U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 04:31 PM

17,087 posts, read 9,777,963 times

Advertisements

It will not be like the Bay Area, and you're much more likely to run into someone from Southern California than from Northern California, but I don't think you will feel out of place if you stay closer to Denver. I live in Cherry Creek School District, and my kids have lots of Jewish friends. You definitely would not be the only ones celebrating Chanukah if you lived near me, and nobody will raise an eyebrow if your house isn't sporting Christmas lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 04:36 PM

13,938 posts, read 20,166,947 times
Default We welcome diversity

Quote:
Originally Posted by step33 View Post
Christmas around here is mostly of the Santa kind
Oh, so I suppose that you don't recognize Frosty the Snowman as one of the Winter Solstice gods?
And, what about this guy?

Old 02-06-2015, 04:37 PM

86,865 posts, read 102,224,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFornia View Post
We are not looking for Jewish neighborhood. We wouldn't fit in with the orthodox or practicing Families. Stapleton was not on our radar but I'll check it out, thank you!
Boulder might work well for you. You'll probably have enough money from selling a house in the Bay Area to be able to afford Boulder, and I'm not being snide (for a change)! There is a synagogue in Boulder; it's liberal. Someone mentioned Broomfield. Now I happen to like Broomfield, but it's not known to be particularly liberal, and there's no synagogue there. I have no idea about the Jewish community. I do know some Jewish families in Louisville. I'd guess they go to synagogue in Boulder.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:43 PM

13,938 posts, read 20,166,947 times
Default really? in Boulder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
There is a synagogue in Boulder; it's liberal.
Congregation Aish Kodesh - Boulder, CO | Yelp
"Aish Kodesh is a very spiritual kind of shul, there is a lot of singing, philosophic discussions and the atmosphere is very relaxed. I would call it Neo-Chassidic with a hippie twist."
Who would have thunk?

Old 02-06-2015, 04:49 PM

3,940 posts, read 3,229,260 times
OP,

I think the takeaway from most of the recent posts is that while Denver (and CO in general) is not very ethnically or racially diverse, it is very diverse in ideas and opinions and tolerance people have of those with different views.

Due to that tolerance, you will see people of different faiths, political views, sexual orientations etc all evenly distributed and spread throughout various neighborhoods and areas because of that comfort level. People don't have to be clustered as they are in some communities.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:30 PM

27 posts, read 28,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by step33 View Post
It will not be as diverse as the Bay Area. And while I am not aware of my neighbors religion, my point was more that it's just not a high priority in my area. I GUARANTEE you'd feel comfortable on my block. If you wanted to celebrate Hanukkah, most people would be all for that. Heck, we would welcome that diversity. You'll find most people here are pretty laid back - though there are always pockets of crazy - I just tend to ignore those people (until they get elected to school board, but I digress ).

Christmas around here is mostly of the Santa kind, and people go about their "religious" stuff much more privately. Again, that's just my experience.

And welcome!
Sounds perfect! Thanks so much! My toddler does love Santa at the mall!

Old 02-06-2015, 05:31 PM

20,883 posts, read 11,572,498 times
Quote:
Thanks, but that's not my concern. It's about being the only child in class that celebrates Chanukah or the only family that doesn't go to church on Sunday or the only family that doesn't have xmas lights. I don't need or want to to be in Jewish neighborhood, but I don't want to live in a predominantly Religious Mormon or Catholic etc. Community either for the simple reason that we would definitely not agree on lifestyle or simply feel like the outcasts. Now I wouldn't mind the regular anglo neighborhood with a mix of people where most don't go to church but celebrate xmas and easter.
I get it because I'm Jewish. There is a huge difference between people not talking much about religion and actually practicing a minority religion. I grew up in the NYC area. Schools were closed for the major Jewish holidays because so many of the kids, and especially the teachers, were Jewish. Denver isn't quite as bad as some other places, like where a friend lives and the school consistently scheduled major activities on Yom Kippur. But it's very different for my son to be one of a handful of Jewish kids in the school vs. where I grew up and no one counted because so many families were Jewish. But having at least that handful of other kids is important.

Southeast Denver seems to have the largest percentage of Jews in Denver, with a couple of Orthodox synagogues but also Reform and Conservative. There is a King Soopers with a full Passover aisle instead of a couple of shelves. As someone else mentioned, Stapleton, which is Northeast, has a reasonable "Jew Crew" - I know several families in the area who belong to our synagogue which is in Park Hill. I'm not sure I'd pinpoint a specific Jewish neighborhood, but there is enough to feel ok here. I think there are parts of Denver where I would not say the same thing.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:32 PM

Default diversity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
OP,

I think the takeaway from most of the recent posts is that while Denver (and CO in general) is not very ethnically or racially diverse, it is very diverse in ideas and opinions and tolerance people have of those with different views.

Due to that tolerance, you will see people of different faiths, political views, sexual orientations etc all evenly distributed and spread throughout various neighborhoods and areas because of that comfort level. People don't have to be clustered as they are in some communities.

That works for me too! I'm excited!

Old 02-06-2015, 05:41 PM

695 posts, read 800,897 times
Quote:
That works for me too! I'm excited!
When you visit here, make sure your husband spends a few days driving in rush hour traffic. See if he's still excited.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I get it because I'm Jewish. There is a huge difference between people not talking much about religion and actually practicing a minority religion. I grew up in the NYC area. Schools were closed for the major Jewish holidays because so many of the kids, and especially the teachers, were Jewish. Denver isn't quite as bad as some other places, like where a friend lives and the school consistently scheduled major activities on Yom Kippur. But it's very different for my son to be one of a handful of Jewish kids in the school vs. where I grew up and no one counted because so many families were Jewish. But having at least that handful of other kids is important.

Southeast Denver seems to have the largest percentage of Jews in Denver, with a couple of Orthodox synagogues but also Reform and Conservative. There is a King Soopers with a full Passover aisle instead of a couple of shelves. As someone else mentioned, Stapleton, which is Northeast, has a reasonable "Jew Crew" - I know several families in the area who belong to our synagogue which is in Park Hill. I'm not sure I'd pinpoint a specific Jewish neighborhood, but there is enough to feel ok here. I think there are parts of Denver where I would not say the same thing.
You get it!!! we are what I call summer camp Jews; sleep away camp and JCC filled summers. I see there is a JCC that serves the south Denver area, which is why I thought Littleton would be great among other reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or