U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 09:59 AM

6 posts, read 7,230 times

Advertisements

After much thought, we have decided to relocate our family of 6 to Denver from Atlanta. We are planning yet another visit to explore where we would like to live. If you can bear with me, I'll give you a rundown of our family for background info to assist in your suggestions for us.

We currently live in a laid-back, nice, fairly expensive, urban part of intown Atlanta. 4 children ages 9, 10, 11, 12. All are excellent students and education is extremely important to us. Private education is probably not a financial option for us. Two of the kids lean toward science & technology, one is a great creative writer, and one loves the dramatic arts. We all love the outdoors and spend much time exploring, camping, biking, and anything that the weather and amenities allow in Atlanta (very limited in Winter). Kids are involved in cross-country, swimming, basketball, biking mostly. We are pretty actively involved in the youth programs at our church (Methodist), and the boys are all involved in Boy Scouts. We love the urban setting, but head out to the nearest mountains on the weekends, or to the beach. Kids have absolutely loved our visits to Denver and to the mountain resorts. Although they have not gotten to ski too much, they all love snowboarding, sledding, ice skating, riding snowmobiles, etc. We also have 2 dogs.

Our reasons for wanting to relocate are basically for an improvement to our quality of life. Cleaner air, healthier lifestyle, better school opportunities, winter outdoor activities, better weather (rainy, humid, cold, dreary winters here). We love living in the city, but the public schools have our kids in a very minority situation from a race perspective. Although we embrace the diversity, we would like to avoid them being in a minority environment. (I hope that doesn't sound bad, as we truly do embrace diversity). We would also like to experience life outside of the southern mindset.

Any suggestions on places to live in Denver? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 10:15 AM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 26 days ago)

10,891 posts, read 29,338,995 times
Where is work? What's the housing budget? Do you want an urban, rural, suburban experience?

Old 01-02-2015, 10:25 AM

Definitely want an urban environment. Neither of us have jobs yet, as our first opportunity to move will be at the end of the current school year around June 1. One of us has a career in telecom, and the other a career in the mortgage industry. We haven't tackled how we are going to go about finding jobs yet, but one of us most likely will have the option to relocate within current company. We are thinking we will lease a home initially to make sure the decision we make is the right one before we purchase. Our rental budget would most likely be around $4000-$5000/month.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:30 AM

6,533 posts, read 10,216,114 times
The big telecom players in town are Level 3 (terrible employer reputation), Comcast, and CenturyLink. Charter even has a small presence here even though they have precisely 0 penetration in the market.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:30 AM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 26 days ago)

10,891 posts, read 29,338,995 times
Start with the job then find something within a 20 minute commute - then use padmapper.com to find a rental, use the filter with the dogs.

It's harder to find a rental nowadays. Most houses in the $4000+ payment range are very nice indeed.

Do you want a newer or older home? 4+ bedrooms in older established neighborhoods may mean some of the bedrooms are in the basement.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:24 PM

236 posts, read 246,194 times
It sounds very much like you'd be a good fit in the DU Observatory Park area.

I think rents there might work for you if you can find a good fit.

Inventory will be very tight however.

University Park Real Estate & University Park Denver Homes For Sale - Zillow

Custom Built Home with a Contemporary Style! in Denver, CO. 5- bedrooms available.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:40 PM

238 posts, read 615,792 times
Agree with previous posters - the jobs will determine your home base. Examples:

CenturyLink has a large office in Littleton.
DirecTV has offices in Englewood and Denver.
Comcast has offices in Englewood, Greenwood Village, Denver.

If you're being employed in Greenwood Village that's likely a much different residential area compared to downtown Denver. It is true that people do commute from all across the metro area to work; however, from your rental budget you likely will not require a long commute in order to find housing in your budget.

I originally hail from the DMV (DC, MD, VA) area and while the Colorado traffic doesn't compare there absolutely still is congestion and rush hours - especially during those days with icy winter conditions.

I suggest you wait on coming out to visit until you can secure interviews - kill 2 birds with one stone. Then, once you have an idea on where you will both be working you can take the time to research potential communities.

As you mentioned you'll likely be looking into public schools do some research into the various school districts. (There are plenty of articles out there, published rankings, and if you search these boards you'll see many opinions from those of us that live in those districts.)

One aspect of life that many of us learned after moving here is the mountains are not a hop-and-a-skip to get to anymore - even during weekends in the summertime. Traffic can be extreme (I don't use the word lightly) and it will take you hours to get up and hours to get back unless you're leaving/returning mid-week. Pull up Google Maps on a Friday night or Saturday morning and turn on traffic to see for yourself. Possible? Yes! Annoying/time-consuming? Yes!

Best of luck on your move! Write us back when you have those jobs lined up and we'll help suggest some towns/communities.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:08 PM

695 posts, read 803,004 times
Level 3 just bought out TW Telecom. I've done internal and regulatory investigations for TW. For several reasons I cannot disclose, I would not recommend employment at TW.

Comcast and Century Link hire on a regular basis, but unless you're going into a highly technical position, you'll be stuck with an entry level sales/tech position at low pay and highly competitive for a position with all the other John Denver rocky mountain snowboarders who want to move here.

As to your comment "Although we embrace the diversity, we would like to avoid them being in a minority environment. (I hope that doesn't sound bad, as we truly do embrace diversity)," you may want to consider a private school in Denver or the Jeffco School System in Arvada or somewhere in Douglas County. However, living in Aravda or Douglas County will take you out of your "city slicker" environment.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:55 PM

The feedback is great and much appreciated. I was reading about a New Urbanism development called Stapleton. Does anyone have any feedback on that area of Denver? I came across it while reading about a new high school opening next school year (I think it is named Northfield). Thanks

Old 01-02-2015, 04:14 PM

6,912 posts, read 6,513,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaFam View Post
The feedback is great and much appreciated. I was reading about a New Urbanism development called Stapleton. Does anyone have any feedback on that area of Denver? I came across it while reading about a new high school opening next school year (I think it is named Northfield). Thanks
There are hours of reading on that topic here. Just use the search and type in "Stapleton".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or