Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 11:23 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
So in all honesty, what's a comfortable household income in for a family of four in Denver? Because anything under $200,000 in LA seems to mean that you have to live in either a crappy area with bad schools or you sacrifice saving any money (no personal savings, no 401k, no college, etc.) in order to live in a solid neighborhood. Really good neighborhoods are still out of reach at $200,000 which is sad
We live in a good neighborhood in the city of Denver w/good schools, and we have to watch our money w/a combined income of something like $180K. We've lived in our house for 10 years now, so it was about $175K cheaper when we bought it that what you'd pay today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 11:56 AM

556 posts, read 762,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
We live in a good neighborhood in the city of Denver w/good schools, and we have to watch our money w/a combined income of something like $180K. We've lived in our house for 10 years now, so it was about $175K cheaper when we bought it that what you'd pay today.
Well, that's a little disconcerting I suppose. Do you live near the city center or out in the suburbs?

Old 03-30-2015, 12:34 PM

129 posts, read 226,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifico View Post
As to why it seems as if denverites are "in their own little world", here's my theory.

1) geography: there's not another major city close by for want, 500 miles? Denver practically in the middle of the country with not another major metro area anywhere nearby. To add to its feeling of isolation is when you look west you face the towering rocky mts and it makes one feel even further isolated from the rest of the west. Now, look to the east and it's vast, flat prairie land as far as the eye can see.

2) altitude: the high altitude, lower oxygen levels, has got to be some sort of factor in thx general aloofness of some Denverites. I hope it's not true, but look up suicides rates in high elevation mountain states. One can even extrapolate this a step further and realize that in Denver you are a Mile high into the atmosphere and all around you somewhere many many miles away are all the other big cities.

3) popularity: one can't dispute the image of Denver and Colorado in general as outdoorsy, green, Eco movement, 'green', hip/trendy, health conscious, physically fit, alternative etc. I think this may add to native denverites' sometimes stand off-ish persona. Case in point: "NATIVE" bumper stickers. By the way I've never even heard or seen of this previously.
Sorry, but how does point #3 factor into the aloofness of the locals? I missed it

Old 03-30-2015, 01:35 PM

129 posts, read 226,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Being from LA, I woud agree. Anyone who thinks these are bad here, should NEVER consider living in SoCal or California at all for that matter.
That's a bit of stretch.. SoCal is a huge area. I lived and know LA, (depending on where you live) traffic is horrendous and you have to be calculated but here in San Diego and the surrounding is much more tolerable the beauty and opportunities more than make up for it.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:12 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
Well, that's a little disconcerting I suppose. Do you live near the city center or out in the suburbs?
I'm in the Stapleton neighborhood, about 7 miles east of downtown. It's a new urbanism development where the old airport used to be. It's all homes built in the last 13 years up to new builds. If you can find a house in Denver under $500K, then it's in an undesirable neighborhood, from what I can tell. Stapleton is getting to the point where a 3 bdr., 3 bath double garage house is around $600K.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:19 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
Do you know how much they make?
Recent grads <$50k.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:20 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
I'm in the Stapleton neighborhood, about 7 miles east of downtown. It's a new urbanism development where the old airport used to be. It's all homes built in the last 13 years up to new builds. If you can find a house in Denver under $500K, then it's in an undesirable neighborhood, from what I can tell. Stapleton is getting to the point where a 3 bdr., 3 bath double garage house is around $600K.
I also live in Stapleton and chose to go with a paired house, so I could get my 3 BD plus loft 2.5 BA with basement (unfinished), 2 car attached garage and a fairly long list of upgrades for very comfortably under 400K.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:24 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
Cars are overrated. Bikes are the way to go. Fuel is cheap (just need food), maintenance as well, and you can commute a good distance on them. I think I ride about 90% of the time. The roads are clear, and the weather is perfect for such things. Just leave the spandex at home
Good for you. I have 0 interest in riding a bike to work. If anything living in CO has convinced me that road bikers are not the brightest. Mine is for sale BTW.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:24 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
Quote:
Denver proper perhaps but there are new builds in our neighborhood in SE Aurora (Cherry Creek Schools) for around 400k.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:33 PM

556 posts, read 762,814 times
Quote:
I've always liked the southern suburbs and they have what appear to be really nice houses well under $400,000. I've thought they were nice neighborhoods too (Highlands Ranch, Ken Caryl, Littleton, Lone Tree, etc.). Is this incorrect?

The urban life does not appeal to me in the slightest, very much a suburb guy.

Last edited by guyatwork37; 03-30-2015 at 02:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver