U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 04:40 PM

2,560 posts, read 1,803,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
One segment of the population that can be affected are older people. Some might have lived in the same home for many decades, and now survive on nothing but social security. Even though the house may be paid for, it might be worth so much that the property taxes are now too high to be compatible with their social security income.
That scenario you describe (you own your home, but its appreciation causes prop taxes to skyrocket) is exactly what I read happened in CA during the 1970s--this ultimately resulted in CA's Prop 13 to become law.
But, Colorado's property taxes are a relative bargain, especially compared to states like NY, NJ, MN and IL. So I don't know why gentrification wouldn't be welcome, UNLESS you're a renter and you don't like millennials and hipsters, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 06:29 PM

6,522 posts, read 10,185,025 times
The problem I have with protesting gentrification is that, like it or not, Five Points is exponentially better today than it was 20-30 years ago. Prior to gentrification Five Points was a no-go for a LOT of people. It was a crime-ridden dump. Hang around there long enough and you were likely to get mugged or shot. What is it that the protesters want? A return to the "good old days" of drug deals and daily gun play?

Old 11-28-2017, 08:19 AM

5,444 posts, read 4,808,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The problem I have with protesting gentrification is that, like it or not, Five Points is exponentially better today than it was 20-30 years ago. Prior to gentrification Five Points was a no-go for a LOT of people. It was a crime-ridden dump. Hang around there long enough and you were likely to get mugged or shot. What is it that the protesters want? A return to the "good old days" of drug deals and daily gun play?
Funny thing is, I think they do. Watching the news this morning, they were interviewing one protester who said (paraphrasing), five points was predominately an African American neighborhood and they want to keep it as an African American neighborhood. I have to wonder if these same people complaining about gentrification would also be complaining when the drugs and crime return.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:41 AM

2,514 posts, read 3,484,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _DenverNative_ View Post
I'm being so right now. We look to be out by the end of July.

Capitol Hill used to have affordable small apartments for working people without college degrees. That is officially GONE. The average 1 bedroom here - even an old unremodeled little joke I saw at 8th and Sherman - is around $1,000 a month. These are small apartments in old buildings that used to be hotels. Kitchenettes, living room and bedroom the size of a litter box.

I have lived in Capitol Hill since 1990. It's now over. Thankfully I have another adult with a steady income in the home or I'd be consigned to a gang area like North Aurora, which actually may happen anyway, due to neither of us owning a car.

Cornerstone are among a few common management companies renting around here. They don't take pets.
You do realize that you displaced other residents who used to live in the cheap little hotels but likely couldn't afford to stay there when the places were converted to apartments. You were the first wave of gentrification. Now the second wave is moving in.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:56 AM

244 posts, read 225,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
You do realize that you displaced other residents who used to live in the cheap little hotels but likely couldn't afford to stay there when the places were converted to apartments. You were the first wave of gentrification. Now the second wave is moving in.
People often forget this. Whenever you move ANYWHERE you are often displacing someone else.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:48 PM

17,447 posts, read 23,865,933 times
What was the ethnic majority in the district before it was black?

Old 11-29-2017, 07:14 AM

6,902 posts, read 6,489,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
What was the ethnic majority in the district before it was black?
There wasn’t one. Your hypothesis is wrong and frankly a pathetic attempt to delegitimization the feelings of a large group of people who you don’t like.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:54 AM

2,380 posts, read 918,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
I think you need a heart transplant. I'm sure there is an empty space where your heart should have been.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This in spades!

Old 11-30-2017, 01:48 PM

536 posts, read 253,535 times
Denver is land locked. So matter how you slice it the pie is only so big.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:36 PM

12,245 posts, read 8,025,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
Denver is land locked. So matter how you slice it the pie is only so big.
OK? Do you have a point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or