Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 07:34 AM

71 posts, read 87,656 times

Advertisements

Hey all. My daughter and I are coming to visit Denver (last week of march first of April) for our last scouting trip before we put up our house up for sale and move. Super excited to get on the slopes while we are there. Are the resorts going to be jammed up all week? We were planning on a weekday to avoid massive crowds. What time do the chairs start turning? Best/ worst time to drive I -70 to resorts? Any night skiing? If not when do they close?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 07:49 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Offsite Locations
HOURS OF LIFT OPERATION Weekdays 9:00 am to 4:00 PM

Night Skiing Colorado | Keystone Night Skiing | KeystoneResort.com
Just ski Loveland and enjoy the shorter drive.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:50 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lofarber View Post
Hey all. My daughter and I are coming to visit Denver (last week of march first of April) for our last scouting trip before we put up our house up for sale and move. Super excited to get on the slopes while we are there. Are the resorts going to be jammed up all week? We were planning on a weekday to avoid massive crowds. What time do the chairs start turning? Best/ worst time to drive I -70 to resorts? Any night skiing? If not when do they close?
So, you're going to be in Denver anyway? Does that mean that you are looking to ski as close to Denver as possible? Any ideas where you want to go yet?

It could be rather crowded, but nothing like the crowds on Presidents Day weekend or Christmas, so consider that a positive.

Unfortunately, traffic on I-70 is horrendous during ski season. The peak/worst times to travel WB to the mountains are Fri evenings between 3-6 pm and anytime Sat am before about 11 am. Worst time to travel EB back into Denver is anytime at all on Sunday.........just kidding. Really, the worst time on Sun is probably 12-3 pm. If you can travel during a non peak time, do so.

Can't comment on night skiing or times the slopes close.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:01 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
The mountains are more crowded all of March, but weekday traffic isn't really much worse than normal so if you can ski during the week, there will be no traffic to speak of.

Keystone has night skiing. Loveland is the closest and cheapest option. Keystone or Winter Park are the closest if you want a full resort experience. All of these mountains offer great skiing options and ski schools if you want to put the kids in lessons.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:05 AM

Yes I have read how horrible I 70 traffic is to/from mountains. I just read an article about the amtrack providing a train from union station up to mountain as a trial to see how feasible it would be to run on a regular basis.That would be amazing if it pans out. I don't care where we go, just looking forward to some long runs on non icy snow. Loveland sounds just fine to me if its a shorter drive. I'm a snowboarder and my daughter skiis. I'm assuming all the resorts are snowboarding friendly, and no, I don't want to ride in the terrain parks. Lol. Just like long cruiser runs.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:20 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,051,193 times
Originally skiers had to jump from the over the mountain train because it would only slow down but in 1936 they started running regular ski trains. I think the one to Winter Park was started in 1940. They were discontinued in WWII but restarted in 1945. The 50th anniversary was in 1986. The Ski Train made its final run to Winter Park on March 29, 2009 and was sold off. Hopefully with the new influx of people it can be restarted. I remember taking it a couple of times and it was always a very comfortable trip.

Check out the history of ski trains in CO:
http://www.skimuseum.net/images/uplo...1275434123.pdf

Old 03-01-2015, 12:33 PM

694 posts, read 1,039,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lofarber View Post
Yes I have read how horrible I 70 traffic is to/from mountains. I just read an article about the amtrack providing a train from union station up to mountain as a trial to see how feasible it would be to run on a regular basis..
They are also talking about a bullet train for several billion dollars. I believe that will be ready by 2040.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:44 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
the Ski Train to Winter Park from Denver was shut down with the 2009 season due to being a financially losing operation. In it's final days, it only operated on weekends and on a special holiday schedule. We took it a few times with the upgraded car/meal service, but it was more of a social trip than a serious ski outing for us.

After several sales of the line, there are no plans at this time to resume the service.

There is a one-day commemorative Ski Train trip scheduled soon this season, but that's the only trip I've seen for this year. Best to check this out now as it could sell out very quickly.

Spring Break is historically one of the busier times for the destination resorts when folk come out for a week-long trip. But mid-week skiing on a day basis is still less crowded on the slopes than with the Front Range weekend crowds. If you can head up to the slopes mid-week, there will be less traffic. Keep in mind that there's construction in the Idaho Springs area Westbound I-70 which can be a major slow down point; check the CDOT website for a few days in advance of your planned ski travel to see what are the typical times for this to be an issue. Loveland is closest ski area to Denver and has a wide range of terrain/conditions to ski ... although if there's a cold front moving through, this can be one of the colder ski areas of the ones near Denver.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:15 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
the Ski Train to Winter Park from Denver was shut down with the 2009 season due to being a financially losing operation. In it's final days, it only operated on weekends and on a special holiday schedule. We took it a few times with the upgraded car/meal service, but it was more of a social trip than a serious ski outing for us.

After several sales of the line, there are no plans at this time to resume the service.

There is a one-day commemorative Ski Train trip scheduled soon this season, but that's the only trip I've seen for this year. Best to check this out now as it could sell out very quickly.

The one-time Amtrak run sold out within 8 hours, it's gone.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:04 AM

Very interesting info about the ski train history. A bullet train? That would be incredible, ready just in time for my retirement years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver