U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,763 times

Advertisements

The last post really picks the best feature ,the weather, it is fantastic. It is a lot dryer than the East Coast. The sun giving an average of 300 days of sun a year evolves a different mindset of happiness. Doesn't sound like a bad thing and overall it's not really but when you're used to NYC it is a huge difference. The downtown is evolving into an actually live work area as it should be, real estate is decent, available and reasonably priced. You can play life anyway you want to. You want to live in a brownstone near downtown or in a walk-up or a unit with a front doorman they are all available. Or you can commute from your mountain house in the foothills and if you have enough money you can commute in your heli from Vail everyday. Now back to the happiness/weather thing... boundaries.. personal boundaries. As congested as NYC is people are very aware of each other and the expected code of interactions. I know this sounds weird. I'm not sure if it has to do with the sun/happiness thing or what but it is real. In Denver there seems to be a lack of the boundary issue.. oddly as sparse and wide open as the city is...odd. This isn't just in a club or bar... it's walking down the street or sitting in a close knit restaurant. There is a sense that people lack a sense of themselves and therefore reach, listen, over extend their psuedo happy selves into other's lives who have a sense of self no matter how miserable, depressed or ecstatic they are. I have met numerous people here and many seem lost, these lost people come in all exteriors. If your looking for guidance go to a therapist, your family, etc. It is in odd place but if you can maintain your barrier and cherry pick what this town has to offer, and there is a lot, do it. If you have no barrier you will be cherry picked. I encourage you to give back in some way. There is no tall steel buildings to hide in the shadows. The urine smell is periodic but again so much more open than NYC it tends to be wafted away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 04:40 PM

70 posts, read 218,608 times
How can you compare the New York subway system to the lightrail?

Old 12-28-2010, 07:31 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,712,846 times
Light Rail is young, and Denver isn't nearly so dense.

Everyone talks about how great New York is, but they rarely mention the cons...maybe because they just really like the city...but rent is sky high, housing is expensive, there is very little room to breathe, it is noisy, busy and fast paced...and I'll be the son of monkey if I can find BeauJo's Colorado Style Mountain Pies (Pizza) in New York City!

Countdown to someone declaring the superiority of New York pie without ever having had BeauJo's in 3...2...1...

Old 01-05-2011, 02:29 PM

12,268 posts, read 8,055,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
This is an easy decision for me. New York City will never be more than a long weekend destination for me. I would not want to live there. I realize that it is the premier city in our great nation (arguably the entire world) but I've never been the kind of person that has to be "in the center of it all".

Now I don't mind big cities, but I like them in the 2-4 million range. I currently live in San Diego, which is a metro roughly the same size as Denver at about 3 million. A place like San Diego or Denver is perfect. It's got all the big city amenities that I like, plus it's an easy escape to the suburbs or better yet, natural recreation.

I don't need shopping that gets any nicer (or more expensive ) than Nordstrom. I don't need restaurants that have $65 menu items. Places like Denver and San Diego have a lot to offer, and that's fine with me. For those who just like places like New York, happy hunting! I'd never fault anyone for having his or her opinion.
I grew up in San Diego. At this point in my life there are only three places I would live: Denver, San Diego or Vancouver, Canada.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzieba View Post
I am a New Yorker, born and raised. Yes, NY has the beautiful tall buildings. If you've never been here and you go into Manhattan and you look up...it really is amazing. Personally, I hate Manhattan. I almost never go there. The couple of times a year I do though, I always look up when I'm near a lot of the tall buildings and yeah, I have to admit...wow. It is cool. Fifth Avenue during Christmas...LOVELY! NY has museums, art, plays. If you're into that sort of stuff...GREAT!

My husband, son and I visited Colorado 2 years ago and we LOVED it! ABSOLUTELY loved it! When we got on the plane to come back to NY, I actually cried. Oh, those beautiful mountains. We walked on as many trails as we could find. We visited the city of Denver. Yes, it's a city. Busy, some hustle and bustle. But not like NY. We purposely drove in what we thought would be "rush hour". My husband was thrilled! In NY, you could be stuck in your car for 2 hours to get home. It didn't seem that way in Denver.

I don't know, maybe it's because it was a new experience for us. I don't deny that I care for my birthplace NY but I also know I am not a city girl. Not a city like NY which is why we've been planning a move to Colorado. That's why we visited. Yes, we know the honeymoon will be over but I can't imagine it would be like NY in the sense of traffic and overpopulation. I couldn't care less that they don't have an IKEA. I don't like them anyway.

And we want a better life for our 10 year old. EXERCISE!! He needs it..ok, we all need it.

Bottom line: They both have their pro's and con's depending on YOUR personality and preferences.
Oh yes, there will be an IKEA opening this year. Enjoy!

Old 01-05-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAPA View Post
So when I move there and make it one more ex-New Yorker it's probably going to **** you off.

Funny enough, I tried LA first as a pit stop and I can't believe how incredibly stupid people are out here so I'll be in Denver by next Christmas.

As for the main question at hand.. I am IN LOVE WITH NEW YORK CITY. Literally in love with the place, but I also spent 40 years of my life there and I've always wanted to give Colorado a try. When I visited a little over a year ago Denver felt like home. Hard to explain, but there's nothing wrong with not dying where you were born and I'm ready for Denver.

New York City is my first love. The one you never forget. Denver is my new love. The one I want to make new memories with.
Being from San Diego I know how much of a pit Los Angeles is. I am assuming you are speaking of Los Angeles not Louisiana?

Old 04-28-2011, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,377 times
I live in Denver and i visited NYC many time and i would say NYC has the upper hand. Its much funner and a faster paist.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:26 PM

20,855 posts, read 39,095,620 times
If I could afford it, I'd live in Manhattan, with a deli on every corner, subways, Amtrak, theaters galore, great food, incredible library, central park, carnegie hall, and so much more. One of the best examples of civilization at its peak.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC The best View Post
I live in Denver and i visited NYC many time and i would say NYC has the upper hand. Its much more fun and at a faster pace.
Fixed.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
If I could afford it, I'd live in Manhattan, with a deli on every corner, subways, Amtrak, theaters galore, great food, incredible library, central park, carnegie hall, and so much more. One of the best examples of civilization at its peak.
Subway isn't a deli.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or