U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 11:56 AM

86,871 posts, read 102,258,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by step33 View Post
Based on OP, I would think a look around Golden might be in order.
Based on OP, I think central Denver. She thinks Louisville is isolated. She'll think Golden is isolated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliern View Post
After reading what is important to you, my suggestion would be to look into Evergreen. It sits in the foothills about 30 minutes from Union Station. Your husband can drive a short distance to the light rail in Golden and commute in that way (or just drive all the way). The schools are very highly rated and it has a small town feel with all of your everyday amenities.

Your rental and purchase budgets are both very healthy for this area.

As a mom to 3 boys who is a native of NYC, I know what it's like to move 2000 miles away from everything you know. Feel free to send me a direct message if you want help with a rental property or to just chat.
My God, the OP thinks LOUISVILLE is isolated. It doesn't help that you recommend Evergreen for just about everyone, including people who want minimal amounts of snow, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 12:05 PM

384 posts, read 406,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Based on OP, I think central Denver. She thinks Louisville is isolated. She'll think Golden is isolated.
Just providing options, the OP did say THIS:

We have 3 elementary aged kids, so are looking for great schools, a nice, welcoming community, laid-back people, and an easy commute to the city.....Is there somewhere different with an actual town that may fit our requirements?

I'd say Golden is certainly an "actual town" that may (or may not) fit their requirements. I also think parts of the city will be great for them.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:36 PM

86,871 posts, read 102,258,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by step33 View Post
Just providing options, the OP did say THIS:

We have 3 elementary aged kids, so are looking for great schools, a nice, welcoming community, laid-back people, and an easy commute to the city.....Is there somewhere different with an actual town that may fit our requirements?

I'd say Golden is certainly an "actual town" that may (or may not) fit their requirements. I also think parts of the city will be great for them.
Louisville is also an "actual town". The commute to "the city" (not a term we usually use here) is ~45min. in a car, depending on where you are going. It's along a totally developed stretch of US 36. Yet the OP thinks it is isolated. Golden is a *little* closer to the city, again, depending on where you are going.

But you have a point. The OP should see these places for herself.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:22 AM

6 posts, read 7,307 times
Thanks again for the information. We have explored Louisville already, and plan to visit Golden on our next trip. Evergreen is not really on the table for us. I agree that part of finding the right place will also be adjusting my expectations to appreciate all of the great things Denver has to offer - and realizing that it will be a very different way of life from New York.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:35 AM

397 posts, read 588,355 times
Golden is in a great location, but lacks appeal.

1. Schools are "eh"
2. There are hills of browned-out nothingness to look at 10 months out of the year. No real views unless you are at the top of Lookout Mountain facing the Continental Divide.
3. College kids
4. Lots of tourists
5. Large, ugly Coors Factory buildings to look at...although the actual tour is great and they serve beer samples at the end.
6. Prison located in Golden
7. Traffic and congestion along Hwy. 93 is very close to most of the subdivisions in Golden...road noise

Great place to bring friends and relatives to visit for the day, but not ideal to raise a family.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:52 AM

6,902 posts, read 6,489,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC fAMILY View Post
Thanks so much to everyone for the information and helpful comments.

We have considered Hilltop and Washington Park, but would like to avoid the cost of private school at least for a few more years (I would like to send the kids in middle school or high school if possible). If we could swing it, I would do it in a second, but with 3 kids private school would be a huge expenditure. But I think we will at least explore the areas further.

Evergreen seems way too far away and isolated. We are considering Golden, but need to research more about the schools and the commute. We'd really like to keep it to 30-40 minutes and have heard so much about the horrendous Denver traffic during commute times.

Any thoughts about renting? I did get some info that there are no real rental brokers and it is all DIY and Craig's List, Zillow, and pad mapper (all of which I am exploring). Any suggestions? It has been very hard to locate rentals and we really just want to get out to Denver and buy once we are more familiar with the areas.

Also - many thanks to the attorney who wrote about the Denver Bar. Taking the MPRE now, many years after law school, sounds horrible . . .

I would send direct messages for info to some of these posters, but cannot figure out how to do that! I will work on that.

Thank you again.
Elementary school (Steele) in Wash Park is outstanding. Middle school is where the options are a little more muddled, but Denver School of Science and Technology, (DSST) which is a Denver Public School and is very highly rated at their other location, is opening in the neighborhood. There are tons of kids in this neighborhood and most of us are sending them to public school.

