U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 02:31 PM

4,743 posts, read 3,708,116 times

Advertisements

Seems the ski resorts always close by 4/4:30 for daylight skiing. Sunset today is 7pm!

WTF people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 02:36 PM

6,885 posts, read 6,460,372 times
Labor.

This is a guess, but I did work as a ski patroller and everyone was single shift. Staying open later would involve adding a second shift for everyone on the mountain.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:40 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,290,985 times
From my experience especially in the spring when the sun is out longer the snow conditions really start to suck around 2-4PM

Old 03-10-2015, 04:48 PM

242 posts, read 284,511 times
All of the above....plus the fact that Ski Patrol must sweep every run on the mountain after the lifts close. At a place like Vail, it's a lot of ground to cover. The mountain grooming fleet also hits the hill about 5PM to smoothe it all out for the next day before it turns to ice...

And, of course, the beers call/Happy hour is underway. After going in @ 7AM...5PM can't come quick enough for most ski area employees. Been there, drank that. (don't ski or drink these days though...)

Old 03-10-2015, 07:19 PM

13,916 posts, read 20,103,660 times
The skiers are dog tired.
Time to call it quits and have drinks.

At this time of year the days are getting shorter in Australia and New Zealand.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:46 AM

898 posts, read 983,980 times
I might be wrong, but I think two things (both might be wrong):

1. Keystone offers nighttime skiing
2. Your daily lift pass covers both daytime and nighttime skiing so you can leave for late lunch and come back and continue at night.

Someone correct me if I am wrong about this

Old 03-11-2015, 12:36 PM

2,367 posts, read 3,900,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
I might be wrong, but I think two things (both might be wrong):

1. Keystone offers nighttime skiing
2. Your daily lift pass covers both daytime and nighttime skiing so you can leave for late lunch and come back and continue at night.

Someone correct me if I am wrong about this
Yes, that is true. I have done it and night time skiing sucks. It is too cold to be fun. If there is ice it is near impossible to see. It was fun to try once. We skied a little then ate Fondue at the top.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:06 PM

384 posts, read 405,864 times
All the reasons above are good ones, plus, there isn't really a reason to stay open longer from the viewpoint of the resorts.

Staying open until lets say 6pm, just incurs more costs and delays other end of day work that has to be done (creating more costs). And I don't see where they would make any more revenue - that extra 1.5 hours won't entice much (if any) demand so I don't see how they pay for it.

Night skiing is a little different in that people will come in late and pay to go but they have to be open well in to the night. Just closing a little later doesn't bring people to the mountain.

And the fact only a couple places out here have it tells me it's not really worth the effort.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:03 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,640,040 times
The 4pm close is a universal closing time for all ski areas (with rare exceptions such as Keystone night skiing) in all states in the western US-- same exact closing time as the Tahoe area ski areas and everywhere else I have been. It's not unique to Denver area resorts. I think it has something to do with the US Forest Service permits.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:55 AM

4,743 posts, read 3,708,116 times
That makes no sense at all. Sunset is like at 5:30pm during December. Your just doing the work later. . .the time needed doesn't change nor the daylight.

If you have to do something "before turns to ice" then why do places with lights stay open a lot later. . .yeah the excuses don't jive.

I did twit loveland. .and the below doesn't hold up. They said they thought about, in the spring, doing a later opening/later closing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Demon View Post
All of the above....plus the fact that Ski Patrol must sweep every run on the mountain after the lifts close. At a place like Vail, it's a lot of ground to cover. The mountain grooming fleet also hits the hill about 5PM to smoothe it all out for the next day before it turns to ice...

And, of course, the beers call/Happy hour is underway. After going in @ 7AM...5PM can't come quick enough for most ski area employees. Been there, drank that. (don't ski or drink these days though...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver