U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-11-2015, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Colorado
546 posts, read 1,485,691 times
Reputation: 702

Advertisements

Just curious--does anyone know if you live in Jeff Co. do you have the option to choice enroll (if you make it and get in of course) to a high school in Douglas Co. which is also a choice district I believe. We live in a great district but are basically looking into this because of sports for one of our boys. I'm hoping this is a possibility because I LOVE where we live and really don't want to think about moving.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2015, 04:49 PM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 18 days ago)
 
Location: Just south of Denver since 1989
10,882 posts, read 29,307,638 times
Reputation: 7085
Colorado School District Open Enrollment Web Pages

Open Enrollment starts now for 2015-2016 school year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2015, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Colorado
546 posts, read 1,485,691 times
Reputation: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Colorado School District Open Enrollment Web Pages

Open Enrollment starts now for 2015-2016 school year.
Thanks. We have a few years to go but it's good to know it is an option. Crossing my fingers the program at the high school near us gets better by the time he goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2015, 07:53 PM
 
Location: Denver CO
20,970 posts, read 11,615,689 times
Reputation: 31807
I can't speak about JeffCo or Douglas County but it's important to remember that just because a district has choice, doesn't mean there will be room. I live in Stapleton in Denver, which is a very popular area with good schools. Many more kids want to attend most of these schools than there is room for, and Stapleton residents get a preference in specific schools in our enrollment zone. I was told by administration at some of these schools that they will not accept kids trying to choice in because they do not have room once the kids in the enrollment zone all get a space. This is for kids within the same Denver school district, but not in the specific enrollment zone. My advice is that if you have specific preferences in schools, you should live in the enrollment zone for those schools so your child is guaranteed a seat, and not rely on a choice process which is not a guarantee you will get what you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2015, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Littleton, CO
3,111 posts, read 4,881,407 times
Reputation: 5429
What sport does your boy play?

If the sport is not offered at the school the student attends, then the student has the option of playing for a different school that offers that sport.

If you are hoping to send your child to a school that has a "better" team, I would caution against that. There is no guarantee that you child will make the team, and transferring schools later will cause him to lose eligibility.

As for school of choice, a student can apply at any school in any district. The receiving school sets the stipulations on whether to accept the student. Generally a school district will accommodate any applicants from their own district first, and if there is any space left, they will accommodate students from out of district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2015, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,880 posts, read 102,269,915 times
Reputation: 32945
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
What sport does your boy play?

If the sport is not offered at the school the student attends, then the student has the option of playing for a different school that offers that sport.

If you are hoping to send your child to a school that has a "better" team, I would caution against that. There is no guarantee that you child will make the team, and transferring schools later will cause him to lose eligibility.

As for school of choice, a student can apply at any school in any district. The receiving school sets the stipulations on whether to accept the student. Generally a school district will accommodate any applicants from their own district first, and if there is any space left, they will accommodate students from out of district.
^^^This. I don't know how many times I had to tell gymnastics parents, "your kid can do gymnastics at Broomfield High if they go to a Boulder Valley school". One of the gymnastics moms found that even the personnel at the schools don't know this; she had to "educate" them at her kid's HS, which shall remain nameless.

Every district sets priorities for OE, and as David said, it's usually in-district before out-of-district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2015, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Littleton, CO
3,111 posts, read 4,881,407 times
Reputation: 5429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
Thanks. We have a few years to go but it's good to know it is an option. Crossing my fingers the program at the high school near us gets better by the time he goes.
I am mounting my high horse to give unsolicited advice about your plan. I skipped over it when I wrote my first reply.

There are many reasons to open enroll your child to another school:

1. To get your child a better education.
2. To give your child a safer environment.
3. To enroll your child in a magnet school.
4. To take your child to the school where you work.

As an educator and former high school coach, I do not believe that the quality of a sports team should EVER factor into a decision whether to attend a school.

First, I have to ask what the goal for your son athletically is. If it is to someday be a professional athlete, then good luck. You can take a look at his chances here (note: baseball is the highest at 0.5%, but professional does not mean MLB. It means toiling in the minors for years).

If the goal is to get a college scholarship, then what you need to do is calculate all the money that you have spent and will spend in pursuit of that scholarship. Scholarship money is limited and full scholarships are rare in most sports. Unfortunately the competition for boys is much greater than it is for girls, so landing a full scholarship as a male athlete is exceptionally rare. I have a friend whose son has signed his letter of intent to go to college on a baseball scholarship. By his own estimation, he has spent $60,000 on baseball in the last five years. That money went for equipment, uniforms, club fees, travel and more. The scholarship his son got will just about cover the amount spent as long as he doesn't lose the scholarship while he's there.

Additionally, there are many things that can happen between now and the time your son graduates.

I have seen knees blown out. Tommy John surgery, too many concussions, and other medical maladies strike these athletes during their junior/senior year and athletes that were once hoping for scholarships are lucky if they are asked to walk on.

I have seen students from out of state move in and take over spots on the roster that some kid who had been working for 2-3 years in the program thought was his. Remember, your son is useful to the coach only as long as he is one of the best. If someone better comes along, well, say good bye to your starting position.

I have seen coaches leave/retire and the program loses its significance, while the students who choiced into the school cannot leave without suffering eligibility problems. Many Mullen football players were stuck in this quandary after Dave Logan was fired. New coaches want to build their own programs, so many times juniors and seniors are benched in favor of younger athletes who will spend more time in the new system.

I've seen students burn out because what started as a fun activity got old quickly as they developed new interests, but kept playing because they didn't want to disappoint their parents.

I guarantee that if a kid in the fifth or sixth grade is thinking about choicing into another school to play sports, he didn't get that idea by himself. Some adult planted the idea in his head. Most kids are content to play with their friends from the neighborhood and just want to have fun.

I am dismounting from my high horse. You may resume your normal activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2015, 02:17 PM
 
Location: In The Thin Air
12,245 posts, read 8,033,606 times
Reputation: 8900
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
I am mounting my high horse to give unsolicited advice about your plan. I skipped over it when I wrote my first reply.

There are many reasons to open enroll your child to another school:

1. To get your child a better education.
2. To give your child a safer environment.
3. To enroll your child in a magnet school.
4. To take your child to the school where you work.

As an educator and former high school coach, I do not believe that the quality of a sports team should EVER factor into a decision whether to attend a school.

First, I have to ask what the goal for your son athletically is. If it is to someday be a professional athlete, then good luck. You can take a look at his chances here (note: baseball is the highest at 0.5%, but professional does not mean MLB. It means toiling in the minors for years).

If the goal is to get a college scholarship, then what you need to do is calculate all the money that you have spent and will spend in pursuit of that scholarship. Scholarship money is limited and full scholarships are rare in most sports. Unfortunately the competition for boys is much greater than it is for girls, so landing a full scholarship as a male athlete is exceptionally rare. I have a friend whose son has signed his letter of intent to go to college on a baseball scholarship. By his own estimation, he has spent $60,000 on baseball in the last five years. That money went for equipment, uniforms, club fees, travel and more. The scholarship his son got will just about cover the amount spent as long as he doesn't lose the scholarship while he's there.

Additionally, there are many things that can happen between now and the time your son graduates.

I have seen knees blown out. Tommy John surgery, too many concussions, and other medical maladies strike these athletes during their junior/senior year and athletes that were once hoping for scholarships are lucky if they are asked to walk on.

I have seen students from out of state move in and take over spots on the roster that some kid who had been working for 2-3 years in the program thought was his. Remember, your son is useful to the coach only as long as he is one of the best. If someone better comes along, well, say good bye to your starting position.

I have seen coaches leave/retire and the program loses its significance, while the students who choiced into the school cannot leave without suffering eligibility problems. Many Mullen football players were stuck in this quandary after Dave Logan was fired. New coaches want to build their own programs, so many times juniors and seniors are benched in favor of younger athletes who will spend more time in the new system.

I've seen students burn out because what started as a fun activity got old quickly as they developed new interests, but kept playing because they didn't want to disappoint their parents.

I guarantee that if a kid in the fifth or sixth grade is thinking about choicing into another school to play sports, he didn't get that idea by himself. Some adult planted the idea in his head. Most kids are content to play with their friends from the neighborhood and just want to have fun.

I am dismounting from my high horse. You may resume your normal activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:44 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top