U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 03:22 PM

9 posts, read 8,340 times

Advertisements

We do plan on applying for jobs a few weeks before moving. I know it will be a big change for us moving from Missoula to Denver. I do have a lot of friends who live in Denver who I have been getting advice from as well. Moving is always scary but I know it will be worth it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 08:29 PM

13,942 posts, read 20,184,988 times
No way on $1500 unless you are willing to be an "urban pioneer".
And, 90.3% of Aurora is just fine.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:47 PM

What's the average rent price then? The ones we have been looking at have been around $1,500...I think we will be just fine ��

Old 03-15-2015, 09:28 PM

384 posts, read 406,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkieapple View Post
Don't live in Aurora or lower downtown. They are terrible areas. Lone Tree is seriously pricey. You may want to consider Parker, Highlands Ranch, and Centennial if you're looking for a suburban feel. Boulder and Highlands if you want a hipster feel. If you have kids Parker and Highlands Ranch are the absolute best places to live. Oh! And stay away from Green Valley Ranch as well. Housing prices are dirt cheap there for a reason! Littleton is interesting. Its huge. And there are parts that are the boonies, and cute parts. If you live in the area of Littleton that borders highlands ranch and centennial you're in a nice, cute area. The other parts, not so much. The great thing about Parker and Highlands Ranch specifically are the family friendly environments. Both cities host tons of family activities and programs. Highlands ranch has rec centers included in their HOA's and Parker has an adorable historical Main Street with a huge park and waterpark.
What's the polite way to say "completely ignore this post."

Aurora and LoDo both have nice parts and are heaven to different groups of people. Highlands Ranch and Parker can be fantastic or divorce causing depending on your situation. (so far for my friends, HR is batting .750ish and Parker is about .200 on keeping a marriage together).

I have friends that absolutely love Green Valley Ranch, but hey I have 0% interest in living there, so maybe Mikkieapple is correct.

And there are family friendly activities in pretty much every neighborhood and most parts of the Denver Metro. There are a ton of happy families all over the metro area. And most cities have rec centers - that is far from unusual here.

I would suggest narrowing it down to what you WANT out of where you live before making a decision.

Lets pretend you like skiing - well, if you pick Parker, you've just added an hour to the drive to the mountains. Most of us can get up and on the road by 6:15, if forced, but now, that's 5:15am. And lets say you like concerts. Red Rocks is now 45 minutes (not counting Morrison traffic) from your house. Is that really a good move.

Again, not to pick on the quoted, but those were extremely blanket statements - far more research required (to be polite)

Old 03-16-2015, 08:38 AM

12,244 posts, read 8,029,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Most of Aurora is just fine. The East Colfax corridor is about as bad as it gets, but it's really no worse than Montbello or Green Valley Ranch.

IMNSHO Parker is great...if you never have to leave Parker. Otherwise you're gonna have to deal with craptacular traffic because egress into and out of the city is pathetic.
I agree. I was about to reply but you covered it. Aurora is big and it is not all the same.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:40 AM

12,244 posts, read 8,029,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by step33 View Post
What's the polite way to say "completely ignore this post."

Aurora and LoDo both have nice parts and are heaven to different groups of people. Highlands Ranch and Parker can be fantastic or divorce causing depending on your situation. (so far for my friends, HR is batting .750ish and Parker is about .200 on keeping a marriage together).

I have friends that absolutely love Green Valley Ranch, but hey I have 0% interest in living there, so maybe Mikkieapple is correct.

And there are family friendly activities in pretty much every neighborhood and most parts of the Denver Metro. There are a ton of happy families all over the metro area. And most cities have rec centers - that is far from unusual here.

I would suggest narrowing it down to what you WANT out of where you live before making a decision.

Lets pretend you like skiing - well, if you pick Parker, you've just added an hour to the drive to the mountains. Most of us can get up and on the road by 6:15, if forced, but now, that's 5:15am. And lets say you like concerts. Red Rocks is now 45 minutes (not counting Morrison traffic) from your house. Is that really a good move.

Again, not to pick on the quoted, but those were extremely blanket statements - far more research required (to be polite)
You lost on me on how a particular location has anything to do with keeping a marriage together.

The poster that said Aurora is terrible has 4 total posts and did not provide any evidence of why it is terrible. They probably saw something on TV.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:15 AM

384 posts, read 406,973 times
Sorry! I lost you b/c I did a terrible job of writing that I mostly meant to point out silliness of "Highlands Ranch and Parker are the absolute best places to live". Clearly I disagree.

Yes, the location thing is horribly anecdotal by me, but I've seen couples break up when those chose the wrong place to live. Usually because they picked a place that worked for one, and not the other. My Parker note was really because I've known people that moved out there and then began hating it (and later each other) because they were now too far from both their friends and their interests. Which goes against the idea of "absolute best places."

Now, that's not really Parker's fault. It is people not choosing a new home for the right reasons. (Picking a bigger/nicer home over one that was located closer to town/work/friends).

And I'll retract the Highlands Ranch thing. That's too complicated to explain here - it's really an inside joke among my friends - and they aren't reading it. Gotta stop posting while working (and waiting on others to do stuff) late at night

Old 03-16-2015, 09:28 AM

2,514 posts, read 3,485,646 times
I chuckled when I saw the old outdated anti Aurora sentiment rear it's head again. Debated whether to reply or not. But to let it be just isn't right. There are poor (meaning people have no money) areas all over the metro area. Aurora is no worse or better with it's poor areas than Denver, Littleton, Englewood etc. Poor is poor no matter which city it sits in. There is no bad magic that happens at the Denver/Aurora border where on one side of the street that is Denver it is fine like Mayberry and the other side it is Aurora, where all the hoodlums are lying in wait to fall upon you.

In my neighborhood it goes like this. Some person who has never been to Aurora makes a statement that Aurora is bad and they don't go there. I ask if they have ever been. They say no. I ask how they know it is bad. They say they heard it. I say I have been all over it and find nothing bad or concerning. Would I live in a poor area? No. But I wouldn't live in one in Wheatridge, Boulder or any other city in the area. I have no concerns driving through them, visiting people or patronizing a business in them.

In terms of helping the OP I would love to chime in but it is sort of pointless until a job is identified because all the advice is meaningless until that point.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:50 PM

I guess I just wanted to figure out where we will live before looking for a job. I don't want to work somewhere 2 hours away from my home .I'm sure any commute is far due to it being a big city. I've visited Denver multiple times and my best friend lives there. My husband and I will apply for jobs as it gets closer to August. Thank you for all of the opinions! What does everyone think of Englewood?

Old 03-17-2015, 03:02 PM

13,942 posts, read 20,184,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca4585 View Post
What does everyone think of Englewood?
City or Postal Code?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or