Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 05:33 PM

8 posts, read 7,468 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

I and my husband are planning to move to Denver, Colorado and open fast food type of restaurant.
It will be kind of fusion style small fast foods. ( Asian(Korean) + Western)
The reason we chose CO is that we like liberal atmosphere , nice people who are open to any type of foods, not to mention beautiful nature.
We're trying to narrow down places to settle down and start our small business.

(1) Which city in Denver would be the best fit for fusion style of fast-food restaurant? We've never been to Denver, so no idea which place is nice to start our business and settle down. It doesn't have to be super downtown area as long as there are traffics around, and people commute, and would be great if there are some schools, companies so we can attract people to come down to try our foods.

(2) As a female, I'd like to know whether I can find some hospitals easily - gyne, dermatology, dental .
Is it easy to find these clinics anywhere in Denver? This is important to me, so please let me know.

(3) My husband is also considering Fort Collins/ Springs, which are smaller size city, but I'm afraid that it may not be convenient due to above reason ( finding some hospitals) , or less demand for our foods. Of cos I'm fully aware these two places are so gorgeous towns! Need your objective opinion.

Hope to hear from you lots of advice ! Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 05:41 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Not much about Colorado Springs that I'd call liberal.

Boulder, Fort Collins and Denver are the liberal areas where such an eatery might work.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:43 PM

4,026 posts, read 2,711,590 times
Very recently, the corner of Mississippi and Peoria in Aurora (suburb of Denver), Colorado revamped itself with a Pacific Ocean supermarket and a number of Asian restaurants in the same strip mall. There is a significant Asian population in the area (enough that the guy behind the revamp felt it was worth the financial investment to 'centralize' it.)

That same area is also very close to a number of hospitals/medical offices.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:55 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,216,321 times
I do feel the need to mention this but have you looked at rental/lease rates for restaurants in Colorado? If it is anything like the housing and warehouse market, it is pretty high. I would strongly recommend getting some rate quotations before you up and move.

If you haven't watched it, I highly recommend watching Restaurant Startup on CNBC. It opened my eyes to the things that go into a successful restaurant.

Korean fusion isn't new. We have two in Tulsa and seem to be doing well (ie. Open more than 6 months).

Old 01-25-2015, 07:40 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
I think Oregon or Washington would be better.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:31 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
The Korean part of town is in Aurora. It is mostly centered around Havana St and Peoria St. north of Hampden

There is a larger population of Indians and Chinese in the area as well.

I cannot comment on the demand for such a restaurant.

I would spend time with a restaurant consultant to find out if a market for your restaurant exists, where the best location might be, and how much money would be needed to start up a place and put it into a position to succeed.

It might be just me, but asking a few strangers on an internet forum does not seem like market research.

Good luck.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:09 AM

8 posts, read 7,468 times
Thanks for your replies, everyone.

1) Actually, it's kinda fusion food, but way closer to western food, so we don't have to be located in Korea town or so.
Other than Aurora, which part of Denver would be great for fast food type restaurant? It shouldn't be sleepy town, it should be with some traffic, not crazy expensive rental, and can attract people nearby. I know it's a bit vague to say, but we both never been to CO so need your advice !

2) Anybody can introduce some restaurant consultant to us? It would be so great!

Thanks!

Old 01-26-2015, 11:56 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
What exactly is Asian/Western fusion? Do you have some examples?

Do you know what demographic you are looking to attract? I see that you are also considering Corvallis/Eugene Oregon and Olympia/Tacoma Washington. It looks like you got some good advice in the Washington forum.

What is your business plan? Have you looked into the costs of running a restaurant?

Have you considered a food truck versus a storefront?

Old 01-26-2015, 12:24 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
On the TV show, Food Truck Revolution, on the Cooking Channel, last night, there was a segment on Koi Fusion food truck in Portland.

The OP might be better off doing a food truck eatery as that trend seems to be growing.

This youtube video has the Koi Fusion segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnF4Pxjjko8
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:29 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
I don't have any advice but I think your restaurant would do great here and I hope you come here. Neighborhoods like Baker and Highlands some to mind as good locations. South Broadway, E Colfax. There are tons of locations that could work well for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver