U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-27-2015, 07:55 PM
 
2 posts, read 5,601 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

We're relocating to south Denver suburbs from Chicago area. Four kids, middle school to high school age, husband will be working at Centennial Field.
We recently visited and are intrigued by both the Lone Tree and south Centennial areas. I'm not seeing much information on Lone Tree, can anyone offer advice/thoughts/experience?
Are there families in LT or is it a golf community? What is your experience with the high schools? What is Lone Tree's reputation?
I'm also interested in Centennial area feeding into Arapahoe HS so if you have any advice about those neighborhoods, feel free to chime in.
We're moving from the Chicago suburbs where there are lots of small towns with shopping, restaurants, movie theaters to walk to. I'm guessing we're not going to find that in south Denver so I'm trying to let that go. Lone Tree seems smaller and more manageable but the neighborhoods in Centennial remind me more of what we're used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2015, 07:57 PM
 
Location: The Berk in Denver, CO USA
13,946 posts, read 20,190,335 times
Reputation: 22564
Pick the schools first.
Then, decide where to live within the boundaries of the schools.
Town/City names are meaningless as it is all automobile suburbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2015, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Littleton, CO
3,111 posts, read 4,881,407 times
Reputation: 5429
Ranked in order of school quality.
1. Centennial feeding into Cherry Creek HS. (CCHS is comparable in quality to New Trier HS).
2. Centennial feeding into Arapahoe HS.
3. Lone Tree. I am not a fan of Douglas County Schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2015, 09:10 AM
 
2 posts, read 5,601 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks! I'm worried CCHS is too big and too competitive. Not sure one of my kids would do well in that atmosphere, which is why I thought I'd focus on Arapahoe.
I'm trying to get to the bottom of Douglas County Schools and what's going on there. Lots of mixed messages. Clearly everyone has an opinion - and lots of them! Highlands Ranch HS keeps ranking high in performance so I was focusing on that school and Arapahoe based on size and performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2015, 12:16 AM
 
4 posts, read 3,458 times
Reputation: 29
Default I've lived in both

I've lived in both (currently live in Lone Tree). Lone Tree is really just eastern Highlands Ranch for all practical purposes. However it does have a few things that you may be looking for. Park Meadows Mall is in Lone Tree, along with some pretty decent Restaraunts near the mall and along Yosemite. There's a movie theater too and if you can believe it, a symphony orchestra that plays concerts on Sweetwater Park and at the Lone Tree arts Center. If the home prices are a bit too high, consider the Acres Green neighborhood (which declined annexation in the 90s). It's a bit older, and blue collar (with no Covenants, unlike Lone Tree). It's also within walking distance of the mall, movie theater, restraraunts, and the Lone Tree Brewery (which is a pretty nice tap house...dogs and kids welcome!). My sons have attended the local elementary schools and my oldest just graduated from Highlands Ranch high. Douglas County schools are notorious for their conservative school district, but I wouldn't let that scare you too much. I've only experienced dedicated, excellent teachers so far. Further, most of the kids that will interact with yours are going to be college bound, with active and involved parents. DougCo is pretty conservative too, which may or may not be your thing. Arapahoe county is more moderate as a whole.

Centennial is a big city that stretches across the southern suburbs from west to east. In my opinion it has much less of a community feel than Lone Tree...probably due to its size. There's no city center. It's more of a big collection of suburbs. The schools for Centennial are mostly solid though. Cherry Creek schools are generally considered some of the best. IF I had the choice id look west toward the Littleton Schools. Arapahoe High or Heritage are smaller but Littleton schools have good reputations too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2015, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
1,801 posts, read 2,070,971 times
Reputation: 2758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squib View Post
I've lived in both (currently live in Lone Tree). Lone Tree is really just eastern Highlands Ranch for all practical purposes. However it does have a few things that you may be looking for. Park Meadows Mall is in Lone Tree, along with some pretty decent Restaraunts near the mall and along Yosemite. There's a movie theater too and if you can believe it, a symphony orchestra that plays concerts on Sweetwater Park and at the Lone Tree arts Center. If the home prices are a bit too high, consider the Acres Green neighborhood (which declined annexation in the 90s). It's a bit older, and blue collar (with no Covenants, unlike Lone Tree). It's also within walking distance of the mall, movie theater, restraraunts, and the Lone Tree Brewery (which is a pretty nice tap house...dogs and kids welcome!). My sons have attended the local elementary schools and my oldest just graduated from Highlands Ranch high. Douglas County schools are notorious for their conservative school district, but I wouldn't let that scare you too much. I've only experienced dedicated, excellent teachers so far. Further, most of the kids that will interact with yours are going to be college bound, with active and involved parents. DougCo is pretty conservative too, which may or may not be your thing. Arapahoe county is more moderate as a whole.

Centennial is a big city that stretches across the southern suburbs from west to east. In my opinion it has much less of a community feel than Lone Tree...probably due to its size. There's no city center. It's more of a big collection of suburbs. The schools for Centennial are mostly solid though. Cherry Creek schools are generally considered some of the best. IF I had the choice id look west toward the Littleton Schools. Arapahoe High or Heritage are smaller but Littleton schools have good reputations too.
Agree with this. Personally I live in western Centennial pretty close to Southglenn and for being in suburbia I think it's great. Access to Southglenn shopping center (the closest thing to a town center that Centennial has), good schools, downtown Littleton not far, close to Park Meadows, nice trail system out my front door (Highline Canal Trail), nice parks, 10 minutes to DTC, and 15-20 to downtown Denver (straight up University) in good traffic. I've heard nothing but great things about the schools.

FWIW, my wife and BIL lived in Lone Tree growing up and attended Highlands Ranch HS and loved it. Both turned out very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2015, 08:54 AM
 
Location: In The Thin Air
12,244 posts, read 8,033,606 times
Reputation: 8899
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Agree with this. Personally I live in western Centennial pretty close to Southglenn and for being in suburbia I think it's great. Access to Southglenn shopping center (the closest thing to a town center that Centennial has), good schools, downtown Littleton not far, close to Park Meadows, nice trail system out my front door (Highline Canal Trail), nice parks, 10 minutes to DTC, and 15-20 to downtown Denver (straight up University) in good traffic. I've heard nothing but great things about the schools.

FWIW, my wife and BIL lived in Lone Tree growing up and attended Highlands Ranch HS and loved it. Both turned out very well.
I think the city of "Lone Tree" has only been around for just over a decade now. I am not sure what the belong to before that.

Construction is going nuts in the area especially towards I-25 in the Ridgegate area.

Edit: I just found this. I was a bit off. The City of Lone Tree incorporated in November 1995 and became a Colorado Home Rule City on May 5, 1998.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2015, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,211,765 times
Reputation: 10428
I work in Lone Tree. I have neighbors who moved down there from Stapleton and they said that their new neighborhood is nothing like Stapleton.. as in they don't know their neighbors, kids don't play outside, no neighborhood friendships. They seem like they sort of regret the move after living in Stapleton where they had friends around, kids had playmates all over, block parties, and social interaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2015, 10:13 AM
 
Location: The analog world
17,087 posts, read 9,797,502 times
Reputation: 22736
It's different on the north side of County Line. These neighborhoods are pretty cohesive. We jokingly call it Hotel California around here, as in, "You can check in, but you can't check out." Kiddng, of course, but I know a half-dozen or so boomerang families: thirty-somethings who moved away for college, married, had children, and moved right back in as soon as they could afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2015, 10:58 AM
 
Location: In The Thin Air
12,244 posts, read 8,033,606 times
Reputation: 8899
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I work in Lone Tree. I have neighbors who moved down there from Stapleton and they said that their new neighborhood is nothing like Stapleton.. as in they don't know their neighbors, kids don't play outside, no neighborhood friendships. They seem like they sort of regret the move after living in Stapleton where they had friends around, kids had playmates all over, block parties, and social interaction.
Lone Tree comes across like that. There are a few very affluent neighborhoods. I love the Lone Tree golf course and my family physician is at Sky Ridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top