U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 12:53 PM

45 posts, read 43,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Did you offer them a free meal a Elways? Did you bake them a cake? Promise to send updated pictures of the house for the next 10 years? Offer to move them out for free? Offer to put their children through college? Now there's good terms

None of those, but we did offer up our first born Rumplestitlskin style. Haven't heard back yet, for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 03:03 PM

3,768 posts, read 4,620,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospartan View Post
Why? Because of how quickly it is rising?
No probably because the jobs are not appearing and the jobs that are here are not really raising pay, with some people even reporting having to take a paycut when moving here from places with lower cost of living than Colorado already.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:07 PM

6,530 posts, read 10,200,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
No probably because the jobs are not appearing and the jobs that are here are not really raising pay, with some people even reporting having to take a paycut when moving here from places with lower cost of living than Colorado already.
I think that's the exception rather than the rule. I know for a fact I'd have to take at least a 10% pay cut if I ever lost my mind and decided to move back to Dallas.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:33 PM

5,444 posts, read 4,816,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
What jobs are you expecting to appear? Denver unemployment rate is 4.4%.

Monthly Economic Indicators | Metro Denver

Of course some people might end up with a pay cut moving here. There is nothing in the world guaranteeing a particular salary. If I make 50K as an office manager and I move here from Texas, but by Denver job is working at a bowling alley, of course I will have a pay cut. They might not mind the pay cut because they hated Texas with a passion and they can do with the shortness of pay because they are much happier out here.

On the flip side, I personally know a lot of people (myself included in this) that moved here, stayed in the same field, and received a significant pay raise. My wife was unemployed for 2 years in Florida and when we moved out here, she had multiple job offers within the first couple of months of moving here. This was two years ago. Since then, we have both received decent pay raises along with bonuses.

In other words, every story is different. Just like everywhere else in the country, if not the world, some people move and the move works out great while other people move and it doesn't work out at all.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:24 PM

2,409 posts, read 2,628,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
Don't want to say I told you so... but...
I'm still hoping he'd find the posts he claimed he had made in 2008. Because I sure didn't find any.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:46 PM

833 posts, read 1,434,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospartan View Post
Hmmm OK. Need to start using /s for sarcasm, like Reddit does.

BTW - we just lost out on another offer where we started with $23k over listing price, with escalation up to $35k over. They ended up not going with the highest offer, but the "best terms". Still trying to figure out what that means from this specific seller, but I'm assuming they had an offer where the buyers would pay cash any difference between offer price and appraisal.
What price range and part of town was this in? Apologies if you have talked about this elsewhere, I'm more than a little behind with my CD reading...

Old 05-04-2015, 02:26 PM

45 posts, read 43,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
What price range and part of town was this in? Apologies if you have talked about this elsewhere, I'm more than a little behind with my CD reading...

Arvada. Up near Sheridan and 80th area. Not sure if Arvada is "hotter" than other areas right now, but it has been difficult to win any of these bids without having a ton of cash on hand to offset "waiving the inspection" or "paying cash for the difference in appraisal vs. offer price"

Old 05-04-2015, 05:02 PM

245 posts, read 250,779 times
Hottest market is Denver & San Francisco: Redfin CEO - NBC News

Discusses Denver toward the end.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:51 PM

2,561 posts, read 1,808,146 times
I wouldn't consider investing in the Denver metro real estate market now. There are just too many other reasonably priced "quality" markets that Denver has to compete with, such as: Salt Lake, Dallas/Houston, Austin, OKC/Tulsa, MPLS, and Boise.

It's not like Denver has such a unique and special location that it doesn't have to compete with these other cities. That's where California has it hands-down and is super competitive- in the climate and recreational contests. Where else in America can you find that mild climate and close proximity to amazing natural resources and beauty like the Sierras or Yosemite? However, California is wrecked due to many factors, so I wouldn't even consider it unless I was a millionaire.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:53 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,072,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I wouldn't consider investing in the Denver metro real estate market now. There are just too many other reasonably priced "quality" markets that Denver has to compete with, such as: Salt Lake, Dallas/Houston, Austin, OKC/Tulsa, MPLS, and Boise.

It's not like Denver has such a unique and special location that it doesn't have to compete with these other cities. That's where California has it hands-down and is super competitive- in the climate and recreational contests. Where else in America can you find that mild climate and close proximity to amazing natural resources and beauty like the Sierras or Yosemite? However, California is wrecked due to many factors, so I wouldn't even consider it unless I was a millionaire.
While I might tend to agree with your initial statement, Denver is a totally different market than all of those others you mentioned. VERY different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or