You said you are a city girl, you will be so much happier in the city neighborhoods. The realtor suggesting Evergreen seems insane to me given what you described.

Don't let the schools scare you off. Come visit. There is a reason this is one of the two or three most desirable neighborhoods in the city.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 02-12-2015 at 09:10 AM..

Old 02-12-2015, 09:07 AM

20,929 posts, read 11,597,223 times
I think that there are always going to be some issues in a city school district. But overall, I've been happy with our experience in DPS, and I've also seen my nieces go through DPS. I think that there are many very good choices for elementary schools in DPS, and some good options for middle and high school, although not as many.

And there are some advantages in being in a larger city district, such as the Denver Shakespeare Festival. 5000 DPS kids get to participate and it's a wonderful experience for them. You don't get something on that scale in a smaller district.

https://www.facebook.com/ShakespeareDPS

You also get programs like DSST, which has an amazing track record. Can't speak from personal experience on that one, but hopefully soon, as we are waiting to hear the results of the School Choice process.

I definitely think that for those who prefer a more urban experience (although overall, Denver neighborhoods are more suburban than not), there are enough good options that the schools are not an issue.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:22 AM

384 posts, read 406,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliern View Post
Golden is in a great location, but lacks appeal.

1. Schools are "eh"
2. There are hills of browned-out nothingness to look at 10 months out of the year. No real views unless you are at the top of Lookout Mountain facing the Continental Divide.
3. College kids
4. Lots of tourists
5. Large, ugly Coors Factory buildings to look at...although the actual tour is great and they serve beer samples at the end.
6. Prison located in Golden
7. Traffic and congestion along Hwy. 93 is very close to most of the subdivisions in Golden...road noise

Great place to bring friends and relatives to visit for the day, but not ideal to raise a family.
Hmm, not sure I'd agree with any of that

And the area around the college is an appeal to me. There are also lots of places with nice homes that are NOT on 93. My recommendation is more central Golden - and no the Coors brewery doesn't bother me in the slightest. And the prison doesn't bother me either.

But, heck, I'm trying to get my kids in to a school right across the street from the Englewood Federal Pen (also not really near Englewood ).

Old 02-12-2015, 10:34 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,810,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
I am also a member of the NY bar. If you are not yet a member of the CO Bar, I suggest you start your paperwork to be admitted on waiver ASAP. It takes about 5 - 6 months to be admitted on motion. You are also required to take the MPRE portion of the bar. That exam is more difficult (at least it was to me) than it was when I sat for the test in law school.
Plus the CO Bar is making it tougher and tougher to transfer. I'm sure you can meet the requirements because NY's test is so tough, but they are adding obstacles and delays every year here in CO.

My wife is an attorney, so I did a little research on jobs before we moved. The Big Firm jobs are all downtown. The big company inhouse jobs are mainly downtown, Denver Tech Center, and Interlocken/Broomfield. There are plenty of jobs in smaller offices spread around town.

My suggestion would be:

Congress Park area- Focus on Bromwell and maybe Teller Elementary.
South of U of Denver- Slavens k-8. Not a lot of architecture, but great location.
DTC- This is Cherry Creek school district. Not an exciting place, but very safe, train to downtown, excellent schools,....
Louisville- This is only if your husband enjoys commuting. Great area though.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:33 PM

695 posts, read 801,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Plus the CO Bar is making it tougher and tougher to transfer. I'm sure you can meet the requirements because NY's test is so tough, but they are adding obstacles and delays every year here in CO.

My wife is an attorney, so I did a little research on jobs before we moved. The Big Firm jobs are all downtown. The big company inhouse jobs are mainly downtown, Denver Tech Center, and Interlocken/Broomfield. There are plenty of jobs in smaller offices spread around town. .
It doesn't matter how "tough" a state's bar exam is. The issue is the granting of reciprocity between the states. California has one of the "toughest" bar exams in the country, yet, Colorado does not allow California attorneys to waive in.

Personally, I did not think the NY bar was that difficult. I put in the time studying and passed the first time. A bar exam (no matter what state) is to be respected, but not feared.

As to admission on waiver in Colorado, they have lessened the requirement, not made it more difficult to transfer. It used to be 5 years in another state. It is now only 3 years.

As to "plenty of jobs" around town, I'm not sure where you're getting your information. I know many attorneys who are looking for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or