Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 12:36 AM

38 posts, read 55,553 times

Advertisements

With the insanely cheap oil prices, a potential tech bubble, interest rates set to rise, AirBnB crackdowns, and the Supreme Court possibly to ban legal weed... Could the Denver metro area possibly burst? It seems new builders are not to be trusted, especially if new legislation is passed to make them less liable for things like the bentonite soil disaster, yet demand is still high. How many houses along the Front Range depend on frakking exploits to pay their mortgages? Or will the ever-rising sea levels that will surely consume many coastal metro cities ensure Colorado real estate prices will keep an upward trend for the foreseeable future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 08:41 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times
Yeah, we're all going to die. Alcohol will become illegal too.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:55 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,184 times
You forgot bearvalanches and elkanos.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:24 AM

694 posts, read 1,038,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VileTat View Post
With the insanely cheap oil prices, a potential tech bubble, interest rates set to rise, AirBnB crackdowns, and the Supreme Court possibly to ban legal weed... Could the Denver metro area possibly burst? It seems new builders are not to be trusted, especially if new legislation is passed to make them less liable for things like the bentonite soil disaster, yet demand is still high. How many houses along the Front Range depend on frakking exploits to pay their mortgages? Or will the ever-rising sea levels that will surely consume many coastal metro cities ensure Colorado real estate prices will keep an upward trend for the foreseeable future?
Turn off the Rush Limbaugh . . . Chill out . . . head up to Breck for the weekend and inhale some nice mountain air.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:32 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
I predict that I'll buy even less cheap gas, not adapt the regular use of many new technologies, not re-finance, not pay to sleep in somebody else's house, and not purchase legal weed. Will update 1/1/16 if I remember.

Lol at some of your questions. What did all these people here do before fracking? Rising sea levels? Is that why Denver is popular right now?

Old 01-16-2015, 10:38 AM

38 posts, read 55,553 times
Very chill here, trust me ;-) Just musing over all of these things, thinking super long term... Sea level rises might not seem so serious now but it really is going to be a big deal in the next century. And with our advances in medical technology a lot more of us might be around to confront these far off issues than we might think today, no joke.

After recently hearing from multiple folks up in South Dakota that are having serious problems due to the oil glut, it made me wonder how many Front Range inhabitants rely on oil income to stay. Denver Post articles were saying about $70/barrel lets most companies barely break even but oil is down in the $40s so these companies are not going to be able to hold on long term it seems...

Really, just trying to decide if this spring is really a sane time to buy, or if it would make more sense to rent for a year or two and see if house prices decline, instead of potentially buying in at a high point only to be underwater a few years later. Not seriously worried about most of the things in my OP, but the tiny tiny bit I am concerned about those things is greatly amplified the more I think about getting into a long term mortgage.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:47 AM

694 posts, read 1,038,933 times
Quote:
Very chill here, trust me ;-) Just musing over all of these things, thinking super long term... Sea level rises might not seem so serious now but it really is going to be a big deal in the next century. And with our advances in medical technology a lot more of us might be around to confront these far off issues than we might think today, no joke.

After recently hearing from multiple folks up in South Dakota that are having serious problems due to the oil glut, it made me wonder how many Front Range inhabitants rely on oil income to stay. Denver Post articles were saying about $70/barrel lets most companies barely break even but oil is down in the $40s so these companies are not going to be able to hold on long term it seems...

Really, just trying to decide if this spring is really a sane time to buy, or if it would make more sense to rent for a year or two and see if house prices decline, instead of potentially buying in at a high point only to be underwater a few years later. Not seriously worried about most of the things in my OP, but the tiny tiny bit I am concerned about those things is greatly amplified the more I think about getting into a long term mortgage.
I lived in West Arvada during the early 80's. Jackson Browne and Bonnie Raitt led a march down Hwy 93 to protest Rocky Flats. I never thought twice about health concerns. I'm still alive today.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:23 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,791,770 times
Default I cannot predict the future

Quote:
Really, just trying to decide if this spring is really a sane time to buy, or if it would make more sense to rent for a year or two and see if house prices decline
If this looks like a bubble to you, then rent.
If this does not look like a bubble, then buy.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:23 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I predict that I'll buy even less cheap gas, not adapt the regular use of many new technologies, not re-finance, not pay to sleep in somebody else's house, and not purchase legal weed. Will update 1/1/16 if I remember.

Lol at some of your questions. What did all these people here do before fracking? Rising sea levels? Is that why Denver is popular right now?
The Gulf of Mexico is lapping at Lamar. Hadn't you heard?

Old 01-16-2015, 01:51 PM

2,272 posts, read 3,073,100 times
Quote:

Since you asked about predictions for 2015 I'm not really sure what sea level change is going to have to do with anything. If it happens that fast I think it's safe to say we're ALL screwed.

Also, luckily the Denver metro is less dependent on energy than it was in the 80s during the last energy bust. Aside from fracking there are plenty of stable jobs to be had in wind and solar which aren't going away anytime soon. The tech and financial sectors have really taken off, and really more people have moved for the lifestyle (with only a very small percent because of legal weed) than anything else. A more mobile population wants to live where they can enjoy their ideal lifestyle, and Denver will always have a lot to offer in that regard unless the mountains decide to get up and walk away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver