Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 01:15 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,044,319 times

Advertisements

I've been considering moving to the Denver area for a few years to join family already there.
However, I don't think investing in the Denver market makes sense now- prices are just too high. It's not like Denver has such a great climate (like San Diego) to justify these crazy prices.

Anyone else feel this way? Colo. Spgs. is still more reasonably priced by my research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 01:20 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,550,461 times
Chicago, New York, DC, and Atlanta have worse climates and are mostly more expensive. Climate is not the main reason people are moving here.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:19 PM

5,131 posts, read 6,127,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Chicago, New York, DC, and Atlanta have worse climates and are mostly more expensive. Climate is not the main reason people are moving here.
What is drawing everone to Denver?. Spent a few weeks last fall in the Denver area and saw a lot of transportation projects and wicked suburban sprawl near the airport. A few locals had mentioned building was picking up steam.

Spent a lot of time visiting different areas..........beautiful state. First time visitor and was blown away!

Old 03-01-2015, 02:25 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
What is drawing everone to Denver?. Spent a few weeks last fall in the Denver area and saw a lot of transportation projects and wicked suburban sprawl near the airport. A few locals had mentioned building was picking up steam.

Spent a lot of time visiting different areas..........beautiful state. First time visitor and was blown away!
Jobs. The tech sector is incredibly hot and Denver has a very strong startup scene.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:58 PM

My statement still holds: Denver's climate is not a draw to me, so I'm unwilling to pay sky high prices to live there. Beauty-wise, it's not breathtakingly beautiful IMO, the fall colors are only so-so, the soil is miserable sticky clay terrible for gardening, and snow can happen from May to Sept.

For the record, Atlanta has a better climate than Denver (not must my opinion, but according to statistics.) I'm not trying to bash Denver (I was born there), but only to show some perspective.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:12 PM

17,707 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Default Methinks not

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I don't think investing in the Denver market makes sense now...Colo. Spgs. is still more reasonably priced by my research.
1. Anyone who uses the word investment to describe the building they are going to live in is doomed to be disappointed. A house that is your home is NOT AN INVESTMENT; it is a place to live.
2. The Springs is heavily dependent upon the US military. If/when Fort Carson is downsized, property will become very cheap.
3. The Springs is a good place for many people and a horrible place for many.
Negatives from my perspective are:
a. Way too politically right wing. Beyond conservative into nutjob land. An insane desire to cut taxes.
b. No start up culture. I first noticed this in the early 80s when I had a sales territory covering Boulder and Colorado Springs.
c. Not enough people. Pueblo is worse in this regard.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:14 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
Quote:
My statement still holds: Denver's climate is not a draw to me, so I'm unwilling to pay sky high prices to live there. Beauty-wise, it's not breathtakingly beautiful IMO, the fall colors are only so-so, the soil is miserable sticky clay terrible for gardening, and snow can happen from May to Sept.

For the record, Atlanta has a better climate than Denver (not must my opinion, but according to statistics.) I'm not trying to bash Denver (I was born there), but only to show some perspective.
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's an opinion (and one that I personally don't share with you). I find the climate of the southeast to be miserable. Summer down there sucks. It's hot and humid and you spend a good part of the time from May-September as a captive to air conditioning.

As far as clay soil goes, I spent 12 years in Dallas and during the summer seemingly every other ad on TV is for foundation repair companies. To each his own.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 03-01-2015 at 03:47 PM..

Old 03-01-2015, 03:24 PM

694 posts, read 1,039,175 times
Quote:
For the record, Atlanta has a better climate than Denver (not must my opinion, but according to statistics.)
And the women are friendlier . . . .

Old 03-01-2015, 03:45 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,550,461 times
Quote:

Statistics you say!!?!? Please share how these statistics prove that something that is completely subjective is better. Too funny.

The good news is that not everyone needs to agree and it is certainly your prerogative to feel that the cost is not worth the value. I would just say that if you eventually do want to move back, I wouldn't hold your breath that prices are going to change dramatically.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:57 PM

Hey Skydog 77, I've seen Denver real estate prices rise and fall dramatically over the decades. So don't gloat quite yet.

As for climate, statistics are done on each city to determine how their temps compare with an "ideal." 68 I think. Not surprisingly, San Diego and Los Angeles won all other US cities by a LONG shot.

Atlanta BEAT Denver in those statistics. However, Atlanta is WAY too big for me, so I have no skin in this argument, but Denver is far from an IDEAL climate IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver