashville, Durham, Philadelphia, Pittsburg, Cleveland, St Louis, Baltimore and Rochester MN.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 12:37 PM

6,961 posts, read 6,570,070 times
That price point makes all the other stuff you want very, very difficult. Stapleton is where you want to be, but you need to more than double the budget.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:45 PM

898 posts, read 993,150 times
SkyDog is right. Denver is an expensive city and is getting more so by the day. You will likely need to make compromises OR up your budget OR get very lucky.

Littleton comes to mind but that's an ugly commute. Stapleton of course would be ideal but expensive.

Old 12-24-2014, 01:14 PM

14,046 posts, read 20,375,828 times
No way with that low of rental budget.
Look on Padmapper.com and use the filters.
Good luck.
I think that all the other cities in your list will be cheaper.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:33 PM

370 posts, read 396,580 times
4-5 bedrooms. 200k or 1200 a month. In a super safe neighborhood. With a short commute and A list schools.

Yeah, I think you need to look at your competition. There are plenty of places that meet your criteria, but the price isn't even close.

$1200 a month is a 2 bedroom/1 bathroom in an OK neighborhood...if you're lucky. Buying...200k MIGHT get you a 3 bedroom townhome (forget about single family unless you want a major fixer upper) in a safe neighborhood in parts of Aurora that meet your 45 minute commute criteria (barely), but the schools will be mediocre at best.

Good luck on the search, and if you find something here, awesome, but I think there's more bang for your buck elsewhere.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:29 PM

695 posts, read 806,658 times
That budget and wanting a very safe neighborhood, from your list you may be limited to Durham, Pittsburgh or Rochester.

Denver is relatively safe, but for your budget and housing demands, that won't get you jack.

Cleveland, St Louis, and Baltimore . . . . you'll need a 9mm.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:35 PM

Thanks everyone for the honest assessment. I know it is asking a lot. Luckily all the training programs listed are great, so I can be picky about location and trying to get the most bang for my buck. Looks like Denver will be too much of a stretch. Thanks again everyone.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:55 PM

3,968 posts, read 3,285,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddkrutsinger View Post
I'm looking for advice from those who know the area best. I will soon be moving to work on my next step in my medical training. I have narrowed it down to a few cities, Denver being one of them. All the places have great training, and the decision of where to relocate may come down to which city allows me to get closest to my ideal neighborhood.

For those wondering, competing cities include: Nashville, Durham, Philadelphia, Pittsburg, Cleveland, St Louis, Baltimore and Rochester MN.

Thanks
Are you talking for residency training or some sort of fellowship? I ask because obviously there is a big timing difference between the two. You can make some budgetary concessions for a shorter time frame. The way you stated the question makes me think it's probably fellowship because you seem to indicate you have a great deal of discretion and latitude about where you end up, which is often not the case in residency.

I think some of those other cities you mentioned are cheaper, but some not as much as you think. Take Pittsburgh, for instance. If you are talking about training at UPMC, that is one of the most expensive and nicest areas of town. From what I know of it, I would not consider it a bargain at all. Philly, of course, is very expensive as well.

Now, Nashville if you are training at Vandy = bargain. Durham training at Duke= bargain. And, I can't imagine Rochester is expensive and you can't beat Mother Mayo for name recognition (inventory might be an issue though).

So, I think you might find a nice balance in some of those cities, but like PP's have said, your budget seems to be off for Denver relative to where in town you need to be. However, you could talk to some current residents and fellows with families to see where they live.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:25 PM

Texas AG, thanks for the reply. It is indeed for fellowship, in pulmonary and critical care medicine(3-4 years). All the programs are great! So a big part of the decision comes down to if I can afford the city. I'm not necessarily looking for the best deal, if that was the case then Nashville, Rochester, Durham would be clear winners. My goal in inquiring here is really, is a city too expensive to work for my family, if so I can save the hassle and money applying and interviewing there, even if it is a great place.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:26 PM

3,968 posts, read 3,285,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddkrutsinger View Post
Texas AG, thanks for the reply. It is indeed for fellowship, in pulmonary and critical care medicine(3-4 years). All the programs are great! So a big part of the decision comes down to if I can afford the city. I'm not necessarily looking for the best deal, if that was the case then Nashville, Rochester, Durham would be clear winners. My goal in inquiring here is really, is a city too expensive to work for my family, if so I can save the hassle and money applying and interviewing there, even if it is a great place.
When my spouse was a Resident 10 years ago, there were a few of his colleagues who had wives that didn't work and they had kids. And, everyone was a homeowner to boot. This was when salaries were in the 40-45K range. I never could figure out how they did it. I always assumed they had parents assisting financially, but who knows.

Good luck. Sounds like you have some great options in a good subspecialty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or