U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 03:42 PM

330 posts, read 346,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VileTat View Post
The thing about radiation is it only takes 1 little radiation particle flying through your body, to mutate the dna in one tiny cell, to ultimately lead to cancer down the road. Even x-rays at the dentist increase your risk, not to mention the TSA body scanners. Sure it is a small increase, but with such big consequences why gamble (until all forms of cancer are curable soon enough I suppose)
Your exposure to radiation from the airport security body scanner? Is less than you'll get when you're finally on that airplane and flying to your destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 05:15 PM

38 posts, read 43,017 times
If you have to fly someplace that can't be avoided, but opting in for even more just seems unnecessary. What about wearing a tinfoil hat? wait a minute...

Old 02-14-2015, 05:59 PM

695 posts, read 802,002 times
Quote:
The thing about radiation is it only takes 1 little radiation particle flying through your body, to mutate the dna in one tiny cell, to ultimately lead to cancer down the road. Even x-rays at the dentist increase your risk, not to mention the TSA body scanners. Sure it is a small increase, but with such big consequences why gamble (until all forms of cancer are curable soon enough I suppose)
WONDERFUL NEWS:

1). No more X-Rays at the dentist. After all, people from Oklahoma and other southern states never go the dentist. Now I know why they live longer.

2). No more airline flights. I'll travel by Greyhound bus and feel like I'm a character in a Tom Waits song. I'll save money by not parking at the airport and no stress from having to deal with idiot TSA guards.

3). I'll refuse to walk through the X-Ray machine at the courthouse.

4). And the best of all, the next time the cops testify my client's DNA was at the crime scene and all over the victim's body, I'll blame it on radiation.

Last edited by JohnnyDenver; 02-14-2015 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 02-14-2015, 06:57 PM

I'm just saying if you have an option of a pat-down vs x-ray, you are statistically less likely to get cancer if you go with the pat-downs. Some things can't be avoided, but when you have the chance, why not? The trillions of cells floating around inside of me right now probably would thank me for playing russian roulette with their DNA as infrequently as possible. ;-)

The machines at airports are not even certified by the FDA, since they have no medical use. I could easily see them being miscalibrated or operated by incompetent staff.

Personally my dentists have always been happy to x-ray me as much as insurance allows, but when it comes to actually finding cavities it hasn't helped find one once. The usual cleaning process is what seems to find any. Only seems really prudent when getting a filling or something more serious done. But that's just me. A bit silly but it's kind of the same mentality as trying to win a $1 poker tournament online against tens of thousands of other people, if you want to make it to the final table, play conservatively.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:20 AM

918 posts, read 983,858 times
Quote:
Then why live in Colorado at all? You're being bombarded with a ton more background radiation here than at a lower elevation. Not to mention that higher background radiation due to the geological composition.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:17 AM

330 posts, read 346,615 times
^^ Excellent point. To really avoid unnecessary exposures, you need to move to sea level ASAP, don't ever take another airplane flight - no matter how much you'll miss those by-request TSA pat-downs - and keep on avoiding those dental x-rays.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:27 AM

13,949 posts, read 20,201,871 times
Default I'm thinking...underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzatlarge View Post
To really avoid unnecessary exposures, you need to move to sea level
Not safe enough.
Need to move to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SubTropolis

Old 02-17-2015, 07:44 PM

Maybe some classes from the School of Mines would be in order, and I could try some live action Dwarf Fortress on a small parcel of mountain Or maybe with enough Yoga I could generate my own magnetic field to deflect these things..

But seriously some things can't be avoided, good to know radon levels in the low 3s is the Denver norm and 4 is the EPA recommended limit.

Do consider though, since cancer can take so long to develop and can't be traced back to the moment that first it, we can't know how many people end up dying from cancer originally caused by x-rays or bodyscanners or radon -- but that number is not certainly not 0, and you only have to get unlucky once. Certainly not saying never fly anywhere, and of course get an x-ray if you actually are having tooth pain or get a cavity etc.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:17 PM

77 posts, read 95,993 times
Airport soft x-ray scanners have been phased out. Those machines you walk through now use terahertz sources, which are non-ionizing.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:53 PM

Nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver