Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 11:13 AM

331 posts, read 465,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
That's Montbello. Are you serious? The only thing it has going to for it, is an easy commute to DEN.

Google "Denver Montbello crime" for some interesting reading. I'm sure lots of nice folks live there but I wouldn't want to.

Also, Denver's Montbello High School ready to graduate last class - The Denver Post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 11:48 AM

67 posts, read 136,399 times
Thanks all. Good info. Any info on the Lafayette/Erie commute?

Stapleton is probably out with cost and claustrophobic-Pleasantville feel. Need good yard for 2 big dogs, just don't see it long term.

Centennial area we're looking at is north of 470 - west of 25 - it seems those houses are a bit older and therefore have larger yards. Trade off for no town I guess. Commute would likely be up 225 toward 70 - how bad would that be?

Old 01-29-2015, 11:54 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,284,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzatlarge View Post
That's Montbello. Are you serious? The only thing it has going to for it, is an easy commute to DEN.

Google "Denver Montbello crime" for some interesting reading. I'm sure lots of nice folks live there but I wouldn't want to.

Also, Denver's Montbello High School ready to graduate last class - The Denver Post.

That's the best place for commute but if that's not an option, one has to go further south around Southlands Mall area that's 20 minutes drive to avoid high crime areas but that also includes paying 470 toll.
Stapleton is an option but only a small area is considered good neighborhood there as well.
North part of Brighton/Thornton may be another option but traffic may be an issue.

Here is the crime map:

Attached Thumbnails
If you work at DIA, where to live?-denver-crime-map.png  

Old 01-29-2015, 12:01 PM

403 posts, read 759,129 times
On E-470 There's a 20% discount for Express Toll holders...so if you're commuting frequently enough, it would be worth looking into.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:04 PM

459 posts, read 807,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovin2movin View Post
Lafayette sounds like what you are looking for (especially along Public with the small town feel), but it's roughly the same issue as Parker when it comes to the commute. The only way to get that in the 30-45 minute range is to use 470 (and possibly the NW parkway depending on where in Lafayette). Which will make it at the minimum just as expensive each way as Parker.

Quote:
Centennial area we're looking at is north of 470 - west of 25 - it seems those houses are a bit older and therefore have larger yards. Trade off for no town I guess. Commute would likely be up 225 toward 70 - how bad would that be?
It would be in that 30-45 minute range during optimal times, but rush hour, construction, accidents, etc have the potential to double that quite frequently.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:08 PM

977 posts, read 1,327,585 times
Quote:
If you're working standard hours it will probably be over an hour each way in bumper to bumper. Have fun.

The only way that you make your desired locations somewhat bearable is if you shell out the money for E-470. That's the only way.

Another option is Reunion in Commerce City or Brighton.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:09 PM

331 posts, read 465,185 times
Quote:
Thanks all. Good info. [snip]

In my opinion, it would suck. I-225 gets clobbered up to some degree every rush hour. In both directions. If there's an accident, it's worse. I live in SE Denver near I-25 and Hampden. I-225 is the optimal choice from my home to the airport. But when I commuted to the airport daily, I always checked traffic conditions and frequently chose "back road" options to avoid sitting on or crawling along 225. As I mentioned, I have family living in Centennial, in the same general area you're describing. Nice neighborhood, but I would totally hate commuting from there to the airport daily. I can't believe you'd be able to do it in less than an hour each way. Especially if you don't do E-470.

I went house-hunting while working at the airport, and soon realized that Centennial was out of the question because I just couldn't tolerate commuting that far, even allowing for being able to speed along on E-470.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:40 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliern View Post
On E-470 There's a 20% discount for Express Toll holders...so if you're commuting frequently enough, it would be worth looking into.
You're right. The $13.80 per day I quoted earlier is was the license plate toll. Was reading the wrong side of the chart. With Express Toll it's $11 R/T per day or $55/wk, $2860/yr. Still pricy.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:41 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
That's the best place for commute but if that's not an option, one has to go further south around Southlands Mall area that's 20 minutes drive to avoid high crime areas but that also includes paying 470 toll.
Stapleton is an option but only a small area is considered good neighborhood there as well.
North part of Brighton/Thornton may be another option but traffic may be an issue.

Here is the crime map:
Say what? Only a small area of Stapleton is considered a good neighborhood? Do share which part, please.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:46 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:

Stapleton is probably out with cost and claustrophobic-Pleasantville feel. Need good yard for 2 big dogs, just don't see it long term.

I really think if you try it for a year, you will see how much better your quality of life is when you live closer to work. End of the day, you can't fit a square peg in a round hole, but I don't think the lot size differences in Centennial versus Stapleton are that appreciable. Plenty of us live in the city with big dogs. we just use the parks and open spaces nearby.

My 95 lb city dog:

Last edited by SkyDog77; 01-29-2015 at 01:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver