U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 08:50 AM

50 posts, read 73,125 times

Advertisements

I live in Westminster (up around the Federal/120th area) and I work downtown (around the Lincoln/18th area). I've lived all over Denver in the past 3 years (Centennial, Lakewood, Park Hill, Federal Heights, Denver and two different areas of Westminster) so I've gotten a sense of different commute times. I swear, I might be insane but it seems like, just in the 3 years I've been here, traffic has become more and more hellish as time goes on.

Is that just me? I saw one poster mention that coming down from Westminster is a horrible area because of the bottleneck there with 36. I thought I might be imagining it and everyone drives 45-60 minutes.

Do you think traffic has gotten worse over the past few years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 09:01 AM

695 posts, read 802,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzgirl View Post
Do you think traffic has gotten worse over the past few years?
Do the Rockies suck?

Did Ol' Uncle Bill lose the 84 election for his failure to handle the 82 xmas eve snow storm?

Do the Nuggets suck?

Was Brian Griese a moron at QB for the Broncos?

Do Ladies of the Evening flock to Denver in January for the Stock Show?

Is the only place that you see more California license plates than California is in Colorado?

Old 01-08-2015, 09:32 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,218,153 times
I'm sure it slowly gets worse every year since the population of the metro area goes up by thousands every year. I hear Cheyenne doesn't have much of a traffic problem, but then there are more people in just the city of Denver than the entire state of Wyoming.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:03 AM

330 posts, read 346,615 times
I think traffic keeps getting worse, all over town. Details of course will depend on the exact commute involved.

I've lived here a long time, and have a friend who's been here even longer - grew up here. And we're both officially old.

I used to get irritated with that friend, when she would dawdle over a pre-event dinner - ordering coffee after, etc. - and act like everyone else was being silly when we said it was time to get going because we still had to drive to the venue, park, etc. Even when it turned out we barely got there in time!

Finally I realized that she was still operating on obsolete concepts of how long it now takes to drive anywhere in Denver. She's not stupid, but has always had her home/work life set up so as to not have any long commutes. So I started pointing out to her when we planned to do anything, that "we" old timers now need to double the time it takes to drive anywhere around Denver. Even fairly short trips when it's a matter of getting into a downtown theatre for an evening performance, especially on weekends. It didn't take too many conversations along those lines for her to get it.

I talked about "doubling" travel time thinking it was somewhat exaggerated but I was trying to make a point with my friend. But I don't think it really *is* an exaggeration after all. Even keeping in mind that I need to allow more drive time especially when going more than a few miles around town, I sometimes shave things too close because I shoulda started earlier.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:21 AM

It is unfortunate, but over the past several years, I've been scheduling my appointments and commuting routes around known traffic conditions and what they could be. Never like that when I arrived here in 1981 to Lowry and pretty much stayed that way until about 1998 when the congestion became much more definite. I remember when it was absolutely barren between the DTC and the Springs on I-25. There were no houses anywhere around Red Rocks off 285.

"They come by the millions, the Hipsters, the Prince, and the Clowns." (W. Nile)

"They try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more, more people, more scars upon the land." (J. Denver)

Old 01-08-2015, 11:51 AM

384 posts, read 407,198 times
Denver is a growing metro area in terms of population and to me, there are some shifts in where that population is living. On the west, I'm seeing quite a bit of "infill" building going on, but no real road improvements to support those people.

You'll see a lot of people on this forum advocate living close to your work. I get that idea completely as a way to reduce the need for roads, allowing mass transit options to better serve the need of "people movement."

BUT, I just can't fully back that idea, because I believe in a "life" focus over a job focus. And my job may not always be located where I want to live my life!

Hey, maybe people like me are part of the problem, but I moved to Colorado to be near the mountains, to have the views, recreation opportunities, etc. I'm completely willing to trade off a longer commute for living where I want.

In fact, it's more important to me that I can get to Summit County in 60-90 minutes a couple times a month versus having a 15 minute longer commute to work every day. I prefer that over the 2 hour drive to the mountains my friends from the south suburbs are guaranteed. Heck, I don't have to get up as early as they do

Back to the real issue though, and that is a lack of infrastructure. I've been here for going on 2 decades and Colorado has always seemed to have a big tug of war going on with growth and how to accommodate it - and it seems that just ignoring it's happening has been one tactic used too often.

That said, they are working on some project to make things better, they are just doing them out of forced need instead of properly forecast planning.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:10 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,487,858 times
Quote:
...I might be insane but it seems like, just in the 3 years I've been here, traffic has become more and more hellish as time goes on...
You are not insane. Probably 3 or 4 years ago I could go anywhere at off commute times and count on light traffic. About 2 yrs ago I stopped saying that as the traffic was pretty dense but still moving at off hours. Now, maybe not moving quite so much.

But with all these people and traffic we get tons of jobs. Lots of new restaurants. More spending on our entertainment infrastructure. Gentrifying old areas that were in decay or decline are becoming trendy and sought after. We get new buildings, shopping, restaurants, infrastructure improvements (hospitals, public transit like light and heavy rail, Union Station). New trails are being built. Public parks and open spaces are kept up and being added to etc.

If we were in decline and the traffic was getting better the construction people would all be out of work. The restaurants would be closing. The house values would be going down. People would be defaulting on their loans. We would have neighborhoods in decay with empty homes. All those old malls that have been or are being torn down and turned into walkable malls would be sitting there empty. The officials would be trying to tax us more to pay for the upkeep of the existing infrastructure. They wouldn't be building more rail etc.

Right now the traffic is not great but still not bad enough to drive people to public transit in many cases. Eventually it will be.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:19 PM

650 posts, read 564,459 times
Quote:
I swear, I might be insane but it seems like, just in the 3 years I've been here, traffic has become more and more hellish as time goes on.
It's not just you. I've driven from Westminster to Denver for the past 12 years and agree, the last three years have been .... special.

I now live in Evergreen and can get downtown in the same 45 minutes it took me from Westminster, and I'm 10 miles further away. Go figure. I guess the north-side is just exploding.

I suspect another good increase in congestion after the Candelas development has sold out.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:22 PM

13,949 posts, read 20,201,871 times
Default It could be because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
Never like that when I arrived here in 1981
Denver's Population
1980 - 492K
1990 - 467K (yes, down)
2000 - 554K
2010 - 600K
today - 620K

Denver's increase in square miles since 1980 (not counting the airport)
zero

Do the math.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Denver's Population
1980 - 492K
1990 - 467K (yes, down)
2000 - 554K
2010 - 600K
today - 620K

Denver's increase in square miles since 1980 (not counting the airport)
zero

Do the math.
1985 was the oil bust, real estate values dropped, crime was up dramatically in Denver 1987 (ice started showing up on the street, Crips and Bloods starting sets in Denver), people bailed.

1992 was a jerk who led the cops on a high speed chase across the foothills of Los Angeles. It seems that all of Southern California heard about Colorado after they tired of Seattle. Guess what happened?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or