Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 11:33 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
DPL (main branch downtown) is excellent. You can also buy a library card for the University of Denver Library.

I also frequent the Tattered Cover Bookstore.

Tattered Cover is a gem, a treasure. I once left there with a whole shopping bag full of books. Main location is in Lodo. Visit, and plan to spend the day...yes, they've coffee and food for us book hounds.

Regular users of libraries know of "inter-library loan" where numerous major libraries around the nation will mail a book to your local library for your use. It's a free service and one I've used before to get an obscure financial text from an eastern seminary. Amazing stuff out there in America's library system, I wish more folks used it.

FWIW we also have a great library system here in COLO SPGS, the Pikes Peak Library District with much to offer, especially their brand new Library 21C which even has 3D printing.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 11:49 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I see you've already gotten great responses. Our Westminster Public Library is also fantastic. Nice physical environment, helpful staff, good selection, and electronic access. I see a high usage by kids so the programs and facilities for them are probably pretty good also. But I think that is the norm for the entire area.
I agree, the Westminster library is great.

If you're ever up north, the Boulder Library, (main branch) is worth just walking through... how many libraries have a sky bridge over a creek, through a cafe?

Old 02-15-2015, 12:36 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
If you're ever up north, the Boulder Library, (main branch) is worth just walking through... how many libraries have a sky bridge over a creek, through a cafe?
I agree. That is a gorgeous library.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:15 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,135,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I agree. That is a gorgeous library.
FYI, the Boulder Library is going to be even better - it's undergoing renovation: news.boulderlibrary.org

Quote:
The Main Library’s Arapahoe entrance has re-opened, marking the end of Phase IV of the renovation. All spaces and collections are available, including Adult Fiction, DVDs, music CDs, audiobooks on CD and the large-print collection. Circulation functions–including check-out and hold pick-ups–have moved back to the south side on the first floor, their permanent home.

The construction of the new Seeds Cafe space on the bridge (Phase V of the project) will begin on Friday, Feb. 13 and extend into early April, when the cafe is expected to open. The bridge will be closed to patrons during this time.

In mid and late February, new flooring and carpeting will be installed in the north building. There will be some dates when the north entrance is closed due to this work. As soon as dates for this closure are confirmed, they will be posted on this site.

The cafe and the Library Bookshop will open in early April. Mark your calendars for the Main Event, a celebration of the renovation on Saturday, April 11, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Stay tuned for more details. . .

Old 02-15-2015, 02:50 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
FYI, the Boulder Library is going to be even better - it's undergoing renovation: news.boulderlibrary.org
So great. I love that place.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:49 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzatlarge View Post
Yes, Denver Public Library is a strong and AFAIK well-respected public library system. It's part of the City and County of Denver (not a separate authority) so its budgets will rise and fall with the City's general fund. After some lean years, the library made a comeback in 2013.

A new branch library - the Corky Gonzales Library - opens at the end of the month. It's the third new branch in recent years, joining the Green Valley Ranch library (2011), and the Sam Gary branch (2012). I believe all three were part of an infrastructure bond program approved by the voters.

About 5 years ago, when DPL was feeling the budget pinch and I was noticing fewer new items available to check out (usually fewer copies in the collection --> longer hold lists), I investigated local library systems. I learned that it's legal for a Denver resident to get library cards in some suburban districts - IIRC you have to be a Colorado resident under their policies, which of course includes Denver. So I did. I don't use them much, but will for things that I really want and DPL doesn't have.

I hold cards for the Arapahoe [County] Library District, Douglas County public libraries, and Jefferson County library system. Also, my DPL card gives me access to the Englewood [city] Library, although I usually go there to donate books, not check them out.

I live in the SE Denver area so haven't looked into libraries adjoining us to the North, but I think that up in Adams County the Rangeview libraries are doing interesting things.

I hope that after you've been here awhile you'll let us know how you've fared with the local library system(s). I hope you'll find our libraries at least "decent" - if not up to the standards you've been used to in Philadelphia.
They've also been able to restore hours - they had to cut back those too. Now the busier branches are open 7 days a week again, which is really nice. I check out a lot of things electronically but esp. for my book club, sometimes it's quicker to get a physical copy and it's convenient to have a lot of availability to get in there to pick things up, and look at the new releases, etc.

I never even got around to getting a card for any of the surrounding areas because it was just as easy to access things through interlibrary loans. I've even gotten books from other countries a couple of times, when there was something very specific I needed.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:04 PM

Having cards for multiple library districts can come in handy for borrowing e-books and other types of digital media using Zinio and Hoopla. If you're wait listed at one library, sometimes the materials are available immediately at another. For whatever reason, I have the best luck with downloads using the Denver library.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:23 PM

22 posts, read 24,722 times
You should see people's faces when I say I go to the library regularly. Very similar to the face I make when they call it a libary! I swear the majority of people in my local branch are only there for the free wifi. It's nice to see people as passionate as I am about access to books :-) I'm excited to check out all of these places!

Old 02-15-2015, 06:40 PM

They don't know what they're missing!

Old 02-15-2015, 09:22 PM

664 posts, read 2,066,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Having cards for multiple library districts can come in handy for borrowing e-books and other types of digital media using Zinio and Hoopla. If you're wait listed at one library, sometimes the materials are available immediately at another. For whatever reason, I have the best luck with downloads using the Denver library.
That is great advice. If I want a popular e-book, I'll put in on hold with all of the area districts and see who gets it first.

That's the best reason to have cards with multiple area districts. Most of the larger ones are members of the Prospector Coalliance so you can access their unified catalogs and have it delivered to your local branch as though it was a regular hold. This is MUCH more flexible than Inter-Library Loan and great for many items but there are still some older items that ILL is needed for. And this won't work for e-books! So that's why I have cards from most area districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver