U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2008, 02:01 AM

163 posts, read 712,190 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. So I read as much as I could about the different areas and everything before moving out (2 days ago) and had pretty much assumed Lodo was the only place to be. See, I am looking for a cool urban area to live, the whole historic loft idea sounded real cool to me, as I've only ever lived in the burbs or small towns and I'm bored to death of that. I just moved out from Sacramento and lived in one of the cooler old neighborhoods that is close to the downtown. But Sac doesn't really have any kind of urban living to offer, if I stayed there Midtown was my best bet.

Anyhow, now that I'm here and driving around, I see there is just soooo much out there. I mean there is downtown, and then little neighborhoods on every different side of "downtown". How do I pick? I never had this kind of problem in Sacramento, it was the opposite! So now that I'm here, I could use a little help from some locals.

So obviously Lodo is cool and happening and the place if you want a loft. What about Capitol Hill? I've been down Colfax a few times now and think it's pretty great, tons of hole in the wall (the best kind ) places to eat and drink! I don't know why some people are scared of it....give me a break. That street is not ghetto, it's urban cool. Anyway, then there is, I think, Uptown. I stumbled across that today, between Park and Broadway right? I came across "Uptown Square" that seemed like it might be cool with a little Safeway near by.

Anyhow, rambling now. Point is, can some one go through and list these neighborhoods and roughly they're outline and tell me how you feel about them; uppity, college party scene, weird artsty, more residential, quiet and boring, etc. etc. ????

I know it's a little work and I appreciate it a ton if anyone can help me out.

p.s. I should have mentioned what I am looking for...

- I'd like a place where I can walk easily to bars, restaurants, places to hang out, etc. not somewhere like the Highland Park area.
- I'd like there to be people my age range to hang out with or a good mix of ages and not someplace where it's all young or all older. I am 27.
- I prefer hole in the wall or dive food to fancy expensive stuff (it's nice once in a while, but the other stuff is usually better!)
- Same as above for drinks. fancy clubs are fun now and then, local hangouts are better
- houses and victorians are out, high/mid-rises and lofts are in!

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 02:09 AM

249 posts, read 937,376 times
Google "Denver Uncommon" and you will find a great website that has a photo gallery of all of Denver's neighborhoods. That will offer a great visual tour for you. If I were you I would checkout Ballpark, Capitol Hill, Congress Park, Cheesman Park, Curtis Park, and Uptown.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:13 AM

163 posts, read 712,190 times
Thanks. I have been to that website. I think I found all the websites before I moved out And seen all the pictures as well...

Now that I'm here I can go right out and see the neighborhoods in person. Just looking for a little direction and opinion from the locals.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:17 AM

1,048 posts, read 3,982,154 times
Tim,

LoDo (Lower Downtown) and Capitol Hill sound like the better suggestions to what you are looking for. I do not live there but as a 23 year old I know that many choose to live there.

LoDo is not cheap Capitol Hill is cheaper (all relative and can differ). Because of this, there is not a flood of college students there from what I see/know. Until recently, the campus did not have any dorms so downtown still had a fair share of college students. Recently they build several dorms like facilities so this reduces a little bit of the “load.”Aurania Campus is close (right by) downtown, so you will still have some college crowds. Aurania Campus is made of Metro State College, University of Colorado at Denver, and Community College of Denver.

While I was getting my B.S. Degree from UCD (University of Colorado at Denver) I was working in Downtown. I met many people who live downtown and the downtown area. I would say it is a good mix with young and young professionals and those who work in/near Denver. Most families with kids opt for the houses/”burbs” or the new Stapleton development areas.

That’s all what I can think of at the moment. If you have any other questions please ask and I will try and help.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:15 AM

86,904 posts, read 102,377,003 times
I would also recommend the area around DU (University of Denver). Nice apts, many geared towards grad students and others of that age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or