U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 12:45 PM

12,253 posts, read 8,038,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehess View Post
After all your fantastic input, I'll be moving to the North Pole due to lower crime rates. Thanks!

But anyways, honestly thanks for the input. I'll have to look more into the light rail. 30-40 minute commute on that from Wash Park/DU area looks pretty reasonable, especially if i could catch a shuttle to my work from the Lincoln stop. I've been to the Washington Park area and it was beautiful (the 3 days i was there, i guess...) and close enough to downtown to not feel TOO suburb-ish.

Any more input is appreciated!
You still have to worry about the polar bears.

If you don't mind the commute then Wash Park isn't that bad. Good luck in your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 01:12 PM

17,087 posts, read 9,802,637 times
Check with your employer to see if it subsidizes light rail passes. If so, that can make light rail much more affordable, and it will open up your housing options.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:20 PM

170 posts, read 181,959 times
My suggestion would be to live as close to work as possible in the Lone Tree / Centennial area not more than 10 minutes away and to take the light rail / commute to Downtown whenever you need to for fun. The advantages of doing that are a lot since you can rent a nicer place for the money in those areas as Washington Park and Downtown are expensive places to rent a place. Also, assuming, it's a 30-40 minute commute, you can save that time in commuting which adds up to an hour a day which is over 5 hours a week. These 5 hours can be used for other activities like sleeping in.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:23 PM

6 posts, read 8,784 times
You might have a hard time finding a place in Wash Park in your price range. In fact, just in glancing at the craigslist apartment listings in Wash Park, it looks like several of the listings $1200 look rather suspicious (watch out for those craigslist scams). If you like that area, though, the University neighborhood isn't far and is a little more reasonable... for now.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:37 AM

5 posts, read 5,496 times
Would anyone recommend living in the DTC? I mean, it doesn't sound super exciting with lots to do but it is close to work and the light rail. Could take the light rail both downtown and to work whenever I felt like it. Seems to be some nicer, newer apartment complexes as well.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:18 AM

12,253 posts, read 8,038,289 times
Quote:
Would anyone recommend living in the DTC? I mean, it doesn't sound super exciting with lots to do but it is close to work and the light rail. Could take the light rail both downtown and to work whenever I felt like it. Seems to be some nicer, newer apartment complexes as well.
I would definitely recommend it if it is affordable.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:00 AM

5,158 posts, read 3,680,257 times
Quote:
Not a bad idea. You may want to negotiate a 6 month lease in case you want to try a different area once you become familiar with Denver.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:26 AM

459 posts, read 672,170 times
Quote:
The DTC is the antithesis of exciting. They've made a few token attempts at changing that such as Fiddlers Dental Coors Green Amphitheater, Landmark theaters, comedy works DTC, etc. but it still has a long way to go.

For entertainment, and socializing 9 times out of 10 you'd probably be getting on that light rail or driving somewhere. True there's newer apartment complexes throughout the DTC, but there's also some near the Broadway and Alameda stations if you want to stretch your commute further.

Most people can tolerate a boring neighborhood or a bad commute for at least one year before they familiarize themselves with an area and can see where the right balance is for them. Unfortunately those seem to be your choices.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:55 AM

101 posts, read 130,852 times
Quote:
After all your fantastic input, I'll be moving to the North Pole due to lower crime rates. Thanks!

But anyways, honestly thanks for the input. I'll have to look more into the light rail. 30-40 minute commute on that from Wash Park/DU area looks pretty reasonable, especially if i could catch a shuttle to my work from the Lincoln stop. I've been to the Washington Park area and it was beautiful (the 3 days i was there, i guess...) and close enough to downtown to not feel TOO suburb-ish.

Any more input is appreciated!
one more recommendation for looking someplace along the light rail line. near the du/washington & pearl/broadway/alameda stops would be ideal. i'm not sure what's available for your price range, but there are a lot of people in their mid-20s in that area. maybe you end up sharing a place with roommates, which is not always a bad thing when you're new in town.

i used to commute down 25 from this area to the dtc - first by car, and then via the light rail. way, way easier to take the train most days as you're not stuck in traffic. i'm happy to add another ten minutes to my commute if i can doze on the train, check email, whatever. according to rtd, there is a shuttle to your office from the light rail stop which makes it a lot easier. you can always drive in if you need to.

if you're living closer to fun (which doesn't necessarily mean downtown denver, btw) that affords you that many more opportunities to spend an unplanned saturday afternoon at wash park, go out for a drink on a weekday night, or walk the strip on south broadway on a whim. get a bike, and it's easy to get to all this stuff in minutes from the areas listed above, plus you'll be at home with all the other people in the area who bike to get around.

as someone who spent part of his 20s living near work and commuting to where all my friends hung out, i kinda regret it. it got old coordinating trips to meet up with people as opposed to spontaneous get-togethers. plus i bet that a lot of the people that you're going to meet when you're out for the night probably live near the area and didn't just drive down for the night.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:46 AM

330 posts, read 346,615 times
^^Good advice. There are new apts built - and being built - convenient to light rail lines in the areas of those stops (DU, Washington/Pearl, Broadway, Alameda). Those areas are definitely not the 'burbs.

And mundele offers an interesting perspective on living nearer your work vs. your fun. I've never lived in the DTC area but I drive through there a lot and have never thought that would be a great place to live although there are some nice enough apts and condos there. Apparently plenty of people like it, another example I suppose that what suits one person may not suit another.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or