U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 03:03 PM

9 posts, read 12,933 times

Advertisements

Greetings all!

My wife and I are in our early 50's and are looking to move to the Denver area. We currently live in a 4500 sq. ft. home and are looking to downsize (3 bedrooms would be perfect for us). Our daughter and her family (hubby and 2 young grandkids) live in Parker and being closer to them is a big part of moving to Colorado.

We really like Parker but we don't want to move THAT close. 30-45 mins away is plenty close -- we don't want to be helicopter grandparents. For what its worth, I'll be working from a home office and in other cities so commuting isn't an issue. Cost wise, we'd like to be in the $350-$400 range.

Are there other areas that are as nice as Parker but not quite so close?

All suggestions welcome!

(Obligatory proud grampa photo included)
Attached Thumbnails
Minneapolis to Parker move ... well, not EXACTLY.-fellas.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 04:31 PM

20,840 posts, read 11,550,236 times
Your grandkids are absolutely adorable!

As for location, I'm curious if you have talked to your daughter at all? And also curious about what "helicopter grandparent" means to you, and what you would see as your ideal role in her/their lives if you moved here.

I'm speaking from the perspective as the mom of a young kid who moved to Denver to be closer to my own parents who were already living here. I chose to live close by, because they agreed to provide back up care for my son. Not regular childcare, but if I needed to work late, they could pick him up, or keep him for a day if daycare/school was closed and work wasn't. Or in my specific case, because I'm a single parent, it meant they could also do things like pick up some tylenol or groceries and drop it off if my son was sick and I didn't want to take him out to run an errand.

Now, if you don't envision that kind of relationship, that's another story and of course there's nothing unusual about different families having different dynamics. But if the idea is that you want to be more hands on and get to participate in some of the day to day things, like going to soccer practice, school/daycare events, random weeknight dinners, you might want to live a little closer - and that might be perfectly ok with your daughter and her husband.

Not to speak for them, but it's not out of the question that they would be happy having you more in the 15 minute range. That could still be a different town, you'd be frequenting different places and not bumping into each other at the supermarket or anything, but close enough to be more involved, like popping in for an hour here or there, which wouldn't really be the case if it meant an hour and a half round trip to do so.

ETA: when I say "popping in" I don't mean unscheduled drop ins. I mean things like coming to watch soccer practice or the game for an hour and then going on your way. My son and I really appreciated that kind of casual but regular contact.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:32 PM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 11 days ago)

10,877 posts, read 29,283,722 times
Active Adult Community? Golf important? Do you need access to the airport? Hobbies, besides grandkids?

Old 02-18-2015, 04:37 PM

9 posts, read 12,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Active Adult Community? Golf important? Do you need access to the airport? Hobbies, besides grandkids?
Golf no, Access to airport YES, "Adult active community" ... probably not.

Regarding the helicopter thing, our family is one that likes its space. Close enough to come by and get/share/love but enough space. (Full disclosure: The in-laws on the other side of the family are a constant imposition -- showing up unannounced, etc. My daughter is excited that we'd move to Colorado but we're playing it carefully.)

Old 02-18-2015, 04:42 PM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 11 days ago)

10,877 posts, read 29,283,722 times
New house? Townhouse? Little yard? South Aurora, Lone Tree, Highlands Ranch...close but not the same.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:31 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,479,486 times
Photo is darling!

You definitely want to stay on the same side of town and preferably local road access (not expressway access) to your grandkids. The traffic here is really getting ugly. In your senior years you will want a nice relaxing drive out to visit them. Not a white knuckled, death defying experience which is what you will get living on the other side of town.

I think you also want to be closer to Denver for health care in your Sr. years. The south side of Aurora fits your needs perfectly.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:20 PM

245 posts, read 250,296 times
Perhaps near downtown Arvada or downtown Littleton? Arvada could be closer to an hour depending on the traffic. But both have better downtown areas than Parker. Maybe if you could provide a little more details on what you like in a community...cute grandkids BTW.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:27 PM

13,933 posts, read 20,147,657 times
Wheat Ridge.
I cannot believe how impressed I am with WR now that I live closer to it.

P.S.
50s and not 50's

Old 02-19-2015, 08:26 AM

330 posts, read 345,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Photo is darling!

You definitely want to stay on the same side of town and preferably local road access (not expressway access) to your grandkids. The traffic here is really getting ugly. In your senior years you will want a nice relaxing drive out to visit them. Not a white knuckled, death defying experience which is what you will get living on the other side of town.

I think you also want to be closer to Denver for health care in your Sr. years. The south side of Aurora fits your needs perfectly.
Wise words! I'm sure Wheat Ridge and Arvada are nice, based on my many years of living near them, in NW Denver. Now I'm in SE Denver, with relatives living in Parker. It's a long enough drive from here, and I'm just a fairly short hop from Parker Road. It would be a loonng haul from WR or Arvada. Maybe not too bad at 10PM or 5:00 AM, or on Sundays. But otherwise, yes, I agree, traffic is ugly.

I posted sometime last year, about a friend of mine who grew up here in the 50's and 60's. She used to drive us nuts because she'd linger over our pre-theater dinner - actually getting a little irritated when we'd all insist, no second cup of coffee, time to leave - and we'd end up hustling to get to DCPA and parked, in time for the show. Finally I realized that her sense of timing was still set at the old Denver when we probably could have driven the distance to DCPA and parked, etc., in much less time than it takes now. (She never lived far from her downtown office, and so hadn't dealt with much Denver commuting over the years.) So whenever we were planning things, I'd mention that now "we" have to take "our" initial estimate of travel time through Denver for anything, and double it. She got it, thank dog.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:49 AM

9,349 posts, read 5,521,963 times
Cute kids!

Parker is a great place to live (I may be biased )

I'd definitely suggest staying on the southside of town if you want a similar feel to Parker. Maybe check out Highlands Ranch, Castle Rock, and maybe Lone Tree. All nice areas, no more than 15 minutes from Parker. Close...but not too close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or