U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 01-08-2008, 06:16 PM

9 posts, read 30,904 times
Default Whats up in Roxborough?

This area south of Denver sure does have a lot of nice homes for sale rather cheaply. My family is looking to relocate to the Denver area and think this looks like the perfect area for us - close to the mountains but still in a nice neighborhood for the kids! ANd I think think this is Douglas County schools - they are supposed to be pretty great, right?

So what I am asking is - is there somethign I should know about the Roxborough neighborhoods? Have there been issues with bad builders or something, or is it a terrible commute, or a flood zone or something? Just wondering b/c the housing prices seem too good to be true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-08-2008, 09:04 PM

5,748 posts, read 6,514,454 times
It's a difficult commute, unless you work at the Waterton Canyon Lockheed site. There are also some significant water issues. Jazzlover would probably know more. Nonetheless, it is a beautiful area and it has some pretty magnificent houses by the golf course.

Unread 04-03-2008, 12:07 PM

3 posts, read 16,211 times
Default Living in Roxborough Park, Colorado

I have lived in Roxborough Park for 5 years and just love it. The rumor about problems with the water is just that. The water company made a mistake in the billing one month and the news jumped all over the high water bills. Our money was refunded but the media never cared to report on that. So now I hear again and again how we have water problems which is not true.

Homes tend to be listed for less money in this area for a couple of reasons - one is that until about 3 years ago, we did not have any retail in the area. Now we have the Safeway Center with Sonic, Heidi's, Nicolo's Pizza, Tamale Kitchen, JP's Asian Bistro, Curves, a martial arts center, a cleaners and other businesses. This area is growing quickly as there are plans for thousands of more homes.

Another reason is that we are located in the most northwest corner of Douglas County, just minutes from Littleton but real estate agents don't tend to search in Douglas County if they are looking for Jefferson County South (Littleton). Basically, not everyone knows we are here! My husband commutes to Wheat Ridge (northwest of Denver) and is there in around 35 minutes using C470 and I70.

Roxborough consists of several areas - all with their unique characteristics. The least expensive areas are in Roxborough Village. This area is within walking distance to the retail area, the elementary school and the new intermediate school. There are older homes (built in the 80's) which can sell for under $200,000 and newer homes. There is an area of the village that surrounds a lake with higher priced homes. And then there is the area most south where homes can go in the $500's.

Another area of newer homes is Chatfield Farms. This area is the closest to Jefferson County and has homes in the $300's to $500's.

Roxborough Park is a gated community 2 miles south of the retail center and consists of all custom homes ranging from the $300's to over $2 million. There are also a few lower-priced townhomes available. Most of the homes have exquisite views and the neighborhood surrounds beautiful Arrowhead Golf Club (public).

The newest area is Ravenna which is an exclusive, gated community with a private golf course where the homes start at about $1 million.

So you see, we have some very affordable housing here and it is a spectacular place to live. I cannot see any drawback to buying a home here and enjoying the amazing views and wildlife.

[mod cut]

Last edited by suzco; 04-03-2008 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: no soliciting

Unread 04-04-2008, 11:54 PM

46 posts, read 123,605 times
Its an awful pretty place but its far away from everyone and everything. C470 is a nightmare if you plan on driving during the peak drive times.

Unread 04-05-2008, 04:52 PM

90 posts, read 461,990 times
We looked at Roxborough when we were planning our relocation. The proximity to the foothills was lovely.

However, we shake our heads very often nowadays as we're driving over to the Sonic (the closest to HR there is -- crazy!) thinking about the nightmare commute to ThunderRidge High School for our kids we would have had if we'd bought there.

That's what shifted our search quickly, when we realized all those early morning and after school activities would be out because there is NO walking to/from home.

Unread 04-05-2008, 11:16 PM

139 posts, read 378,222 times
I sent my husband there to look at a home, he said no way, too far out. He also felt that way with Pinery in Parker.

Unread 04-07-2008, 11:07 AM

25 posts, read 45,246 times
We have also looked in Roxborough Park and continue to do so. One area of concern is the high HOA fees; other than a gated community, can anyone tell us what you get for the high fees?

Unread 04-14-2008, 11:06 AM

2 posts, read 10,782 times
I've lived here in the Village area for six and a half years now and I've loved it. The commute isn't that bad depending on where you work. When I was working my commute was never more than 30 minutes to DTC. I like the balance of being "away" from the city, but still close enough to enjoy it when I want it. We have the shopping center now, which was tastefully done, so that's been convenient. We're surrounded by parks so there's plenty of play areas for kids.
The HOA fees were raised to 45$ a month last year, since they plan to do a lot of new landscaping in some areas. It pays for trash, snow removal, and grounds maintenance. They do special events throughout the year like the Easter Egg hunt and other community get-togethers. The person who does the snow removal of the walk-ways lives here, so we don't have to worry about waiting for someone to come down here at their convenience. I don't know anything about the Park area, though. It really is like the stereotypical suburban neighborhood. We have neighborhood BBQs, hang out every weekend at the firepit in the warm months, and have holiday parties. The elementary school used to be year-round, but now they're going to a more traditional school year, since the new school opened.

Our kids love it here, but unfortunately my husband's job is changing so we are selling the house and moving to another state. I'll miss our house, huge back yard and the neighborhood, but we enjoyed our time here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver