U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 03:50 PM

40 posts, read 103,839 times

Advertisements

Hey Denverites,

My wife and I (late 20s, no kids) are making a move from San Diego to Denver in a couple weeks. We both love San Diego, but Denver is closer to family and seems like a more realistic place to start a family (which we're planning on soon) since the cost of housing is so much lower. We both like Denver a lot - the people seem friendly, the vibe reminds me of San Diego, and it seems to be a pretty progressive city.

Mainly I'm wondering if people can give us suggestions on where to live. Obviously this is a very general question, but we're looking for:
- 3-4 bedroom for $2500/mo. We're paying about this much now for a 2BR apartment in SD, so it would be great to get some extra room.
- Safe. This is a priority and we're definitely willing to trade some coolness to be in an area where we're not concerned about walking the dog at night.
- Accessible and close(r) to downtown and things going on. I'd like to be within 20 minutes of downtown, but it's certainly not a requirement to actually live there. We like to go out and explore, try new restaurants, etc. It would be nice to be close to this kind of stuff.
- Good for a family, and other young families nearby. Good schools would be nice, but less of a requirement short term since we don't have kids yet.
- Newer homes would be ideal. I've lived in old houses and new houses, and would definitely be willing to sacrifice a larger yard for a newer house.

I've been reading and researching this for a while and it seems like Stapleton fits the bill pretty well. Looks like everything is there (shopping, stuff to do, etc) and it also seems like there are lots of parks/green spaces around, which is nice. Can anyone comment on this area? I like the idea of new urbanism and potentially having some walkable stuff in a newer/nicer neighborhood. Is it really that walkable? What's the vibe there like?

Another area someone suggested to us is the DTC. Anyone live in that area and care to comment?

Finally, if anyone lives/lived in SD I'd love some comparison between Denver/SD neighborhoods if possible!

Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 04:16 PM

694 posts, read 1,789,083 times
Yep, Stapleton is a good choice.

To answer your question about its walkability: not much of Stapleton is truly walkable, especially from single family homes. This is in part due to street design decisions, but also the distance of most homes from stores. This will be helped somewhat by the development of a new little retail area called the Eastbridge Town Center.

Here's a recent article about that very issue:

Denver Stapleton study reveals problems with new urbanism development - Denver Business Journal

I'd still recommend it for you though, given your other wants.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:21 PM

4,876 posts, read 9,619,939 times
Where will your work be? There are lots of different places around the metro area that meet your criteria, and your commute would be horrible if you are working in the DTC and living in Broomfield, for example.

Many areas are safe and good for families, and with the expansion of the light rail it's really easy to get downtown for some sports and nightlife.

Your C-D name is "needs a beach". How important are water activities to you?

Old 12-31-2014, 06:32 PM

13,949 posts, read 20,201,871 times
Berkeley
Lots of new duplexes.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the info, everyone!

We both work from home, so a commute isn't an issue for us (which is awesome and obviously makes this a lot easier). Likewise, we do love the beach and think we'll miss being near the ocean a lot; we're planning to rent for part of the year in San Diego even if we purchase a home in Denver. Very fortunate to be able to work remotely!

I don't know a thing about Berkeley, but it looks like a nice area. I will definitely check that out. Also wondering about the Broomfield area... seems nice, but maybe a bit more rural? Any thoughts on Broomfield vs Stapleton vs Thornton vs Parker? These are all areas I've looked at that seem good. Parker seems pretty far out though, and I've read some mixed things on the Thornton area on here...

Again, thanks so much for the help. I've researched Denver for a long time but it's always helpful to get some info as it relates directly to us.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:53 AM

86,889 posts, read 102,301,239 times
^^Broomfield is a suburban city. There are some areas in the north and west parts of town that have a more rural feel. I think it's a nice city. My kids did gymnastics at Broomfield High for a total of seven years. I found that Broomfield has a good sense of community. I can't really make much of a comparison with the other towns.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:03 AM

236 posts, read 245,565 times
Stapleton is in a bit of a grocery desert - something typically seen with much more inner city neighborhoods.

Just use Google maps and do a "search nearby" for grocery stores.

Yes, there is 1 King Soopers and a lone Sam's club, but you will be well advised to visit first, test shop the local merchants, and get a feel for what the demographics truly are, and there is no better place to do that research than in your local grocer.

This is sound advice for anyone trying on neighborhoods for size - local merchants will offer you the best window on who your neighbors are and what they consume.

We are what we eat.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:47 PM

323 posts, read 428,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wycoyote View Post
Stapleton is in a bit of a grocery desert - something typically seen with much more inner city neighborhoods.

Just use Google maps and do a "search nearby" for grocery stores.

Yes, there is 1 King Soopers and a lone Sam's club, but you will be well advised to visit first, test shop the local merchants, and get a feel for what the demographics truly are, and there is no better place to do that research than in your local grocer.

This is sound advice for anyone trying on neighborhoods for size - local merchants will offer you the best window on who your neighbors are and what they consume.

We are what we eat.
Saw this on another thread, but thought I would reply again. A group of residents are working to open a community-owned grocery store (see - Northeast Community Co-op Market - Home) similar to the Ocean Beach People's Organic Co-op in San Diego (if you are familiar).

There is also a group of residents working to convert an old airplane parts factory into a community-oriented marketplace (see - $20 million Stanley Marketplace to open in Aurora next year - Denver Business Journal). So far they have commitments for a beer garden concept by Kevin Taylor, a yoga studio, and a fitness studio. They are planning to have three more restaurants, a coffee shop, an ice cream parlor, a beer/wine shop and more.

Forest City has been pretty conservative with the types of businesses they'll lease to - so you don't see a ton of independent retail businesses in Stapleton.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:16 PM

Thanks Claire, that's super helpful and interesting - I definitely like the idea of supporting local business, an it's exciting to see that the Stapleton area is interested in cultivating a local co-op!

One reason I'm particularly interested in Stapleton is because it seems like a growing community of people that are actively interested in bettering their neighborhood and making it one of the best places to live in Denver. We'll be there in a few weeks and at this point I'm pretty sure that we'll at least start in Stapleton and see what we think.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:43 AM

6,905 posts, read 6,499,225 times
The one thing I would say about Stapleton is that it is very family centric, to the point that without kids right now, you may feel like you are an outsider. It feels a bit suburban in that respect.

I would highly advice looking at some of the older city neighborhoods. They have a lot more to offer in many respects and there are plenty of newer homes in the old neighborhoods. Berkeley as db suggested is worth looking at.

Also, do you really "need a beach"? Lack of any large water recreation is something some people have a hard time with here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver