U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 08:16 AM

12,252 posts, read 8,038,289 times

Advertisements

It reminds me why I moved here in 1999 from San Diego. I knew I couldn't afford a home there even with a decent salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 08:42 AM

13,675 posts, read 13,493,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
It was quite affordable for us in the mid 90s. At that time, we rented a nice 2 bdr. apt. in central Orange County for $700 a month. Then in 1998, rents started going crazy, like they are in Denver now. So we bought a 2 bdr. 2 bath condo for $120K. At the time, that seemed like a lot of money, but we sold it for a little over $400K in 2005. For us, it was all in the timing. I think that same apartment we rented in OC today goes for arounc $1400 a month. but rents there did stabalize after about 4 years of crazy increases.
I only bought 2 years ago in Edgewater, and I could probably make a tidy profit on the place if I had to.

But I never want to move again - I'm hoping this is the place I stay in until they wheel me out feet first. Unless I came into a ton of money and could afford an amazing upgrade, of course, lol.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:53 AM

695 posts, read 802,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I only bought 2 years ago in Edgewater, and I could probably make a tidy profit on the place if I had to.

But I never want to move again - I'm hoping this is the place I stay in until they wheel me out feet first. Unless I came into a ton of money and could afford an amazing upgrade, of course, lol.
Edgewater is a neat little area. Jogging around Sloan's Lake is a great pastime. Our instructors in the police academy took us there several times to run. A nice break from the classroom and a few of us always managed to get phone numbers from the ladies hanging out admiring the young stud cadets.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:20 AM

17,087 posts, read 9,802,637 times
Yes, I could make a tidy profit if I sold, but the question is: where would I go? My entire life is here: family, friends, job, school, and a lovely, if imperfect, house. I have no desire to start over elsewhere, and my kids would have kittens if I even suggested it.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:54 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,221,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Yes, I could make a tidy profit if I sold, but the question is: where would I go? My entire life is here: family, friends, job, school, and a lovely, if imperfect, house. I have no desire to start over elsewhere, and my kids would have kittens if I even suggested it.
The only way to "win" the equity game is to sell and move to a cheaper market, as we did coming to Denver from California in 2005. We could sell our Denver house and move to Wichita and pay cash for a bigger house, but then we'd have to live in Wichita

Old 02-25-2015, 10:00 AM

5,444 posts, read 4,814,648 times
Quote:
The only way to "win" the equity game is to sell and move to a cheaper market, as we did coming to Denver from California in 2005. We could sell our Denver house and move to Wichita and pay cash for a bigger house, but then we'd have to live in Wichita
My brother in Texas said that I could have bought 2 or 3 houses for what I paid for our house. My reply was always "but then I would have to live in Texas".

Old 02-25-2015, 10:07 AM

17,087 posts, read 9,802,637 times
Better a high mortgage than high property taxes. You can pay off a mortgage, but the property taxes never end.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:12 AM

6,530 posts, read 10,200,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
My brother in Texas said that I could have bought 2 or 3 houses for what I paid for our house. My reply was always "but then I would have to live in Texas".
Amen to that...

Old 02-25-2015, 10:37 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,072,822 times
Quote:
Good point. Perhaps the trick is to live here until the prices appreciate to ridiculous levels and you have a ton of equity and then move to a desirable place that still has a relatively low cost of living. I'm thinking someplace like Montana, Boise, southern Oregon, etc. someday. Maybe even AZ again if I want the warm weather. Or just never leave.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:48 AM

695 posts, read 802,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Yea, along with my x's.

And, they do have an active death penalty in that state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver