Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 10:44 AM

897 posts, read 1,252,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Yeah Pitbulls are defintely the dog of peace:

Some Pit Bull Facts You Might Like to Know

Let's not forget these Dogs were designed by humans for:

Today's pit bull is a descendant of the original English bull-baiting dog—a dog that was bred to bite and hold bulls, bears and other large animals around the face and head. When baiting large animals was outlawed in the 1800s, people turned instead to fighting their dogs against each other.

The Truth About Pit Bulls | ASPCA
Almost every brachycephalic athletic dog breed originally was a bull/boar/bear baiting dog mean to bite and hold large animals. Their noses are shaped like that to allow them to breath while holding. That is an invalid argument against pitbulls. Do you propose we add boxers to the BSL? They are also meant to bite and hold large prey until the owner comes.

The dog fighting thing - is absolutely true. Pitts will be either really submissive (raised for submission to be used as bait dogs) or really assertive and dominant and drivey. Either way, they have a very high pain tolerance, very strong jaws, and are tenacious. That is a valid reason against allowing pitts in cities - because they are more likely to fight other dogs, and even if not the aggressor once provoked will be tenacious in a fight and impervious to pain. I got nothing to say there.

Oh and full disclosure, I've never owned a pitt. I worked with a ton of them but have no personal stake in the manner. Just trying to provide whatever information I have.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:05 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
Michael Vick.

Nothing further from me on this thread.
Vick was an idiot, it wasn't the pull bulls fault Vick was ghetto swamp trash. Pit Bulls are the best dogs, they just need the proper training on how to be raised.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:07 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
Denver does have a ban on Pitt Bulls and its based in ignorance and why I have nicknamed Denver "the evil empire". Not only because of the ban but because they actually take dogs from their homes and kill them. They have killed over 1,400 since the ban was in place. I live in Pueblo and own a Pitt and she is lovable. The thing is people have this stereo type of what Pitt Bulls are and the type of people who own them. I am proof that is not true. Not only is my Pitt sweet and is my best friend but I do not fit the stereotype either as I am a gay activist who is a prominent citizen of Pueblo active in the arts and economic development effort. I am not alone as most owners do not fit the stereotype at all. So I find it very ignorant when people say they do not want those kind of people in their town and find a lot of similarities to that and how a segment of the population treats gay people. I think that is why I have taken this cause to heart. I was going to leave that last part out but decided not to as that is how I really feel and wanted to be 100% honest here.

Here are 2 pictures of my Pit Doogie:

Here is a documentary that has a entire segment on the ban in Denver:

Last edited by Josseppie; 03-02-2015 at 11:26 AM..

Old 03-02-2015, 11:10 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Denver does have a ban on Pitt Bulls and its based in ignorance and why I have nicknamed Denver "the evil empire". Not only because of the ban but because they actually take dogs from their homes and kill them. They have killed over 1,400 since the ban was in place. I live in Pueblo and own a Pitt and she is lovable. The thing is people have this stereo type of what Pitt Bulls are and the type of people who own them. I am proof that is not true. Not only is my Pitt sweet and is my best friend but I do not fit the stereotype either as I am a gay activist who is a prominent citizen of Pueblo active in the arts and economic development effort. I am not alone as most owners do not fit the stereotype at all. So I find it very ignorant when people say they do not want those kind of people in their town and find a lot of similarities to that and how a segment of the population treats gay people. I think that is why I have taken this cause to heart. I was going to leave that last part out but decided not to as that is how I really feel and wanted to be 100% honest here.

Here are 2 pictures of my Pit Doogie:

Here is a documentary that has a entire segment on the ban in Denver:

I love Pit Bulls, most people don't understand them so they hate on them based out of fear and ignorance.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:15 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,101,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
It's not though. It's the perfect example of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Replace "pitbull" with "firearm" and all of a sudden you'd get a much different reaction here in CO

With that said, like I mentioned before - a moron with a shih tzu will cause a lot less damage than a moron with a pitbull (or GSD, or malinois, or cane corso, or [any powerful breed with guarding instinct]). So people like the OP should not be mad at legislation because they just do the moronic things that they do (I'm sure you folks remember when trench coats were clearly the problem and should be banned in public right?) and find a narrow minded solution to a much deeper problem - the OP should be mad at those who gave her favorite breed a terrible reputation.

I don't disagree, it is throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
But how else should society deal the with problem if not to make laws?

I suppose we could require training and permits for certain types of breeds, but dog owners would likely complain that the added expense is unfair.

We can't pretend the problem doesn't exist , as a dog owner, what's your solution?

Old 03-02-2015, 11:29 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
This happened just a couple hundred feet away from my six year old niece lives and plays out in the yard with her little friends:

Pit bull attacks woman's motorized scooter in Englewood, kills her tiny dachshund, police say - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com

It's too bad Englewood hasn't also banned pitbulls.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:39 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
We've adequately replied to the OP's inquiry that yes, Denver still has BSL banning pitbulls. As always happens when this topic comes up, always, we go down the same road this thread has gone as the topic elicits strong emotions on both sides of the issue. Thus, this thread is now closed.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver