U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 07:46 AM

3,965 posts, read 3,279,459 times

Advertisements

As a Stapleton resident for the past 2 years (having moved here from out of state), I would agree with everything that has been said above- both pros and cons.

We ended up here after looking extensively elsewhere in older neighborhoods after my husband kept consistently seeing 700-800K homes that would needed significant remodeling. Stapleton won out over those options because of its short commute time for my husband and the wonderful schools. Now, I love it here, even though it is not what we initially had in mind when we moved to Denver. For us, the pros far outweighed the cons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 09:10 AM

21,177 posts, read 11,791,368 times
I don't feel that people without kids will feel like outsiders. I'm the single mom of a 10 year old who just moved in November into a paired home in Stapleton. The other side of my building is a young couple, no kids. I would assume they plan to have kids some day but of course not something I'd ask. The house next to mine is owned by an older, semi-retired couple who have adult kids. They actually downsized from a larger single family in Stapleton but didn't want to leave the area. Another house on the block is a pair of retired sisters, no kids (possibly one or both have adult children, I'm not sure). I realize one block does not a community make and I would assume that the paired houses are more likely to attract singles and smaller families, or couples without children because the homes are smaller. So yeah, there probably are more 2 parent families with kids in the blocks that are all larger single family houses. But one of the nice things about Stapleton is that the different types of houses are interspersed throughout, so you might have larger homes on one side of the street and paired homes on the other, and a different mix of household family types.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:17 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,560,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I don't feel that people without kids will feel like outsiders. I'm the single mom of a 10 year old who just moved in November into a paired home in Stapleton. The other side of my building is a young couple, no kids. I would assume they plan to have kids some day but of course not something I'd ask. The house next to mine is owned by an older, semi-retired couple who have adult kids. They actually downsized from a larger single family in Stapleton but didn't want to leave the area. Another house on the block is a pair of retired sisters, no kids (possibly one or both have adult children, I'm not sure). I realize one block does not a community make and I would assume that the paired houses are more likely to attract singles and smaller families, or couples without children because the homes are smaller. So yeah, there probably are more 2 parent families with kids in the blocks that are all larger single family houses. But one of the nice things about Stapleton is that the different types of houses are interspersed throughout, so you might have larger homes on one side of the street and paired homes on the other, and a different mix of household family types.
I definitely noticed a decent population of retired people with grandkids in Stapleton.

When my wife and I lived there for a few months pre-kids, we felt like we were not at the same point in life as the vast majority of our neighbors.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 01-02-2015 at 09:58 AM..

Old 01-02-2015, 09:54 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,289,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsABeach View Post
Thanks Claire, that's super helpful and interesting - I definitely like the idea of supporting local business, an it's exciting to see that the Stapleton area is interested in cultivating a local co-op!

One reason I'm particularly interested in Stapleton is because it seems like a growing community of people that are actively interested in bettering their neighborhood and making it one of the best places to live in Denver. We'll be there in a few weeks and at this point I'm pretty sure that we'll at least start in Stapleton and see what we think.
We moved to Stapleton from Orange County and love it. We had kids upon moving here, and it's great for kids because there are so many other kids their age right around us.

There are plans to open another King Soopers on the east end of Stapleton (KS is the same thing as a Ralphs) so once they have that open, regular grocery shopping shouldn't be an issue. There is a Super Target in Stapleton that has most everything you need for groceries as well. The only problem I have with the current King Soopers is that it's overcrowded. The WalMart has groceries, but I avoid it like the plague. Not a pleasant shopping experience

Other grocery stores are an Albertsons about 3 miles south of Stapleton, a Safeway (same thing as Vons) about 3 miles SE of Stapleton, and there's a Sprouts and Trader Joe's about 5 miles SE of Stapleton. If this Coop gets off the ground, I think it'll do well and offer more natural food options for Stapleton.

Are you looking to rent a house? I'm not sure if you can get a 3 bdr. house for rent in Stapleton for under $3000 per month. Maybe a condo or townhouse is possible. Our neighbors are renting out their 4 bdr. house (double garage, plus finished basement) while they're oversees for a couple years and they're getting $4200 a month in rent.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:09 AM

21,177 posts, read 11,791,368 times
In my area, brand new paired homes with a finished basement are renting for 2500

Stapleton Home for Rent

Stapleton Paired Home for Rent

Old 01-02-2015, 10:29 AM

40 posts, read 104,236 times
We don't have kids yet, but part of the reason we're interested in moving to Denver and living in Stapleton, specifically, is because we're planning on starting a family. As others have mentioned, it does seem like the ideal neighborhood for that.

Denverian, that's very helpful! 3-5 miles for additional grocery options is very doable, and currently we kind of go back and forth between Ralph's and Albertson's. Both are about 4 miles from us.

I'm seeing a good amount of homes in Stapleton for < $3000 - single family, paired, and townhomes. I actually haven't seem much above that price in the area, but maybe that's just because it's winter and it's cheaper this time of year?

emm74, those are both places we're actually considering already - we may end up being neighbors soon . Are you happy with that specific area of the neighborhood?

For what it's worth, we owned a home in a very family-centric neighborhood in the past and it never bothered us to live there without kids. Also, Denver is (geographically) pretty small and it doesn't seem like there's a lot of new 3+ bedroom stuff in Denver for comparable $$. I've looked through the Highlands, Berkeley, Wash Park, Cherry Creek, DTC, etc. but it seems that you'd get a lot more for your money (in terms of space/build quality) in Stapleton. I might be missing something though, and would welcome any suggestions if I am!

Old 01-02-2015, 11:21 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,560,554 times
Space yes, build quality I would argue. Most of the newer builds in the older neighborhoods are full custom as opposed to builder grade stuff in Stapleton.

Land values are minimal in Stapleton versus the rest of the city which is why you get more for your money. My land cost nearly what my construction did in a Wash Park.

In my opinion the things you sacrifice in Stapleton are Walkability, character, variety of shops and restaurants, and mature trees.

It's a great neighborhood and I have a lot of friends who live there.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:32 AM

[quote=I'm seeing a good amount of homes in Stapleton for < $3000 - single family, paired, and townhomes. I actually haven't seem much above that price in the area, but maybe that's just because it's winter and it's cheaper this time of year?[/QUOTE]

If I had to make a guess (and I could be totally wrong here), I would say that the rental inventory in Stapleton consists almost exclusively of town homes, paired, and smaller single family homes (3/2, 2,000-2,500 sq feet on average). The homes that fit that description tend to be the more entry priced homes in Stapleton, and thus, are probably the ones that get rented out. When we moved here, my husband arrived first and we needed a short term rental for 2 months. What we saw in the rental market was as described above.

When it comes to sales prices, I think there are 3, perhaps 4 general ranges homes fall into:

$350-$425- Entry level/smaller homes
$425-$550- The "Average" Stapleton home and bulk of inventory
$600-$800- Probably the most rare find here; there seems to be limited inventory in this range
$800-$1M- again, limited inventory, with locations on the creeks

Old 01-02-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Space yes, build quality I would argue. Most of the newer builds in the older neighborhoods are full custom as opposed to builder grade stuff in Stapleton.

Land values are minimal in Stapleton versus the rest of the city which is why you get more for your money. My land cost nearly what my construction did in a Wash Park.

In my opinion the things you sacrifice in Stapleton are Walkability, character, variety of shops and restaurants, and mature trees.

It's a great neighborhood and I have a lot of friends who live there.
Absolutely agree with these comments, particularly with respect to quality. I am in a "custom build" in Stapleton and I am stunned at some of the poor quality of things here, even in my home. Some things the builder did are very, very pricey (concrete shingle roof, all plantation shutters), but other things were just cheap (no insulation above the garage and the very large bedroom above it, no lighting in any of the bedrooms, which are all upstairs). But, I don't think this is problem unique to Stapleton; you see it is most new constructions in large, planned developments. I remember when they were building the most recent row homes on MLK near the Rec Center (some of which are selling for $500K). They had pallets and pallets of particle board (something that makes plywood seem sturdy).

Old 01-02-2015, 02:49 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,289,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsABeach View Post
We don't have kids yet, but part of the reason we're interested in moving to Denver and living in Stapleton, specifically, is because we're planning on starting a family. As others have mentioned, it does seem like the ideal neighborhood for that.

Denverian, that's very helpful! 3-5 miles for additional grocery options is very doable, and currently we kind of go back and forth between Ralph's and Albertson's. Both are about 4 miles from us.

I'm seeing a good amount of homes in Stapleton for < $3000 - single family, paired, and townhomes. I actually haven't seem much above that price in the area, but maybe that's just because it's winter and it's cheaper this time of year?

emm74, those are both places we're actually considering already - we may end up being neighbors soon . Are you happy with that specific area of the neighborhood?

For what it's worth, we owned a home in a very family-centric neighborhood in the past and it never bothered us to live there without kids. Also, Denver is (geographically) pretty small and it doesn't seem like there's a lot of new 3+ bedroom stuff in Denver for comparable $$. I've looked through the Highlands, Berkeley, Wash Park, Cherry Creek, DTC, etc. but it seems that you'd get a lot more for your money (in terms of space/build quality) in Stapleton. I might be missing something though, and would welcome any suggestions if I am!
The house I'm referring to is probably over 2500 sq. feet above ground and another 1000 finished in the basement, so pricier.

My kids are growing up like it's the 70s. Kids everywhere to play with, we have a huge block party and Easter egg hunt in Spring, pumpkin carving party in the park for Halloween, 4th of July parade, they ride bikes and skateboard all over, catching crawdads in Westerly Creek... and neighbors are like family to us. It's the best place I've ever lived.

You can find cheaper new housing far out in the metro area, but then you're not close to the amenities of downtown and all the non-chain restaurants. From Stapleton, we're within 10 - 15 minutes of so many local and ethnic restaurants. We have memberships to the zoo, Natural History museum, Elitch's (amusement/water park downtown) and go to baseball games. And all of this is about 15 min. or less from our house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver