U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-06-2015, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Denver CO
20,947 posts, read 11,606,854 times
Reputation: 31781

Advertisements

Claire S suggested Stapleton yesterday.

I know we must all seem like a bunch of Stapleton Stepford families suggesting it all the time, but it really does offer a lot of what so many people are looking for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2015, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Texas
3,940 posts, read 3,235,139 times
Reputation: 6672
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Claire S suggested Stapleton yesterday.

I know we must all seem like a bunch of Stapleton Stepford families suggesting it all the time, but it really does offer a lot of what so many people are looking for!
LOL, I saw this post yesterday and opted not to mention Stapleton because I think I have been making too many Stapleton references the past week or two.

I figured someone else would say Stapleton- you, Claire or Denverian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2015, 02:24 PM
 
Location: The Berk in Denver, CO USA
13,942 posts, read 20,184,988 times
Reputation: 22564
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
all seem like a bunch of Stapleton Stepford families
Pleasantville, not Stepford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2015, 02:41 PM
 
384 posts, read 406,973 times
Reputation: 685
I'm on the Southwest side and a total homer for the south Green Mountain area. I'll let you search my previous posts for why that is and good options over here

The part that stuck out at me was the Jewish reference and not wanting to be the only one. I can honestly say I have NO CLUE the religion of most of my neighbors. I know a few are Catholic because I've seen them at church, and most are probably "Christian" (just because that seems to be the most popular around here). But unless you are Orthodox and need to walk to Synagogue on Saturday night, I wouldn't base my housing choice on my religion.

I just don't think people around here care that much. Even with the people that have tied the religion and politics thing together, the only time that comes up is around elections. In my daily interactions with people, it's just a non-issue. You are more likely to be "do you ski or snowboard?" long before someone will ask your religion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2015, 03:02 PM
 
Location: The Berk in Denver, CO USA
13,942 posts, read 20,184,988 times
Reputation: 22564
Default Very difficult

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFornia View Post
We love diversity.
Denver and Colorado are not ethnically diverse.
1. Denver's black population is 9% and falling. Greater Denver is about 4%.
2. Greater Denver's Asian population is tiny (Vietnamese, Korean).
3. Greater Denver's Hispanic population is poor (for the most part) and clustered in low-income neighborhoods. Many "Hispanics" do not even speak Español.

Unless you move to a few specific blocks in Park Hill, you are going to see Anglos and more Anglos.

Jews are 2% of Colorado's population. I think the largest concentration is in Hilltop. If you want to avoid "being the only ones", then you need to find all the synagogues and start from there. Step33 was spot on.

Oh, and two final items:
1. State law requires that newcomers own and drive a Subaru.
2. Every member of your family is required to own at least one The North Face garment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2015, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Washington Park, Denver
6,902 posts, read 6,492,373 times
Reputation: 7348
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Jews are 2% of Colorado's population. I think the largest concentration is in Hilltop. If you want to avoid "being the only ones", then you need to find all the synagogues and start from there. Step33 was spot on.

Regarding this point, Hilltop is the largest Jewish neighborhood, but I have found decent Jewish populations in most urban neighborhoods. Stapleton definitely has a decent Jew Crew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2015, 04:15 PM
 
27 posts, read 28,231 times
Reputation: 20
Smile being Jewish

Quote:
Originally Posted by step33 View Post
I'm on the Southwest side and a total homer for the south Green Mountain area. I'll let you search my previous posts for why that is and good options over here

The part that stuck out at me was the Jewish reference and not wanting to be the only one. I can honestly say I have NO CLUE the religion of most of my neighbors. I know a few are Catholic because I've seen them at church, and most are probably "Christian" (just because that seems to be the most popular around here). But unless you are Orthodox and need to walk to Synagogue on Saturday night, I wouldn't base my housing choice on my religion.

I just don't think people around here care that much. Even with the people that have tied the religion and politics thing together, the only time that comes up is around elections. In my daily interactions with people, it's just a non-issue. You are more likely to be "do you ski or snowboard?" long before someone will ask your religion

Thanks, but that's not my concern. It's about being the only child in class that celebrates Chanukah or the only family that doesn't go to church on Sunday or the only family that doesn't have xmas lights. I don't need or want to to be in Jewish neighborhood, but I don't want to live in a predominantly Religious Mormon or Catholic etc. Community either for the simple reason that we would definitely not agree on lifestyle or simply feel like the outcasts. Now I wouldn't mind the regular anglo neighborhood with a mix of people where most don't go to church but celebrate xmas and easter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2015, 04:17 PM
 
27 posts, read 28,231 times
Reputation: 20
Default neighborhoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Regarding this point, Hilltop is the largest Jewish neighborhood, but I have found decent Jewish populations in most urban neighborhoods. Stapleton definitely has a decent Jew Crew.

We are not looking for Jewish neighborhood. We wouldn't fit in with the orthodox or practicing Families. Stapleton was not on our radar but I'll check it out, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2015, 04:21 PM
 
27 posts, read 28,231 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Denver and Colorado are not ethnically diverse.
1. Denver's black population is 9% and falling. Greater Denver is about 4%.
2. Greater Denver's Asian population is tiny (Vietnamese, Korean).
3. Greater Denver's Hispanic population is poor (for the most part) and clustered in low-income neighborhoods. Many "Hispanics" do not even speak Español.

Unless you move to a few specific blocks in Park Hill, you are going to see Anglos and more Anglos.

Jews are 2% of Colorado's population. I think the largest concentration is in Hilltop. If you want to avoid "being the only ones", then you need to find all the synagogues and start from there. Step33 was spot on.

Oh, and two final items:
1. State law requires that newcomers own and drive a Subaru.
2. Every member of your family is required to own at least one The North Face garment.

We are from Northern Cali so got the north face gear down. Subaru....can't commit but I do drive a badass minivan. I think we will have to give up our love of diversity. I'm guessing it won't be like the bay area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2015, 04:30 PM
 
384 posts, read 406,973 times
Reputation: 685
It will not be as diverse as the Bay Area. And while I am not aware of my neighbors religion, my point was more that it's just not a high priority in my area. I GUARANTEE you'd feel comfortable on my block. If you wanted to celebrate Hanukkah, most people would be all for that. Heck, we would welcome that diversity. You'll find most people here are pretty laid back - though there are always pockets of crazy - I just tend to ignore those people (until they get elected to school board, but I digress ).

Christmas around here is mostly of the Santa kind, and people go about their "religious" stuff much more privately. Again, that's just my experience.

And welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:33 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top