Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 07:34 PM

10 posts, read 19,546 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Denver in several weeks. I am self-employed, but may end up taking a job too, so commuting is something I have to take into consideration.

I am worried about property crime: my car being broken into/vandalized
I am also worried about traffic.

I have the choice of two housing options:
One is west of downtown, near Golden, but before you get to it, near 20th and I-70. (Google maps is calling it "Applewood" area)
The other location is several miles south of downtown, near Yale Ave and Colorado Blvd.

Can anyone tell me the best choice in terms of traffic, crowds, being a nice area (clean looking, not rundown), and convenience?

I have also had housing options in Centennial and Westminster. If someone wants to comment on traffic from those areas as well, I'm keeping them as a backup plan.

I'm simply renting two rooms (or a basement apt) from someone on Craigslist, that's why I have a few options on the table. Since its just me (and my two dogs), I hate to pay an entire living overhead by myself, in case anyone is wondering.

I appreciate any advice you kind knowledgeable folks are willing to give. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 07:38 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
University.

Applewood is wonderful for married couples who enjoy quiet suburban life. I have friends who live (they will most likely live there forever) in the unincorporated JeffCo part.
Easy access to I-70.

University is close to downtown.
Easy access to I-25.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:40 PM

371 posts, read 361,162 times
I live about four miles from Applewood. The local traffic there is nowhere near as bad as the University/Yale area. Applewood has low population density, few apartments. It's on the edge of the metro area, right next to the mountains. If you want to explore the Colorado Rockies, you'll save an hour in each round trip. But because you're beneath the foothills, views of the higher mountains are hidden, compared to what you see from out at University Blvd. The University area will be a little more diverse, with more ethnic eateries, and some public events at the University of Denver nearby. Neither is a very crime-ridden area. Both are about equally far from downtown, with light rail running from both to the city center. You have two appealing choices here, with little prospect for regret!

Denver traffic can be bad at rush hour, of course. But keep in mind that we're not a symmetrical city. The city sprawls 40 miles E-W, but development N-S extends three times as far, from Colorado Springs almost to Wyoming. Most of the heavy flow goes north to south, which makes I-25 a miserable drive most of the time. There are two freeways leading out to Applewood, which gives it a big advantage in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver