Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:10 AM

275 posts, read 1,468,291 times

Advertisements

I went down to Englewood this morning and took some pics. Started off in Arapahoe Acres and then headed over to Broadway and a fairly new transit oriented development. The pics of Broadway and the TOD are after the Arapahoe Acres shots. Not a lot of pedestrian activity in the commercial areas since, once again, I shot these photos on a Sunday morning.

Arapahoe Acres ( Arapahoe Acres Historic Preservation Network ) consists of mid-century modern architecture and was built between 1949 - 1957. It is a small neighborhood in Englewood ( City of Englewood : Home ) which is the first suburb to the south of Denver (about 5 or 6 miles from Downtown Denver).

Englewood was incorporated in 1903 and currently has a population of a little over 30,000.

Also if you missed it I recently posted some photos of the Baker neighborhood here -- http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...snow-cold.html

YouTube - The Jetsons Intro

3 I'm sure they're thrilled to have a speed gauge in their front yard

Some traditional housing near Arapahoe Acres

Some shots along and just off Broadway

55 My kids want me to take them to this little indoor amusement arcade... I have successfully resisted so far.

56 The Gothic seems very popular -- often long lines for the shows -- I'm too old to go:slob:

Couple shots of housing a block off Broadway

More shots along Broadway

About 3 Blocks West of Broadway is a fairly new Transit Oriented Development near the Englewood Light Rail Station. I believe it replaced an abandoned industial site.

74 Englewood Civic Center

88 The architecture is pretty mainstream, but it could be worse

90 I have no idea why the one lady is holding a dead bird

Couple of shots of Downtown Denver from Broadway in Englewood

95 OK so my battery is almost dead and I figure I'll go and grab a couple more typical housing shots just off Broadway -- instead it is my good fortune to happen upon LiveContent and his posse -- err I mean Zack and Morgan:

They were cool -- just like I was back in the day

105 Zack has some good stuff on his website

Last edited by MobyLL; 01-14-2008 at 12:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 09:54 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,089,721 times
Default Comment Thread on Englewood / Arapahoe Acres / Mid-Century Modern -- Photo Tour

Thanks for the awesome pics! It's funny how mid-century homes like this have come back into style. This neighborhood reminds me of an Eichler neighborhood near where I lived in California. And the landscaping around many of them is amazing. People are probably shocked to see that big yucca in the second or third pic growing in Denver. They're native to higher elevations in northern Mexico, but do well here. Very slow growing too - one that size is probably worth over $1000!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-31-2009 at 12:16 PM..

Old 01-14-2008, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the cool pics! It's interesting how mid-century architecture has come back into style. These houses remind me of Eichlers near where I lived in California. And the landscaping is amzing aound some of these homes too. I bet people are surprised to see that giant yucca in the 2nd and 3rd pics. They're native to high elevations in northern Mexico, but do well here. That one is probably worth well over $1000 at that size.

I've seen that crazy black hearse before and wondered what the deal was.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:46 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,343,335 times
Gee, I just had to look at these pictures again--wow, these are the best pictures (no, I just did not look at that, that, that, woman....ah) what was I saying, yea, the pictures of those houses in Arapahoe Acres--some are real small--nice and efficient; that is my type of house.

The bank building on old Hampden and Broadway--I am glad it is still there. It looks like it has been fixed up nicely. Yep, this is a nice neighborhood for a stroll.

Thanks,

Livecontent

Old 01-14-2008, 01:47 PM

Sorry about the double post. Something happened and I thought I lost the first one, so I tried to re-create it.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:23 PM

275 posts, read 1,468,291 times
Hey denverian -- thanks for the comments -- yeah i had to get a shot of that yucca plant; reminds me of my home state of New Mexico.

Livecontent -- I like that bank building a lot too.
Next time I run into Morgan I'll put in a good word for ya. And btw -- congrats on the recognition from the admin/owner -- well deserved.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:44 PM

739 posts, read 2,940,741 times
I love this area. Thanks for posting!

Old 01-14-2008, 04:55 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,069,103 times
Wonderful thread and great pictures MobyLL! There are a few more neighborhoods like this in South Denver (at about Florida and Cherry area). They do a home tour each year to raise funds for the arts and music programs at the local elementaries in the area. I will try to get some information for you as I read about the area in Atomic Magazine. It is neat to see the inside of these homes as the owners try to collect items from the year that the home was built and furnish their homes with their finds. It is odd to see these homes in Denver and not in California as they incorporate huge windows and high narrow windows along the walls and ceilings, hence less ability to store heat during Denver winters. Glad you captured this area as it is not the typical historic vitorians that Denver has so many of! Thanks for the tour!

There is a whole magazine dedicated to them:

http://www.atomic-ranch.com/

The Denver neighborhoods are featured in here periodically.

In addition, a lifestyle:

http://www.atomicmag.com/

Some of the newer owners really try to go back in time with their decors, clothing, cars and general lifestyles. It is fun on the tours but kid of odd at times when you meet the owners, funky rock-a-billy types. Strange to alter your life so much based on the architectural design of your home.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:55 PM

2,885 posts, read 7,099,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Thanks for the cool pics! . . . I bet people are surprised to see that giant yucca in the 2nd and 3rd pics. They're native to high elevations in northern Mexico, but do well here. That one is probably worth well over $1000 at that size.
Yes, great pictures, Moby.

As an aside, people should not be surprised to see yucca. It is not only native to high elevations in northern Mexico, yucca is also native to Colorado. (not all yucca, of course) PLANTS Profile for Yucca | USDA PLANTS

Old 01-15-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Yes, great pictures, Moby.

As an aside, people should not be surprised to see yucca. It is not only native to high elevations in northern Mexico, yucca is also native to Colorado. (not all yucca, of course) PLANTS Profile for Yucca | USDA PLANTS

You find yucca growing wild all around Denver. I have 3 varieties in my yard, but not like the one show above with a trunk. They had one for sale about that size at Paulinos last year, but they wanted around $1000 for it!

I think it's rather unexpected to see the kind with the trunk here, but in the summer, I bet that house looks like it could be in Phoenix rather than Denver.

I was wondering about the heating issues with these houses. I had a friend in Orange County who lived in an Eichler (famous architect for building these types of houses) and even there where the temps rarely got below 45 in the winter, it was kind of a cold house. I wonder if they used double pane windows for these houses in Denver? Also, do most of these houses have central courtyards? All the Eichlers had them - you go through the front door inot an open air courtyard, then another door into the actual house. Many people had created elaborate tropical gardens in these courtyards that you could see from various rooms in the house. And like someone else mentioned above, it was common to see greasers/rockabilly types living in them with old cars from the '50s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: