U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 11:10 AM
'M'

1,818 posts, read 2,605,960 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used a good service that will help with de-cluttering plus cleaning? I need help deciding what to keep and what to donate. Someone who is a professional and good at organizing. An Idea Person....not just another cleaning person. I downsized and moved into a very small, very nice apartment, which I love. But just can't let go of this stuff!

Has anyone found a service or person who does this and does it well? I live in the city of Denver. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 12:20 PM

13,950 posts, read 20,207,715 times
Call Kate, LLC - Southwest - Denver, CO | Yelp

I just searched on Yelp for "decluttering services" and this one popped up.

There is also the DIY approach:

Last edited by davebarnes; 01-06-2015 at 01:02 PM..

Old 01-06-2015, 12:58 PM
'M'

1,818 posts, read 2,605,960 times
Thanks, Dave!

Old 01-06-2015, 02:10 PM

451 posts, read 381,594 times
You might want to contact an interior design consultant. They might be able to advise you on how to "un-clutter and let go of some things". You are ultimately the one who has to decide on what you absolutely HAVE to keep for sentimental reasons or whatever. But here are some simple rules I usually like to follow:

Clean out the closet:
Does it still fit? (If no - it's out)
Do you still like it? (If no - it's out)
Are you waiting for it to come back into fashion? (If yes, or no - it's out)
Have you worn it in the past two years? (If no - it's out)
What about those shoes? ............ (Time to go)

Clean out the junk drawer:
Spend 5 minutes and no more going through it looking for stuff that you actually use. Put it all in a box and set aside. Then pull the garbage can over and make sure it has a fresh bag in the can. Put on a blindfold, pull out the drawer completely, hold it over the garbage can and dump it. Tie up the bag and dispose of immediately!

The dreaded linen closet:
If you asked yourself "what the heck was that doing in there?" - (It's out)
How many holes are in that towel? If more than one, it either graduates to the cleaning-rag-bag or it's out.
How about that set of sheets? (See above but they also make great paint drop cloths)

Oh, then there's the kitchen
How nasty is your stock-pile of Tupperware-like storage containers? Throw it out. The new ones are cheap and are already boxed for your move.
Ask yourself how many sets of dishes you really need. If you have too many, pick at least one set that has to go. Same thing goes for pots/pans/waffle irons etc.

Trinkets and books:
Only you can decide on that one, but I think less is more.

But keep in mind that all these things I suggest have to go, should be donated as they may still be usable by someone less fortunate. (The exception to this, of course, is the crap from the junk drawer)!

Hope this helps!

Old 01-06-2015, 02:41 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,520,259 times
I think a trusted friend can help you with that better than anyone else. Or you can do it yourself.

You need to make 3 piles: throw away, give away, or keep (you could make a 4th pile for "sell" if you want to spend time doing that, but it's usually not worth the hassle for most people). Then just put each thing in its respective pile. As a rule of thumb, I ask myself, 'have I used this or thought about it in the past year?' If it's still a maybe, then I ask, 'ok how about in the past 3 years?'. If the answer is no but it still seems valuable, I give it away (or occasionally sell it). otherwise... trash, which usually ends up being the biggest pile.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:56 PM

3,942 posts, read 3,241,693 times
I just started on a purging project today. My goal is to get rid of tons and tons of stuff. This should not be a problem for me, as I have a long and rather dubious track record of inadvertently getting rid of rather important things. I am the opposite of a hoarder, nonetheless, there are tons of things we have that we don't need.

I hauled a bag of stuff to the garbage today that was just things I got from our bedroom end tables and under the bathroom cabinets (I had like 3 old Sonicare toothbrushes).

I am such a weirdo that I am really looking forward to this. It's gonna be fun......

Old 01-06-2015, 03:05 PM

20,842 posts, read 39,064,756 times
Here's an old thread on cleaning out the house.....many of the suggestions apply even if one is not moving.

I've become so frustrated with giving things away on craigslist or freecycle (people don't show up) that now I just load the loot into the car and head to the nearest Goodwill, Salvation Army or ARC thrift store drop off site. Tip: Make this trip on a weekday when there is little or no line, unlike Saturdays when the line can get rather long to drop off items.

I guess I'm a grumpy old man, but yard sales irritate me, you put a $5 price on a hundred dollar item and they still wanna gip you down to a buck. I won't bother anymore, either I donate stuff as described above, or try ebay for some things.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:24 PM

3,942 posts, read 3,241,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

I've become so frustrated with giving things away on craigslist or freecycle (people don't show up) that now I just load the loot into the car and head to the nearest Goodwill, Salvation Army or ARC thrift store drop off site. Tip: Make this trip on a weekday when there is little or no line, unlike Saturdays when the line can get rather long to drop off items.
No, you're not grumpy. I am the same way. The opportunity cost of my time is very valuable to me. I am not going to try and figure out in excruciating detail what gets trashed, what gets donated, and what gets sold and then have work on top of my purging activities to take care of those last 2 things.

Most everything I have will be tossed, probably about 70% of the total. Things in very good condition will be donated in one trip to Goodwill. Nothing will be sold.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:27 PM

21,016 posts, read 11,641,475 times
My best tip is to get a Bagster. Bagster® When you just need to toss stuff in there, it's amazing how easy it becomes to do it. When I cleaned out my old place, I also donated boxes and boxes and bags and bags of things, but there is still always a lot that isn't worth donating. Plus my goal was to purge and that was the priority.

I hired a teenage relative to be the muscle power and also gave her free reign to clear out some areas when I wasn't around, knowing that if there were boxes I hadn't touched in years, it made no real difference if she got rid of things I might not have. But even when we were working together, I think there is psychological value in having another person there saying "yes, it's fine to toss that" plus also knowing you are paying someone for their efforts to declutter makes it easier to let go too.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:34 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,221,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I just started on a purging project today. My goal is to get rid of tons and tons of stuff. This should not be a problem for me, as I have a long and rather dubious track record of inadvertently getting rid of rather important things. I am the opposite of a hoarder, nonetheless, there are tons of things we have that we don't need.

I hauled a bag of stuff to the garbage today that was just things I got from our bedroom end tables and under the bathroom cabinets (I had like 3 old Sonicare toothbrushes).

I am such a weirdo that I am really looking forward to this. It's gonna be fun......
I love to get rid of crap! There is very little in my house that I have any attachment to. I'm a minimalist, but with two kids, welll, you know. We set things aside in our storage room throughout the year for the annual Stapleton garage sale. We get rid of it all, every time. If anything isn't sold, then we just leave it out with a "free" sign, and somebody takes it.

Mom mother is a hoarder and it just infuriates me to be in her house Her parents were very neat and organized, like me, so I don't know what happened with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver