U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 10:00 AM

3 posts, read 3,219 times

Advertisements

My family and I are planning to relocate to the Denver area. I was wondering how much is a reasonable amount to expect to pay for a home in a good area in a good school district? And what are the good districts? I have seen a lot about Douglas and Cherry Creek...any others that come highly recommended? We are more "off the beaten path" type of people so from what I've read Cherry Creek doesn't seem like it would be the best fit. It doesn't need to be an extravagant home but also I do not want a fixer-upper. Our children are elementary aged. We would like to downsize the size of our home considerably so we were thinking 2500 sq ft and under. We have spent sometime looking at listings online but with not knowing its very hard to dial in what pricing bracket we should be looking at. We will be in the area for a ski trip at the end of February and would like to take the last few days to check out some areas and get a feel for where we like. What areas would you suggest we spend some time checking out? I know in a lot of relocation threads people ask for a lot more detailed info but we really are just a blank slate! Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 10:16 AM

10,910 posts, read 29,397,473 times
Welcome to Denver!

Where will work be? You can get a home for $300,000 or $500,000 or anywhere in between. Average is close to $400,000.

You can get a new home for $500,000, or a fixer for $275,000. I understand you do not want a fixer, just giving you the scope.

There are "good" schools in every district. It's up to you to decide what is "good" - it could be arts, sciences, test scores, full day kindergarten...

Old 01-12-2015, 10:19 AM

12,279 posts, read 8,088,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photomom324 View Post
My family and I are planning to relocate to the Denver area. I was wondering how much is a reasonable amount to expect to pay for a home in a good area in a good school district? And what are the good districts? I have seen a lot about Douglas and Cherry Creek...any others that come highly recommended? We are more "off the beaten path" type of people so from what I've read Cherry Creek doesn't seem like it would be the best fit. It doesn't need to be an extravagant home but also I do not want a fixer-upper. Our children are elementary aged. We would like to downsize the size of our home considerably so we were thinking 2500 sq ft and under. We have spent sometime looking at listings online but with not knowing its very hard to dial in what pricing bracket we should be looking at. We will be in the area for a ski trip at the end of February and would like to take the last few days to check out some areas and get a feel for where we like. What areas would you suggest we spend some time checking out? I know in a lot of relocation threads people ask for a lot more detailed info but we really are just a blank slate! Thank you so much!
If you are thinking off the beaten path you may want to look at Parker or Castle Rock. It also depends on work will be.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:20 AM

384 posts, read 409,048 times
Yep, blank slate.

I'd recommend we start filling that in.

List out your priorities.

How close do you want to be to the mountains?
How important is public transportation (ie, you'll take it if it's easy, but you are mostly car people)?
How many kids do you have?
What are their ages?
Do the kids have specific sporting/extracurricular needs?
Do you need a walkable neighborhood or are you ok with driving 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes to do your shopping?
Suburban, urban?
Where are the potential jobs located?

I'd say starting ticking some of those boxes and your answer will start to become clearer and you'll get down to some choices.

Most of the school districts are ok, so it's really about needs and individual schools within the districts - that is where some are better than others. Just picking a district may put you next to a bad grade school but you could then choice to one you like better.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Welcome to Denver!

Where will work be? You can get a home for $300,000 or $500,000 or anywhere in between. Average is close to $400,000.

You can get a new home for $500,000, or a fixer for $275,000. I understand you do not want a fixer, just giving you the scope.

There are "good" schools in every district. It's up to you to decide what is "good" - it could be arts, sciences, test scores, full day kindergarten...
Thank you! My husband works from home so we don't have to worry about a commute.

As for what a "good" school is to me that is a great question. I want a school district that my kids will get a good education from. Ideally, I would like a smaller class size. Music and Art are both big with my family, but athletics not so much. I like schools that think outside the box in regards to challenging kids and don't try to mold every kid to be the same. Ones that are more worried about the kids rather than what test score everyone has. Does that help at all?

Old 01-12-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by step33 View Post
Yep, blank slate.

I'd recommend we start filling that in.

List out your priorities.

How close do you want to be to the mountains?
How important is public transportation (ie, you'll take it if it's easy, but you are mostly car people)?
How many kids do you have?
What are their ages?
Do the kids have specific sporting/extracurricular needs?
Do you need a walkable neighborhood or are you ok with driving 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes to do your shopping?
Suburban, urban?
Where are the potential jobs located?

I'd say starting ticking some of those boxes and your answer will start to become clearer and you'll get down to some choices.

Most of the school districts are ok, so it's really about needs and individual schools within the districts - that is where some are better than others. Just picking a district may put you next to a bad grade school but you could then choice to one you like better.
I would like to be relatively close to the mountains, but we don't necessarily have to be in the foothills. The wildfire risk makes me nervous and the level of preparation you need to maintain in case of a wildfire and evacuation isn't really something I would necessarily be awesome at. I also don't want to have to drive through Denver every time we go to the mountains. When I look I tend to stay on the western side of Denver.

We are mostly car people.

We currently have 2 children 8 and 5 and have plans for a 3rd.

My daughter is into gymnastics, volleyball and piano and my son does taekwando and soccer.

I am open to a walkable area as well as having to drive. We like to be conveniently located to grocery, restaurants, gas stations. You know, important places..like Target! I don't want to have to drive far to get to any of those places.

I would say suburban. We don't want to be right in the center of the city.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:17 PM

451 posts, read 384,039 times
I could be dead wrong here, but based on things you've said about your kids, I think Arvada might be worth looking into. They have at least one AWESOME martial arts school and a really nice Center for the Arts. In addition, the schools are pretty good and I know the HS volleyball team is pretty good. There are also some fantastic volleyball clubs where they train incoming freshman and beyond. Excellent experience for the girls! The rec. center is really nice and offers something for everyone. The Olde Town area is pretty popular with a lot of people. Easy commute to Hwy 36, I25 and I70. Nice parks for hiking biking and easy commute into the mountains. For $400K - $500K you could find a very nice house. You could find them cheaper as well, but might have to do some minor fixes like painting, updating fixtures etc.

As far as amenities go, you'll have several grocery stores hardware stores, Target, Walmart, fast-food joints, nice restaurants, movie theatres, bowling, golf, pretty much anything you want within a few miles.

Good luck!

Old 01-12-2015, 01:38 PM

6,947 posts, read 6,555,534 times
Ken Caryl sounds like it would be a good fit.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:21 AM

2,455 posts, read 2,625,317 times
Also look at the southwest suburbs between roughly S. Wadsworth and C-470 on the west. Lots of shopping and a straight shot to 470 and access to mountains but you aren't in the foothills. Good school district - Jefferson County.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:10 PM

384 posts, read 409,048 times
Yep, Ken Caryl, SW Lakewood, Littleton (or unicorporated Jeff Co with Littleton address).

Arvada as noted also will work for you. VERY generally west of Wadsworth from C470 up through Golden. Lots of good options in there can be found with some searching around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or