U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 07:25 AM

1 posts, read 993 times

Advertisements

We may be taking a job in Centennial and need some relocation information. We have children that are 13, 15 and 16 {and two dogs)and will be looking for a house in the 400's range. Here are some things I am concerned about if anyone can give us some information. We currently live in Northern Michigan and have also lived in suburbs of DC.
1. What is the best subdivision for lots of kids?
2. Are there any local ski hills? Are there buses or clubs that take kids to the big ski areas? Could you ski every day or weekend?
3. Are people welcoming of newcomers?
4. Are gangs and drugs a big problem for teens?
5. Are there teaching jobs?
6. How is the traffic?
7. Best and worst things about moving to Denver?
8. What will I miss the most about living in the midwest?
9. Best builder for new homes?
10. Do you feel safe living in Denver subs? Would you allow your teenagers to go to mall with friends?

Any other info would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 08:05 AM

695 posts, read 803,004 times

Write your congressman. I don't have kids (that I know of; I've never been served with a child support order)

2. Are there any local ski hills? Are there buses or clubs that take kids to the big ski areas? Could you ski every day or weekend?

What do you mean by "local?" Sure, you could ski everyday or weekend of the season (if you have the money and don't mind sitting in traffic jams on I-70 to the mountains.)

I am not one of the migrants who just packed up and moved here for all Denver "has to offer" or because I needed to be with the "hip" crowd and it's the "thing to do." I was transferred here in 1981 by the Air Force. Didn't want to be here, but only stayed because after I received my honorable discharge, neither the NYPD, Yonkers PD or the Nassau County Police Departments were hiring. I was appointed to a local metro police department. I then went to law school. I stayed because my business is local. I would leave if I could and many feel the same way. We're sick of the traffic and population explosion.

Have you been asleep the past year? Don't you understand that marijuana is legal here? Don't you remember the Columbine shooting. Gangs are everywhere in the metro and the burbs' are not any different than the inner city. Violent crime by gangs may be more prevalent in the hard core areas of the city, but white punks (on dope) also roam the shopping malls and suburban high schools.

Yes . . . and there are also hundreds of applicants for each job. Remember, everyone wants to move here. It's the "hip" thing.

6. How is the traffic?

Heinous and getting worse everyday. Once again, remember, everyone wants to move here because it's the "hip" thing. The current infrastructure (which will be difficult to expand) is overloaded and cannot handle the traffic.

See, responses to 1 - 6, supra.

You can decide that after you move here. If I lived in Michigan, I would miss real hockey. Here we only have the Avalanche and they suck and the majority of people who attend the games have no idea of what the game is all about. They've never heard of Hockey Night In Canada or Don Cherry or Foster Hewitt or Bob Cole or Bobby Orr, et al.

I would never buy a new home, unless of course I knew a lawyer who specialized in construction defect law.

10. Do you feel safe living in Denver subs? Would you allow your teenagers to go to mall with friends?

I live in the foothills just for that purpose. See, response to no. 4, supra, for the shopping malls. It's not like the Rush video "Subdivisions" anymore.

Last edited by JohnnyDenver; 02-21-2015 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-21-2015, 08:56 AM

13,967 posts, read 20,244,681 times
Where are your jobs?
Addresses or cross streets. Centennial is large.

I would not buy a new home. (Even though I have.)
Your best buy is one that is 3-5 years old. Expansive soils are a major problem here.
I hope you understand how tight the housing market is here.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:35 AM

2,514 posts, read 3,493,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livelovelaugh2020 View Post
We may be taking a job in Centennial and need some relocation information. We have children that are 13, 15 and 16 {and two dogs)and will be looking for a house in the 400's range. Here are some things I am concerned about if anyone can give us some information. We currently live in Northern Michigan and have also lived in suburbs of DC.
6. How is the traffic?

1. Your job is probably in the DTC (Denver Tech Center). Lots of good suburbs around there. All older so more mixed ages. I suggest strongly that you pick one of the subdivisions close to work. If you prefer the master planned community concept look at Highlands Ranch. It is a nearby master planned community with its own rec centers and trails. All the neighborhoods around DTC have access to rec. centers.

2. No local ski areas like your thinking about. I grew up in the midwest where you had small ski areas here and there. Easy access (1 hr or less), no lines, cheap prices. I went after school all the time. Nothing like that here. I was looking forward to skiing here when I moved as I used to at home but after a few times I gave up. It isn't worth it.

3. Yes. Everyone is or was a newcomer. People are moving here in droves.

4. Teens will be how you raised them. If you have a bunch of gangsters and drug users that is what you have. If you don't you don't. The ones in my neighborhood grow up to clerk in D.C., attend Julliard, get PhDs in physics, become engineers etc. YMMV.

5. All the teachers we know are always employed.

6. Traffic is terrible. Live within walking or biking distance of your job. Own an old home in an aging neighborhood. It is the Denver thing to do. People aren't into the whole McMansion thing here. They value their free time so live close to work to recover the commute time for recreation.

7. Best: Political climate, thriving area, weather, live and let live attitude, access to western national parks, camping. Worst: Too much sun, no greenery, air inversion in winter, fire smoke in summer.

8. Miss most = greenery. Miss least = bugs.

9. New homes in your price range will be out at the fringes without good water rights. Probably very expensive taxes for infrastructural. Super high water bills. Be sure to compare property taxes for older neighborhoods in Centennial vs. a new build at the fringes.

10. I feel safe anywhere in the city, including the shopping malls. I go by myself all the time. Are your kids trouble makers? If so don't let them go by themselves. If they are going to keep their noses clean then they will be fine provided they have business in the mall like shopping and aren't just wandering around because they have nothing better to do. Best to take them for a bike ride, drop them off at the ice rink to skate, tell them to swim some laps at the pool or do something active with them instead. Loads of great hiking (those dogs need to be walked don't they? They will be very happy with a nice 5 or 6 mile walk per day.). Much better activity options for teens than wandering the mall. A nice snow shoeing or canoeing outing will be enjoyed by all: https://www.ssprd.org/Catalog.aspx?p...f02eb#srchhead

Last edited by mic111; 02-21-2015 at 09:56 AM..

Old 02-21-2015, 10:10 AM

6,912 posts, read 6,513,130 times
Quote:
6. How is the traffic?

Johnny Denver is a bit of a grumpy old man lately. Take his post with a grain of salt.

1. Not sure about this. I live in the city and it's great for kids, but not close to work for you.

2. Not many of the regular posters on here are skiers so they have a very jaded view of it. The weekend traffic is brutal if you try to go or return to Denver during peak travel times. If you don't mind going early and leaving early (on the road by 5:45am), you can be to Loveland in 1 hour. Add 30 minutes to that for Breckenridge and 45 for Vail. If you leave Denver at 7:00am all bets are off. Coming home after 1:30pm gets pretty dicey.

If you ski during the week, no traffic to speak of at all. The skiing is so much better than you are used to and season passes are very reasonably priced. There are ski clubs for teens at Loveland and Winter Park. Use google to find more information.

3. Quite. There are tons of people moving here from out of state all the time so it is very common.

4. Less so than most cities this size.

5. Ask davidv

6. Tough. Not as bad at DC, NY, Philly, or California, but it is very much worth trying to live near work.

7. Worst: Cost of housing is likely going to be a big downer for you. Traffic will be too if you don't live near work. Also don't like the politics and school board issues in Douglas, and to some extent, Jefferson counties.

Best: No humidity in the summer. Summer evenings are so pleasant here. Winter is also so much nicer. Lots of warm sunny days in December, January, and February. Snow melts a few days after it falls. Great city neighborhoods, awesome craft beer scene, thriving downtown, Great light rail system, progressive politics in the city.

8. I went to college in the Midwest and the only thing I miss is the greenery in the springtime and lack of traffic. We are semi arid so it will be more brown than you are used to. Everything else is better in Colorado in my opinion.

9. As others have said, putting yourself in a new home is going to mean a much worse commute. Target homes close to work. It will make a huge difference in quality of life. Also prepare yourself for a smaller home than you are probably used to.

10. The suburbs near your work are quite safe. I would of course let my kids go to the mall if I trusted them and by extension, the kids they hang out with.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 02-21-2015 at 10:32 AM..

Old 02-21-2015, 10:29 AM

Default I disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
People aren't into the whole McMansion thing here.
cf. Highlands Ranch, Candelas, a lot of Parker

Old 02-21-2015, 10:33 AM

Default No!

Quote:
Would you allow your teenagers to go to mall with friends?
No!
I think malls are evil and all should be torn down.
I would never support anyone spending money at a mall and thereby extending its life.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:00 PM

473 posts, read 694,196 times
Quote:
Could you ski every day or weekend?
Realistic and blunt answer: Absolutely not.

Except for A-Basin and Loveland our ski resorts are nothing like Michigan - here they're colossal, and the traffic on I-70 weekend mornings and evenings is horrific, and won't change anytime soon.

I'm a regular skier, here's my take: Attempting to do a weekend ski day with traffic, (with the exponential time added by three kids, even if good skiers), in one day is miserable, and often a giant waste of time and money - as your ski time gets eaten up by travel (I-70 traffic or weather delays), parking, shuttles, lift lines, waiting for each other if you split up, food breaks, and other random logistics.

I'd dare say no one here would disagree.

I might do an occasional one day to Loveland or Winter Park by myself, or with one other person at my ski level, but when I take friends or family up I find it far more enjoyable to give them and myself a "mini vacation" - (even if living just 75 miles from the slopes).

Rent a condo with a kitchen (a one bedroom with pull out couch is fine if a bit tight), bring some food from home to cook to save money on eating out - then you can spend a nice long weekend without the stress. And, you can explore a town like Breckenridge or Winter Park, be early on the slopes, sit around a fireplace in the evening, treat yo'self to a nice dinner somewhere where you can enjoy it, rather than blowing money eating of necessity. You can split up on the slopes or have a day off/rest day from skiing, and often park closer to the slopes than outlying parking lots. The money spent on lodging will be offset by the money saved in gas and meals, you'll have far more time on the slopes, and overall have a much nicer time.

So rather than ski every weekend, I now go up a few times a year, doing a few ski days in a row. If possible I try and go up Saturday or Sunday mid day (after the rush) and stay til Monday night or Tuesday: Less crowds, and aside from Christmas and Spring Break you can often find good deals on lodging.

Quote:
What will I miss the most about living in the midwest?
Big lakes. We just have crummy reservoirs here. (Except for Grand Lake.) However we have amazingly beautiful mountain lakes and cascades you can hike too in the summer, (although too cold for swimming) and incredible camping from Wyoming to New Mexico.

Quote:
I disagree with the above nihilistic response. This always depends on the parent and the teen. There will be bad influences everywhere, city, burbs, and rural areas. It depends on how the teen is educated to handle it.

Quote:
Would you allow your teenagers to go to mall with friends?
We don't have malls we have "lifestyle centers" - which are outdoor malls with a fake main street. But I thought the trend now was that teens are so overscheduled with tests, sports, and 6am classes that they don't have time for anything else. Anyway that may be a positive.

Last edited by jamesdenver; 02-21-2015 at 12:23 PM..

Old 02-21-2015, 12:00 PM

695 posts, read 803,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Johnny Denver is a bit of a grumpy old man lately. Take his post with a grain of salt.
I listen to a lot of Tom Waits.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:09 PM

6,912 posts, read 6,513,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
I listen to a lot of Tom Waits.
That'll do it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or