Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 10:31 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,092,523 times

Advertisements

Zestimates are worthless, and assessed value is not correlated with market value, at least not in Denver. In some markets, I think they are more closely related.

Your real estate agent should be able to give you a competitive market assessment, which will give you some ball park idea of a reasonable offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 10:34 AM

100 posts, read 126,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Houses don't sell for "estimates" - by which I am guessing you mean asking price? They sell for what the market will bear and right now, it's definitely a seller's market. If you keep getting outbid, I'm guessing you are looking at things at the high end of your range? Try looking for something a bit below that price and then come in with an offer that is 5-10K above asking. Hopefully, that way, the next time, you will be the one to outbid the people who are bidding lower than you.

Since this is definitely not your forever home, it doesn't need to be perfect and have everything you want.
Our first bid is something we should've been more aggressive on. We still asked near 10k over. Though the person who got it paid full cash so maybe we didn't stand a chance.

Yeah we have been looking something towards the lower/mid end of our budget and asking 5-12k over in some cases. It's just tough and frustrating feeling a bit clueless as a first time buyer in an insanely competitive market. This thread has actually helped a lot, so thanks everyone!

Side-note: Our Realtor thinks are lender may not be ideal and suggested looking elsewhere. Does anyone have a great recommendation?

Old 02-06-2015, 10:45 AM

100 posts, read 126,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Just look at the first chart here http://www.city-data.com/forum/38330356-post218.html and tell me how it is going to get better for buyers. Inventory would have to TRIPLE for anything approaching a balanced market to appear.
That does help, sheesh the demand is going to be even more insane. I may be better off in a couple months for a small increase in inventory so I can find something that doesn't have 7+ offers within 2 days.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:59 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,092,523 times
Reading stories like these of people making offers on multiple houses and getting outbid makes me glad I bought my new construction house. No wheeling and dealing but I just had to say yep, I'll take it, sign the paperwork and it was a done deal!

OP, I'm not sure of all of your requirements and preferred location, but there is actually a fair amount of new construction in Stapleton that would be in your price point (as long as you don't go crazy with upgrades) if that has any interest for you. Townhouses, paired homes (duplexes) and some single family homes.

http://www.stapletondenver.com/find-your-home/

I would assume there are other new construction areas as well, although I am not personally familiar with them. But maybe that's a way to get what you want without getting outbid again?

Old 02-06-2015, 11:03 AM

17,689 posts, read 29,654,526 times
Default It depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Reading stories like these of people making offers on multiple houses and getting outbid makes me glad I bought my new construction house.
I have seen multiple offers on new construction in northwest Denver.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:03 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,277,970 times
Estimates are based on considering mainly similar house sold in the area.
But the bad part is all the recently sold houses will look cheaper in a market that's constantly going up.

There was a huge house for $325.
I offered $312.
Never heard back.
After few months I checked online and it was sold for $345.
Looks like looking for deal days are gone in housing market in Denver.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:04 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,079,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock2001 View Post
Side-note: Our Realtor thinks are lender may not be ideal and suggested looking elsewhere. Does anyone have a great recommendation?
I recommend "Not USAA". I use them for most of the services they offer, but their mortgage writing department is a cluster****. I used them when I was getting my mortgage. I went over everything very clearly with them in advance. Since I work in finance, I'm kind of anal that way.
Edit: Reducing personal disclosure.

In short, USAA screwed the process up and would have botched the entire transaction if I didn't tell the employees that it was blatantly unacceptable and that I expected them to work overtime that night to fix their mistake. They did the smart thing and put in the overtime to solve the "problem" that their department had created.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver