U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 11:20 AM

15 posts, read 16,442 times

Advertisements

Denver, or San diego maybe like OB, Everyone says CA is hella pricey but I've found some cheap places by various beaches... I love live music- Grateful Dead, Phish, String Cheese, Greensky Bluegrass etc. and a small bit of electronic music mainly Pretty Lights, and most other hippyish stuff. Im 23 and will have a BS in May before I move out west so I will be looking for a job. Something in tech/digital media/marketing.. Any recommendations on Denver or SD like job market, the people/metting people, music scene, and general Pros and Cons would be nice. I want to be able to meet a lot of people also around my age (23/ recent college grad). Also anyone go from living beach life to mountain life? I like the water and warm weather and beaches a lot, and feel like moving to Denver I will not get to experience as much of the snowboarding and mountain life because Denver is a couple hours to the resorts... Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!

My budget:

-hoping to land a job that will pay 30-50k yearly and looking to spend 800-1300$ for rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 12:09 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,496,831 times
The good:

The Jam band scene here is better than it is in San Diego. Red Rocks is unequaled. It's Widespread Panic's second home. We get 3 WSP shows at Red Rocks every summer plus a fall or winter run. Phish does 3 nights at Dick's Sporting Goods Park every Labor Day which is a surprisingly good music venue. Our smaller theaters get a lot of great acts all winter. We just had 3 moe. shows (1 in Boulder and 2 in Denver). Joe Russo's Almost Dead just did a couple nights. Gov't Mule will be here with John Scofield in a few weeks. This is where String Cheese, Leftover Salmon, and Yonder Mountain String Band all come from. Pretty Lights is from here too.

You could get a 1 bedroom in Capitol Hill for $1300.

Denver is a very young city so meeting people shouldn't be too difficult especially a jam band shows.

The bad:

There is no water and it gets cold.

If you are working a 9-5 M-F and want to be going to the mountains on the weekends, weekend traffic to the mountains can be atrocious.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 02-19-2015 at 12:20 PM..

Old 02-19-2015, 12:41 PM

695 posts, read 801,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monaghanbj View Post
I love live music- Grateful Dead, Phish, String Cheese, Greensky Bluegrass etc. and a small bit of electronic music mainly Pretty Lights, and most other hippyish stuff. I like the water and warm weather and beaches a lot, and feel like moving to Denver I will not get to experience as much of the snowboarding and mountain life because Denver is a couple hours to the resorts... Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!

My budget:

-hoping to land a job that will pay 30-50k yearly and looking to spend 800-1300$ for rent.
My contact at AEG just gave me the list of upcoming shows not yet released. Look good, especially a show this Fall with The Tragically Hip.

Sounds like you have an attraction to the ocean and all things warm weather and the beach community. If you truly desire that, you will kick yourself in the ass moving here. I know many people from both coasts who missed the ocean and beach scene so much, they returned.

Denver is a couple of hours to the resorts and traffic coming back from this mountains this past holiday weekend was disgraceful . . . further, with a salary of 30 - 50K, your entertainment budget will be limited . . . especially lift tickets, concert tickets, et al.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:48 PM

13,949 posts, read 20,196,196 times
San Diego.
You can always upgrade to Denver later.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:52 PM

12,250 posts, read 8,036,209 times
You need to be in San Diego. I grew up there and you are the perfect age to be living in either PB, MB or OB. I lived in PB for a few years before moving to Colorado. Don't expect to live alone. Roommates are a must on the budget you provided especially if you are planning on living in the beach areas. Good luck!

Old 02-19-2015, 01:03 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,496,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
My contact at AEG just gave me the list of upcoming shows not yet released. Look good, especially a show this Fall with The Tragically Hip.

Sounds like you have an attraction to the ocean and all things warm weather and the beach community. If you truly desire that, you will kick yourself in the ass moving here. I know many people from both coasts who missed the ocean and beach scene so much, they returned.

Denver is a couple of hours to the resorts and traffic coming back from this mountains this past holiday weekend was disgraceful . . . further, with a salary of 30 - 50K, your entertainment budget will be limited . . . especially lift tickets, concert tickets, et al.
People complain on here about how expensive skiing is, but for anyone who goes a fair amount, it is extraordinarily cheap. Season pass at Loveland is around $350. They are open from late October until late May. If you only went twice a month, you are paying $25 a ticket. Even if you are doing the Vail Resorts pass, and ski that many days it brings your daily ticket down to $39. When it gets expensive is if you go up and buy a single day pass. Those are best left for suckers and tourists.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
People complain on here about how expensive skiing is, but for anyone who goes a fair amount, it is extraordinarily cheap. Season pass at Loveland is around $350. They are open from late October until late May. If you only went twice a month, you are paying $25 a ticket. Even if you are doing the Vail Resorts pass, and ski that many days it brings your daily ticket down to $39. When it gets expensive is if you go up and buy a single day pass. Those are best left for suckers and tourists.
I agree. It is cheap if you buy the passes and use them. I even know people that come in from out of town that buy the passes because it is actually cheaper than buying a day pass on per day basis while they are here.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:56 AM

130 posts, read 130,709 times
From your self-description, it sounds like Ocean Beach is perfect for you. Unless you are a ski fanatic, then at your age, San Diego is the place to be. You probably won't want to stay there when you reach the stage in your life when you want to buy a house, but right now, go straight there and don't look back!

Old 02-23-2015, 12:05 PM

15 posts, read 16,442 times
wow I really appreciate all of this awesome feedback! I m so torn on where to go its ridiculous! Is there still a good music scene in SD? Where would you all recommend looking to live around SD?

The biggest draw to Denver to me is that it seems like A LOT of young professionals live there which makes making like-minded friends a lot easier. Also I like that dDenver has a lot of jobs, great music, and breweries! It sounds like there is always something to do.

SD sounds like its beautiful but might not have as big of a live music scene and people my age to meet... its such a tough decision!!

Old 02-23-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaghanbj View Post
wow I really appreciate all of this awesome feedback! I m so torn on where to go its ridiculous! Is there still a good music scene in SD? Where would you all recommend looking to live around SD?

The biggest draw to Denver to me is that it seems like A LOT of young professionals live there which makes making like-minded friends a lot easier. Also I like that dDenver has a lot of jobs, great music, and breweries! It sounds like there is always something to do.

SD sounds like its beautiful but might not have as big of a live music scene and people my age to meet... its such a tough decision!!
I am not sure how the music scene is these days in San Diego. I used to go to the Casbah a lot downtown and the Belly Up in Solana Beach but that is before 1999. As for breweries San Diego ranks up there with Denver these days. Stone Brewery is awesome.

If you want to live somewhere close to the beach live in either Pacific Beach, Mission Beach or Ocean Beach and be prepared to have roommates.

You still can't go wrong with Denver. There is so much to do here for people of all ages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or