Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 11:31 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,867 times

Advertisements

When we were leaving the Western Stock Show a couple of weeks ago, they were everywhere, stopping cars on the side streets. They looked like meth users.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 12:44 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
When we were leaving the Western Stock Show a couple of weeks ago, they were everywhere, stopping cars on the side streets. They looked like meth users.
Because some of them were.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:00 PM

694 posts, read 1,039,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallV84 View Post
Southern CA seemed the worst to me, by far.
Many of those have already moved here and just re-located their business operations to Denver.

I was in Denver General Sessions Court last week and one person was charged with trespassing for panhandling at I-25 and Hampden. I was talking with the attorney handling the case and he related that the city has now put up a "no trespassing" sign at that location.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:28 PM

16 posts, read 28,045 times
I frequently have to correct people who refer to a panhandler as "homeless guy" or "homeless woman". You know that they're panhandling, but you don't know that they're homeless. I know of two panhandlers who have cultivated a grimy homeless-like look, but who actually live at the apartment complex at Monaco & Iliff (each in their own apartment).

When you see a panhandler on one corner and someone spinning a "Liberty Tax Services" sign on the other corner, you can be sure which of them is making more money.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:38 PM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Denver is the only big city for 500 miles in any direction, that's bound to have some effect...not only is it a big magnet, it's the only magnet of its size in the region. We have them here in COLO SPGS too, mostly in the downtown area where services are available for them from the Marion House and other charities.
Live in the Springs area, last time a guy asked me for a dollar outside of a burger king; said he was hungry, had a cool bike and a toothpick hanging out of his mouth, thought that was lame. Since I had just thrown some change away on the lotto, gave him a dollar. He was eyeing my purse; was he going to grab my purse and peddle off?? Seemed that way.

Used to be a lady in downtown Denver that hung out by McDonalds, just off the 16th st mall (and Champa.) Rumors were she made a pretty good living, she was older, dressed plainly; but clean. Weird. Guess she laughed all the way to the bank.

Sorry to hear about the 16th st Mall; used to be a gem.

Last edited by mollygee; 02-17-2015 at 04:34 PM..

Old 02-17-2015, 04:03 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svarog View Post
I frequently have to correct people who refer to a panhandler as "homeless guy" or "homeless woman". You know that they're panhandling, but you don't know that they're homeless. I know of two panhandlers who have cultivated a grimy homeless-like look, but who actually live at the apartment complex at Monaco & Iliff (each in their own apartment).

When you see a panhandler on one corner and someone spinning a "Liberty Tax Services" sign on the other corner, you can be sure which of them is making more money.
Good point. Beggars are definitely not guaranteed to be homeless. Homeless people are not necessarily beggars, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post

Sorry to hear about the 16th st Mall; used to be a gem.
Wonder if Denver has a way to ban inappropriately dressed and smelly people from the 16th St Mall.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:44 PM

450 posts, read 507,675 times
I once saw a woman sitting outside a grocery store with a sign that said she was hungry and needed help. I walked past her and went in to do my shopping. On my way out, I offered her a bunch of bananas I had purchased for her. She refused, and would not accept them. She said that she needed money, not food. She totally ticked me off. I pointed out that her sign said she was hungry. I offered her good, healthy food and she turned it down. "Sorry lady... it takes money to buy food. Food given freely to you cost someone money". Figure it out.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:06 PM

415 posts, read 607,063 times
I was harassed my last visit to Denver. I made the mistake of smiling at a bum. He then goes on to tell me how beautiful I am blah blah and this long rehearsed story about needing money for a bus. I told him that I don't give money to grown men. He continues with his sob story. I finally snapped and cursed him out, I'm from New Orleans act like the meaner dog and they move on. It sucked though because he wans't he only one that bothered me while I was there. It's worse than most places I've been but luckily its mostly in the downtown area. So I stayed in Cherry Creek every time since.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:50 PM

38 posts, read 55,568 times
An increasing number of studies are finding that buying housing for homeless folks is cheaper on society than making them sleep in the streets and ultimately going to the emergency room etc. I bet few would have a problem with a law banning all panhandling if the city rented out some of the new tiny micro apartments for those truly in need.

Different city and situation but for an interesting perspective on the homeless, the movie Dark Days is quite interesting.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:52 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWEvergreen View Post
I once saw a woman sitting outside a grocery store with a sign that said she was hungry and needed help. I walked past her and went in to do my shopping. On my way out, I offered her a bunch of bananas I had purchased for her. She refused, and would not accept them. She said that she needed money, not food. She totally ticked me off. I pointed out that her sign said she was hungry. I offered her good, healthy food and she turned it down. "Sorry lady... it takes money to buy food. Food given freely to you cost someone money". Figure it out.
Can't argue with that

Giving food is totally what I would do as well, mostly to reveal the irony and hypocrisy of the beggar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver