Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 10:38 PM

325 posts, read 371,744 times

Advertisements

It really depends on what you're looking for--what type of person you are. If you like shopping, good food, nice homes, go for Texas. If you're more of an outdoor person, go for Colorado. I love the outdoors, so I live in CO even though I grew up in Texas. There are lots of things I miss about Texas (it's still home), but can't beat the outdoors. Schools are good in both states, if that's a concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 10:38 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Another thing to keep in mind is that it's easier to transition from an area with a high cost of living to one with a lower cost of living. It'll be significantly tougher to leave Dallas for Denver than vice versa. IMNSHO I say start out with Denver and if you don't like it then try Dallas.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:45 PM

850 posts, read 796,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlady View Post
It really depends on what you're looking for--what type of person you are. If you like shopping, good food, nice homes, go for Texas. If you're more of an outdoor person, go for Colorado. I love the outdoors, so I live in CO even though I grew up in Texas. There are lots of things I miss about Texas (it's still home), but can't beat the outdoors. Schools are good in both states, if that's a concern.
I'm sure there is plenty of eating and shopping in Denver also, if all there is is eating and shopping and sitting at home all day long in McMansion than I rather be anywhere than Dallas or texas for that matter.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:05 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Then I wasn't explaining it well, sorry. I meant to say that I would expect to pay 10K additional in property taxes in Texas, but it would still be a veritable bargain compared to paying a state income tax. I see where you came up with that $216K number though.
Colorado state income tax on the income of 216k is very close to 10k, but property taxes are deductible, so yes you do come out ahead. For a normal income level, state income tax is nowhere near 7k-8k (10k subtracting tax deductions) a year.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:50 AM

245 posts, read 323,836 times
I would agree with what others have said, it mostly depends on who you are and what you enjoy. Denver is the clear choice if you enjoy an active lifestyle and the outdoors. If shopping, cultural amenities, and dining are more your cup of tea I would go with Dallas as the higher COL in Denver wouldn't be justifiable.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:53 PM

264 posts, read 702,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
There is no large city that is a Republican stronghold. Though most people you meet are Republican. Most people I meet in Houston are Republican too. I mean this is Texas.

Ok, I will concede there is good bbq in the hill country. We have two good places in Houston. They are rare though. I still don't know how I am going to live without Tex-Mex. I will also miss HEB. I just hope we can move our office late this year to Denver.
My wife cries every week when she goes grocery shopping because she misses HEB. We have Central Market but it's still different.

FWIW it's worth to the OP: I grew up in Texas and most of my maternal family is here. That being said, if I wasn't from here I doubt I would move here. The heat is unreal, and that's from someone who survived the summer of 1980 (as a kid) and 2011. We're into the outdoors and you search for those opportunities here. On the front range, the hardest decision is trying to choosing which park, trail, hike to partake that day.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:07 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverchris View Post
My wife cries every week when she goes grocery shopping because she misses HEB. We have Central Market but it's still different.

FWIW it's worth to the OP: I grew up in Texas and most of my maternal family is here. That being said, if I wasn't from here I doubt I would move here. The heat is unreal, and that's from someone who survived the summer of 1980 (as a kid) and 2011. We're into the outdoors and you search for those opportunities here. On the front range, the hardest decision is trying to choosing which park, trail, hike to partake that day.
A Tour of the Lake Flato-Designed H-E-B Montrose Market, Open Today | Swamplot

That is where I shop. It is way beyond the average HEB. There are now three in Houston that are this nice. Not the normal HEB.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:54 PM

264 posts, read 702,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
A Tour of the Lake Flato-Designed H-E-B Montrose Market, Open Today | Swamplot

That is where I shop. It is way beyond the average HEB. There are now three in Houston that are this nice. Not the normal HEB.
When we lived in Austin we shopped at the HEB Plus off MoPac & Slaughter. We went back to visit a month ago and my wife seriously considered bringing the Yeti and doing her shopping there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver