U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 01:37 PM

9,224 posts, read 15,898,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
That's a pour-over, most places will do that these days. Even Starbucks will do that if you ask

Another one not far from Corvus to check out is Steam Espresso Bar, it's really low key and they have some good stuff
Starbucks will do a pour-over but with pre-ground coffee from what I have seen.

It's all in the grind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUal5lWRYvg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 02:10 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,299,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Look at those labels closely, it may be a blend which you definitely don't want to pay any extra $$$ for. It sounds like you know the difference though. I have family in Kona with a coffee plantation and online store. I don't think I can share the link publicly here because it will look like advertising. But I can send it to you if you PM me.

I agree that there is nothing like real KONA, and 'craft coffees' are sort of a joke if they're just importing beans from wherever and roasting it themselves. It's not like wine, or even beer, where the making of it is this long sensitive process which really affects the final product. For coffee, it's all about the growing of the crop. Roasting it is pretty straightforward and you should not be adding flavors to it until after you brew it. (or not even then if you're a purist) How you brew it can make a difference, but even that's mostly about using good water, clean equipment and the right balance of ingredients.

I've switched to cold brewing (100% kona dark roast) for its simplicity and clean taste. But it definitely tastes different than what people are used to and a lot of people don't like it.
Yep, I've been to Kona a couple times and toured some of the plantations. It's really the best you can get fresh from there, we found Mountain Thunder to be really good though very expensive.

Haven't tried the cold brewing thing yet

Old 02-05-2015, 12:48 PM

9 posts, read 11,275 times
Cold brewing is where it's at! Coffee comes out naturally sweet, no need to add anything to it although it's really good if you add a splash of Coca-Cola on top

Old 02-05-2015, 03:08 PM

9,224 posts, read 15,898,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Timer New Guy View Post
Cold brewing is where it's at! Coffee comes out naturally sweet, no need to add anything to it although it's really good if you add a splash of Coca-Cola on top
-Mind blown-

Old 02-05-2015, 03:23 PM

9 posts, read 11,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
-Mind blown-
I thought my girlfriend was crazy until I tried it. She works at Dazbog so she's hip to the coffee scene. Definitely my favorite drink in the summer time

Old 02-05-2015, 05:23 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,709,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
I don't see what makes it Craft Coffee? Just a buzzword I think to make it sound more trendy.

People have been roasting their own coffee for many years, even Starbucks does this.
Have you had it?

It's frequently Fair Trade, lighter roasts, with far more attention to the chemistry of what makes a fantastic cup of coffee...chemistry like weight, ratio, temperature, coarseness, water quality, age...

Every Starbucks I visit brews coffee too hot with beans roasted too dark that have been in the hopper too long leaving oils everywhere...should you want steamed milk they scald it with little care and to cover up all this they pump it so full of syrups you discover you're only real reason for drinking Starbucks is that you've acquired a taste for extremely bitter over sugared caffeinated sludge when you could be drinking coffee that has genuine variety and complexity before you even add the cream. All the while supporting small business and farmers that actually care about what they are giving you in exchange for your money instead of being content to rob you in exchange for something that only vaguely resembles the beverage you think you are drinking.

But you're probably right. Just a buzzword. You know, like "Venti Caramel Macchiato, Skim, Extra Shot, Extra-Hot, Extra-Whip, Sugar-Free". You know. To make it more trendy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver