U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 01:15 AM

200 posts, read 371,894 times

Advertisements

Don't you think it's tough to have a dog in LoDo?

There are lots of 2bd house rentals in SW Denver with yards for less than $1600/month. Just ten minutes from Highlands or South Broadway.

Here's Dave Barnes' take on Colo Spgs., which I agree with:
"2. The Springs is heavily dependent upon the US military. If/when Fort Carson is downsized, property will become very cheap.
3. The Springs is a good place for many people and a horrible place for many.
Negatives from my perspective are:
a. Way too politically right wing. Beyond conservative into nutjob land. An insane desire to cut taxes.
b. No start up culture. I first noticed this in the early 80s when I had a sales territory covering Boulder and Colorado Springs.
c. Not enough people. Pueblo is worse in this regard."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 03:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,390 posts, read 39,704,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_in_Denver View Post
Don't you think it's tough to have a dog in LoDo?

Here's Dave Barnes' take on Colo Spgs., which I agree with:
but... much of Colo Springs is very nice and really close to Mtns and recreation.

Denver is an endless Prairie subdivision. Many miles / traffic to recreation. The 'Brown Cloud' makes it tough to work from home and enjoy the view of the Mtns(?)

If OP is working from home, consider a very nice view NEAR / in the mtns.

I work from home and enjoy this :
https://www.google.com/search?q=cape...w=1055&bih=682
(income tax free and 20 min from a GREAT, FAST, ACCESSIBLE airport (don't have to drive to Kansas to get to airport))
(left CO in my 20's). I would fly to DEN ($70) for my meetings. Working from an Income tax free state, and being 5 minutes from a Sales tax free state allowed me to retire very early and enjoy more scenery / quality of life / more time with my 'farm dog'!

You can get similar digs within eZ driving distance of DEN,.

What part of Denver do you need to go for meetings?, How often?

Old 03-02-2015, 05:31 AM

8 posts, read 9,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelaf1120 View Post
I am planning on relocating to the Denver area and would love some advice on neighborhoods. I am a 25 year old business professional, I am laid back and enjoy good restaurants near by. I have a 4 year old dog so must be dog friendly. I am clueless when it comes to the Denver area so any advice would be great! I was also considering moving to the Springs as well so I would love opinions on Denver VS Springs. I would seriously love any input!!!!!!!
Check out Manitou Springs west of Colorado Springs. It's delightful!

Old 03-06-2015, 07:41 PM

77 posts, read 70,011 times
You don't have to be in Denver. You don't have to be in Colorado Springs, either. Start making
inquiries as, "Name some smaller towns where the young, mobile, professionals are making their
homes." Ideally, you might find yourself amidst social architects, building out the New Digital Order.
Let's see, you want a suggestion here, right?
OK.
Aspen, CO

Old 03-06-2015, 08:06 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,528,101 times
Quote:
. I am a 25 year old business professional, I am laid back and enjoy good restaurants near by. I have a 4 year old dog so must be dog friendly.
Spend a week in Denver driving around to different areas, pretty much any neighborhood could fit your criteria based upon what you have provided. Why do most such people that ask this comically broad question describe themselves as "laid back"? 80 percent of the population can be described as "laid back". There are a lot of dogs in Denver, but in this rental environment it will be a handicap.

Quote:
You don't have to be in Denver. You don't have to be in Colorado Springs, either. Start making
inquiries as, "Name some smaller towns where the young, mobile, professionals are making their
homes." Ideally, you might find yourself amidst social architects, building out the New Digital Order.
Let's see, you want a suggestion here, right?
OK.
Aspen, CO
WTF? Aspen? Are you on the Aspen town council, or are you just trying to draw more single women to live in Apsen? She said she needed to attend occasional meetings in Denver. Aspen? And btw, in the front range the young tech nerds (social architects, lol) you describe tend to live downtown Denver, not in smaller towns.

Last edited by Robert5; 03-06-2015 at 08:15 PM..

Old 03-07-2015, 07:05 AM

695 posts, read 801,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
Spend a week in Denver driving around to different areas, pretty much any neighborhood could fit your criteria based upon what you have provided. Why do most such people that ask this comically broad question describe themselves as "laid back"? 80 percent of the population can be described as "laid back". There are a lot of dogs in Denver, but in this rental environment it will be a handicap.

WTF? Aspen? Are you on the Aspen town council, or are you just trying to draw more single women to live in Apsen? She said she needed to attend occasional meetings in Denver. Aspen? And btw, in the front range the young tech nerds (social architects, lol) you describe tend to live downtown Denver, not in smaller towns.
Just sounds like someone is trying to impress others with the word Aspen.

Yea, like I`m fu&$in impressed.

Have a great Saturday. Watching 9 news. Already serious traffic accidents all around the metro with volume building on I 70 up to the ski resorts.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:16 AM

2,073 posts, read 1,811,563 times
I'd look at the Ballpark area. It's around Coors Field. Lots of new and renovated lofts/apartments and full of 20 somethings having a great time. I don't know anything about rents or dogs though.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:31 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,932,778 times
Quote:
I have a college degree and already have employment, which is 90 percent work from home with occasional meetings in Denver as well as out of state. I have visited Denver several times and have family in the Springs. I do not need a reality check and you do not beed to post negatively, just don't even post at all. I am from Chicago so I am very familiar with high rental costs.
He posted a very reasonable response given the information in your original post. There was no way for him to know what your level experience was, but that Chicago attitude is showing and won't be welcome.

For heavens sake, if you are going to be obnoxious about something, don't let it be having a college degree. A college degree qualifies someone to serve coffee. Our college system is a joke and the only thing it produces better than its European counterparts is lifelong debt. Until this post you seemed fairly reasonable.

Denver is a great city, so is the Springs. The Springs is more affordable but people that need others to entertain them will be bored and strongly prefer Denver. Given your need to state being from Chicago, I think Denver is probably the better choice. That doesn't mean Denver is better for everyone from Chicago, but for people that pull it out as proof of something...

Best of luck to you.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:53 AM

2,409 posts, read 2,627,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
I'd look at the Ballpark area. It's around Coors Field. Lots of new and renovated lofts/apartments and full of 20 somethings having a great time. I don't know anything about rents or dogs though.
Rent for a 1-bedroom ranges from 1.2k to around 2k. Dogs are very much welcome. The nicest ones for the young include The Douglas and Premier Lofts.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:49 AM

2,514 posts, read 3,486,397 times
A couple of threads from people who moved from Chicago.

CO wins - moving back to Chicago in a week

Reflections on living in Denver

Not to discourage you, just some home town perspective for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or