U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-26-2017, 06:14 PM
 
Location: The North
5,070 posts, read 9,061,772 times
Reputation: 4039

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Gentrification in Denver made news in the WaPo, specifically the Five Points area.

Seems the "INK" coffee shop put out an advertising sandwich board on the sidewalk with a message that sort of rubbed it in the noses of the locals, some of whom feel they are being pushed out of their own neighborhood by the ongoing gentrification of Five Points.

I'm sure other areas of Denver are gentrifying too, so this post and thread is not just about Five Points.

I don't quite get it though. If you OWN your home then how can you be pushed out? Am I being naive here? Can't you just sit back and enjoy the positive change of new businesses investing in your area? Rising prices in these area may be attractive to owners but you are not pushed to take the money and run. I'm sure homes in the rental market are turning over as investors take profits and move on, leaving renters to pay high rents or move out, but what else is new, such games know no racial bounds, everyone gets pushed around by market forces.
Its the same argument for Denver as a whole. All those who were in before rents went up believe they earned the right to stay at a rent they can afford, but that's not an argument that wins anywhere except in rent controlled cities. They invariably are going to be in this situation everywhere because rents rarely stay stable for longer periods of time. The moment demand increases from its normal state the rents are going to adjust quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-26-2017, 07:11 PM
 
Location: The Berk in Denver, CO USA
13,947 posts, read 20,196,196 times
Reputation: 22565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Ok, I guess that offers some protection. But a lien on the house for deferred taxes? Accruing interest on said taxes? That sure sounds like being affected by gentrification to me...
How?
They are DEAD when the bill comes due.
They are not forced from their houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2017, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Washington Park, Denver
6,904 posts, read 6,496,831 times
Reputation: 7353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Gentrification in Denver made news in the WaPo, specifically the Five Points area.

Seems the "INK" coffee shop put out an advertising sandwich board on the sidewalk with a message that sort of rubbed it in the noses of the locals, some of whom feel they are being pushed out of their own neighborhood by the ongoing gentrification of Five Points.

I'm sure other areas of Denver are gentrifying too, so this post and thread is not just about Five Points.

I don't quite get it though. If you OWN your home then how can you be pushed out? Am I being naive here? Can't you just sit back and enjoy the positive change of new businesses investing in your area? Rising prices in these area may be attractive to owners but you are not pushed to take the money and run. I'm sure homes in the rental market are turning over as investors take profits and move on, leaving renters to pay high rents or move out, but what else is new, such games know no racial bounds, everyone gets pushed around by market forces.
The tone deafness needed to put a sign like this out boggles my mind. It sounds like the owner didn’t know what gentrification even meant. I don’t know how nobody said ‘that might rub some people the wrong way’.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 11-26-2017 at 07:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2017, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Wheat Ridge, CO
568 posts, read 1,044,592 times
Reputation: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
The tone deafness needed to put a sign like this out boggles my mind. It sounds like the owner didnít know what gentrification even meant. I donít know how nobody said Ďthat light rub some people the wrong wayí.
That doesn't surprise me too much. What kills me is that it was their ad agency, located in 5 Points, who came up with that sign.
Agency behind gentrification sign: Our ad was
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2017, 03:58 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
4,794 posts, read 4,896,352 times
Reputation: 17136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie Daugie View Post
That doesn't surprise me too much. What kills me is that it was their ad agency, located in 5 Points, who came up with that sign.
Agency behind gentrification sign: Our ad was
I'm astounded that their ad agency could be so blind to the impact gentrification makes to the long time residents who are/were renters.

If you own a property, gentrification causes its value to rise, so you benefit. And I suppose that if everybody you know fits into that camp you might not think much about the other folks.

The truth is that we have a huge problem with the cost of housing going up quickly while wages remain flat. That's forcing renters out. Unfortunately, there is no easy fix. Rent control would just dry up the supply of rental units.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2017, 06:24 AM
 
1,019 posts, read 1,102,516 times
Reputation: 679
I am calling Human resources and demanding a 20% raise and using this thread and all your posts as ammunition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2017, 07:02 AM
 
1,561 posts, read 2,817,479 times
Reputation: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
How?
They are DEAD when the bill comes due.
They are not forced from their houses.
So what happens to that bill w/respect to their estate/heirs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2017, 09:46 AM
 
Location: The Berk in Denver, CO USA
13,947 posts, read 20,196,196 times
Reputation: 22565
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
So what happens to that bill w/respect to their estate/heirs?
Did you read it?
The estate pays the taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2017, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Denver
244 posts, read 226,222 times
Reputation: 370
I don't know what the argument or counterpoint to gentrification is. Is it sad that people are forced out of a neighborhood they have lived in for years? Absolutely. But many of the areas that are "gentrifying" are often devoid of businesses, have high crime rates, low property values, and low academic achievement. If you want ANY improvements to a community/neighborhood, then the cost of living in that area is going to increase.

You cannot find a single area where there are nicer amenities and businesses providing job opportunities without an increase in COL. Any investment in an area will increase the home values, increase rent, and displace someone. So what is the solution? Stop all investment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2017, 04:18 PM
 
1,019 posts, read 1,102,516 times
Reputation: 679
3 full time jobs ...that is what I would do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:29 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top