U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 03:07 PM

4 posts, read 8,279 times

Advertisements

Parking etiquette in Douglas County suburbs

I live on a corner lot in a fairly nice neighborhood in the Douglas County suburbs. My neighborhood consists solely of single family homes. As long as Iíve lived here since the late nineties, the unspoken parking practice has been to park oneís cars in their own garage, driveway, or curb space. Generally, people try to keep their vehicles off the street. Occasionally, residents have large get-togethers where they need to park by other peopleís houses, and nobody ever has a problem with that.

Recently, a young man has taken up residence across the street from the side of my house with a few (3 or 4) renters. Each of the renters appears to have their own vehicle and consistently park over by my house before using their available spaces. Occasionally, they will leave their vehicles in the same spot for several days without moving.

I completely understand they are well within the law to do so and are not violating any covenants. However, we work hard at maintaining our landscape and the parking situation has really detracted from our homeís appearance. If we were to try to sell our house, I have very little doubt the number of cars (a couple of run-down looking ones, at that) would scare off prospective buyers. When very few homes in oneís neighborhood have cars parked by them, and yours has multiple vehicles, your home really sticks out like a sore thumb. Iím at the point where I wonder why bother with my landscaping and lawn maintenance, since they only thing people will notice is all of the parked cars.

Is this a situation that should be left alone, or is their a way to gracefully address it with our new neighbor? Keep in mind, he and his renters are pretty young (probably early 20ís) and may not yet appreciate neighborhood aesthetics (and may not appreciate our asking him to move the cars, either).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 03:35 PM

415 posts, read 436,284 times
I had this problem in my old city of residence outside of CO. Anyway, you should check the law, because I believe the car has to be moved every 24 hours by law. Could be mistaken though. Anyway, I left a note on the windshield saying that I didn't know who's car it was, but that it needed to be moved every 24 hours. If not, the police would be called since it could mean someone had came to fowl play or someone was casing my home (Since I did not know or give permission to the owner.)
Anyway it sort of worked and the person parked there maybe 25% of the time after that instead of daily. Good luck, I understand your grief.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:48 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,487,165 times
I think you need to meet the people first. Take a pie or a plate of cookies over and introduce yourselves. Don't bring up the parking issue. Get a sense of how many people there are with the number of cars. Also what sort of people they are and whether saying something is likely to result in a solution. Then see if there is a resolution that would make you happy. It may be that there is not enough parking that would not impinge upon other people's houses. If not then you may want to ask that the street parkers rotate their location. But do that at some other time. Not the initial meeting. It may be that the driveway spaces are assigned to certain renters which is why you see the street being used before the driveway. If there is no solution you may have to just live with it. At least they aren't having loud parties and leaving trash all over your lawn. Things could be much worse.

You do have my sympathy. I also notice whenever someone is parked outside the house because it is so unusual. Our across the street neighbor has a younger relative who stays with them sometimes. Before I knew that there was an older Ford Explorer always parked outside our house and I never knew why or who owned it. The neighbor has a 5 car garage and room in the driveway for at least 5 more. Only 2 people live there so only 2 cars live there. I think the Ford was just parking in the shade of our trees. We also live on a corner and another neighbor has sort of not nice cars visiting occasionally and they always park on our side of the street, across the street from the people they are visiting. This home has a 3 car garage, long driveway plus a big circle driveway in front of the house. Whenever I see a not very nice car parked on the side of our house I used to wonder who it was and now I just assume it is that neighbor's visitor. But who really knows since they aren't parked by anyone's house but ours.

Last edited by mic111; 01-11-2015 at 04:04 PM..

Old 01-11-2015, 03:52 PM

21,843 posts, read 23,069,424 times
I'm surprised it's allowed in your covenants. It's not in ours. Heck we get a letter for parking on the street in front of our own home unless all of our driveway spots are also being used. Even for a few hours. Got a letter once because we were hosting a party and the guests who parked in the driveway left before the guests parked on the street. Apparently we should have gone out and rearranged the cars.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:06 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,191,290 times
The fundamental difference here is that you are a homeowner and the youngsters across the street are "renters".

Their concerns about neighborhood esthetics aren't the same as your concerns. My bet is that from their perspective, it's a public street and the parking spaces are available. For whatever their reasons, they apparently want to keep the street parking open in front of their residence; perhaps that's a courtesy that they extend to their guests.

If your subdivision has a HOA with CC&R's, you may want to check them for on-street parking restrictions. While the county authorities cannot enforce these, an active HOA can notify the property owner that the house is not in compliance and take steps to protect the neighborhood. IIRC, Douglas County has some fairly stringent on-property off street parking requirements to protect the "residential character" of the neighborhoods which may apply ... and code enforcement may be able to ticket vehicles on the street.

As well, while SFH's in Douglas County are limited to a maximum of 5 non-related occupants sharing a house, the CC&R's of your subdivision may have a different standard. Might be worth checking this out; perhaps the house is being rented not in conformity with the CC&R's.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:53 PM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 19 days ago)

10,882 posts, read 29,310,762 times
Since you are selling your home - don't spend a second thinking about this. Record low inventory, plus low interest rates coupled with you making your property sparkling clean will make you house sell.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:54 PM

4 posts, read 8,279 times
Thanks for tips! I remember when I was in my late teens/early 20ís and would regularly park in front of my friendís neighborís house when visiting for an hour or two. I thought nothing of it until my friend asked me not to park there because her neighbors didnít like it. After she brought it up, the lightbulb went on, embarrassment kicked in, and Iíve since been very conscientious about my parking habits. Sometimes young people donít realize theyíre being annoying, and I have to wonder if this is the case with my new neighbors. If so, getting better acquainted with them might be a good first approach. I will have to take a harder look at on-street parking laws, occupancy laws, etc., if all else fails.

Frankly, my neighborhood strikes me as extremely boring for single 20-somethings, and I have to wonder how long the rental situation will last. Right now the Denver metro area has a red-hot rental market, but once it cools down, will the renters be eager to stay in a home in a quiet, family-oriented suburb far from all of the action? Young 20 year-olds grow older, meet significant others, want to start families, etc., and sharing a home with several others might not be appealing. If nothing else works, the problem might resolve itself in a couple of years.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:05 PM

650 posts, read 564,243 times
I agree with MIC111, the food offering was also the first thing that came to my mind.

Remember you can always throw down the gauntlet, but once you do your other options are gone, so exhaust everything else first.

If you've been there a long time perhaps you know the owner/landlord, and a conversation with them could be another approach.

Good Luck.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:43 AM

12,247 posts, read 8,036,209 times
If I remember correctly I think a car can be in the same spot for 72 hours. We have a neighbor who has a dumpy car and he moves it every few days. People have left notes on it and I think someone even called the HOA.

My folks parked the huge RV in front of my house for four days but luckily my neighbors were cool with it.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:22 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,215,035 times
This is really a "thing"?? I live in Stapleton and there are always cars parked on the streets in front of houses. In front of houses that are a half million and up. Seems like a silly thing to be worried about, and I'd feel creeped out to know some HOA had their eye on me, looking at my driveway to see how many cars were parked where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or