U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 10:38 PM

451 posts, read 379,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Just practise it on an icy empty lot.
That is very good advise. That's what I did when I taught my eldest child to drive. I found a very large and completely empty parking lot, put her behind the wheel and asked her drive forward and then in reverse in a straight line (repeat, repeat, repeat). Then we graduated to slow casual turns etc. Before ya know it she was doing doughnuts in complete control!

I've driven in snow for years but I still tend to stay in the right lane and I rarely go as fast as the posted speed limit if there is snow or ice. If it's posted 70 on the highway, I might do 55-60. If it's posted 30 on a curvy and steep mountain road... maybe 20-25 at best. Just leave your house early and let the fools take the left lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 03:16 AM

992 posts, read 611,240 times
Denver or Colorado needs to have an ordinance or law mandating that drivers have winter tires during winter months, or risk being fined or being ruled at fault in an accident, even if they weren't at fault at all, or all parties at fault if there's no winter tires on either sides.

Invest in more mass transit so people who can't afford winter tires use mass transit instead of driving around with summer/all season or balding tires during winter, and to give drivers confidence in the snow instead of having a bunch of nervous drivers inexperienced with snow and ill equipped by having summer or all season tires and causing the whole Denver metro to become gridlocked everytime it starts snowing. Plus the reduction in preventable car accidents that would've been avoided had the car's driver equipped their vehicle with snow tires.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:01 AM

6,285 posts, read 1,230,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west_2_east View Post
Hi all,

I'm originally from a non-snowy/icy west coast city and as such am not good at driving in the snow. Whenever it snowed out here, I would just use mass transit because it freaks me out. I was considering Denver because it seems like a good fit, but if you aren't comfortable driving in ice, is it a bad idea/deal breaker? My job will require a fair amount of travel by car all over the place, and I'm looking to live a little bit longer than 25 years, so avoiding car accidents aren't really an option for me.

Has anyone else been able to handle living in Denver without being good at driving in winter conditions?
If you are uncomfortable driving on ice or in winter conditions, then I would NOT recommend Denver. Even though Denver never becomes terribly icy or even icy very often -- I spent four years in Maine, so I am using that as a comparison! -- CDOT does a VERY inconsistent job of keeping the roads clear during and immediately after storms, so It is definitely not something you can rely on. (In Maine, the next day after even the worst storms, I could still make a 45-mile commute with no problem, although black ice was a problem there, which we don't have in Colorado.) Also, because winter here is usually "snow-melt-warm period-snow-melt", every time it snows or even rains, so many people here behave as though they have never encountered any kind of precipitation before, it makes for a very slow, frustrating, and dangerous drive.

So, in short, if you can handle all the above, fine, but personally, I would advise against it based on what you wrote.

P.S. However, to be fair, I first came to Colorado in 1986 after 20 years of living in Southern California, and back then, when I was in my early 30's, I did not have that much of a problem; however, I was a good driver, as all California drivers MUST be! Now, though, I am a senior citizen, so I am naturally more cautious -- and that almost definitely influenced my answer to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or